4" Search Coil Question

l8nite4me

My wife purchased the Fisher F2 for me as a Father's Day gift, it came with a 4" Search Coil. When, Where and Why would I use the coil? Is it for tight spaces or is there some special secret detecting purpose for it?

It can help in really trashy areas with shallow targets. Goes about 2-4" deep depending on low to high sensitivity setting. I've found it helps you go slow and get a good feel for the tones and detector. However, now I feel I can do just as well with the 8" seperating/pinpointing targets in trashy areas and get 4-6" depth depending on sensitivity setting. It there is any other magic besides maybe the ability to probe tight places and tall grass let me know!

besides what detectingMo just wrote, then it will also let you get closer to a metalic fence and closer to powerlines.

/Steffen

In addition to above posts, I've read they're recommend when nugget shooting/ gold prospecting as they are supposedly more sensitive to smaller targets.
I don't have any experience with the 4" myself.

I have a 4" coil I bought for use with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and have found it really does help resolve individual targets located in either very trashy areas or places where desirable targets are densely packed together. In those spots, an 8" or larger coil may not allow my particular detector to discriminate the metal types properly because multiple targets are combined within the magnetic field... I guess it's just a jumble of signals to the circuitry. The 4" coil seems to help solve this problem by narrowing down the field to a single or at least fewer targets.

Also as others have mentioned, the 4" coil allows you to get closer to adjacent large metal objects before the detector sounds off. Despite the small magnetic field, I've found the depth capability is still surprisingly good. The obvious downside to its use is you aren't going to cover much ground very fast.

Think of it more as a specialized tool which is nice to have for special circumstances.

John L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't add to any of the great info above. I can say that along with my Delta, and Compadre, I have 2to Tracker IV units. I keep a 4"coil on one and a 8" on the other. I always take all 4 machines with me on a hunt, because I feel I will have all bases covered with the coils I have. Btw, I used the 4"coil today around a basketball court and found many coins I missed last week with my Delta :)

Use my 5.75 coil, almost exclusively for curb strips and medians. Lots of trash in some areas. Don't know for sure, but some driveways seem to have metal in them. Don't recall ever seeing on poured with re-barb, but could happen. Seem to get decent depth as well. Usually don't want to be digging a lot of hole, for scrap, and the smaller coil IDs better.

Smaller coils are good for getting closer to equipment in tot lots. In trashy areas they can detect coins without a piece of trash under the coil too. Several years ago a friend of mine and I got a call to search fro a ring. Instead of a ring, we ended up looking for a white gold diamond post earring without the back. Using it's mate, we discovered that it wouldn't even read on our 8" coils. By almost rubbing it across a four inch coil, we got a reading. On our hands and knees, we scrubbed the area. After several hours, first we found the back (also white gold) and about half an hour later, the earring. I don't know what it was worth but they gave us each twenty dollars for our efforts. Without the four inch coil, we would never have found it. This was on an old Whites 6000D.

Back
Top Bottom