10/2/09 Coin roll hunting

RIdetector

Forum Supporter
Did a $25 box of pennies today found 9 wheaties mostly 1940's-50's and one 1930.In the same roll as the 1930 wheatie was a new Lincoln 2009 log cabin penny ,go's to show you how fast there rerolling coins.:D

Do you just buy rolls of coins, look through them, and then take them back to the bank? There was a time that I would go to the bank on a regular basis for work, and buy any dollars or halves that I would see in the change tray of the teller, but I never bought rolls of coins to look through. How much trouble do they give you when you try to take rolls back to them? I seem to recall back in the 80's trying to turn in change that my aunt gave me from a big jar she collected it in. I had to write my name and account nuber on every roll. Not sure I wouold want to do that in todays day and age...

Anyd

I buy rolls of coins by the box from banks search them.Then I use just one bank which I have a account at as the drop bank.I've never had a problem so far.But I've heard from other's on the forum that they have to unroll all the coins into a bag, or use a coin counting machine at there bank and turn in the slip for $$.

Do you just buy rolls of coins, look through them, and then take them back to the bank? There was a time that I would go to the bank on a regular basis for work, and buy any dollars or halves that I would see in the change tray of the teller, but I never bought rolls of coins to look through. How much trouble do they give you when you try to take rolls back to them? I seem to recall back in the 80's trying to turn in change that my aunt gave me from a big jar she collected it in. I had to write my name and account nuber on every roll. Not sure I wouold want to do that in todays day and age...

Anyd

Seems like a growing number of banks around here aren't even dealing with taking rolls anymore ... there's a counter in the lobby. You drop the coins in, get a receipt, take it to the teller and they give you the money. Only problem with that is all the rolls they have are machine rolls, which for me haven't given up very much good stuff.

I will have to give this a try. None of the banks that I go to use the counting machine. I have seen it at the grocery store, but they charge you a 9% service fee to use it. Do the ones in the bank usually charge? Maybe free if you have an account there?

Back
Top Bottom