!914 D Wheatie

Chenzo016

Hi, I found a 1914 s wheatie and it is in great condition except....it has a green patena on it which isnt bad but i was wondering if it would take away the value.

The grey sheet

An older grey sheet I have(March 2010) breaks it down like this: G-21.00 VG-23.50 F-25.50 VF-33.50 XF-74.50.I gave you the average price of bid and ask. Nice find. The green may knock it down a grade.

If you intend selling it, don't do anything with it.
You can take the patina off, but you can't put it back (easily)

it has a green patena on it which isnt bad but i was wondering if it would take away the value.

The fact that it has green patina on it means that it is corroding. Now that it is not in the same place that turned it green in the first place (damp environment) the corroding will probably stop progressing. If the green is removed by chemical or mechanical means you will find out how far the corrosion has gone. If it has gone a long way into the metal after the green is removed you will be left with a coin with rough pitted surfaces that would be worth much less than a green coin with smooth surfaces. Once in awhile the green can be removed and a very nice coin is revealed under the green. It just depends how advanced the corrosion is on the coin. To answer your question though a green coin is worth less than one that is not green, my quess would be about half the value. If the green is removed and a pitted coin is revealed it then would be worth maybe one fourth the value of a nice non green coin. If the green covers more than half of the coin it probably has progressed to far to be removed successfully. Trust me I have ruined a few nice green coins and been left with pitted junkers.:gaah:

If you can post pictures I may be interested in buying it from you. I have almost a complete set of Lincoln's and I'm just missing a few, 14 D is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom