Old Baseball Field Research!

Z

zoyboy

Recently, I have been doing some research on an old baseball field that was abandoned in the early '30s. After perusing a few articles, I read that this field is no longer recognizable as a result of high weeds and grass. My detecting buddies and I are really looking forward to metal detecting it this year; it should be quite a dandy.

I was wondering, has anyone on this forum detected an area similar to this and, if so, was it extremely productive? Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Zoy,

If the grass isn't cut but the snow should push the old weeds and grass down I would hit it in the spring before the new grass starts to grow otherwise it gets too difficult to swing.

BTW bring lots of tick spray with you... And bring a relic shovel its too hard to get thru field grass with regular handheld shovels.

Yup. It's gonna be a hell of a buggy Spring 'cause of this mild Winter. :o(

Here's a picture of the abandoned baseball field.

Attachments

• ball_field_141_193.jpg
    ball_field_141_193.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 339
When did they play baseball there? Last century? ;)

That is a challenge but I would do it... Just think of the silver and old jewelry probably buried there... That spot would turn off most detectorists and that would be an advantage to you...

I agree wid dat, Craig.
You'd be suprised at the people that simply don't want "plant life" to touch their bodies, and get generally discouraged with the tall grass they hafta contend with... digging-wise. That's definately a very kewl advantage for th' "new detectorists' generation"!
Sweep the heck outa that spot, ZB... and while you're at it, offer some food to the gods at your campfire (throw it to the wind). Give them some of whatever you have. Upease the ancient spirits of this land-mass, and you'll be rewarded, 100-fold (so I'm told)! ;)
Hey... ya never know... this guy might've dropped one of them 1916D dimes slidin' into third base...! :D

Attachments

• johnson_127.jpg
    johnson_127.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 323
I'd try to determine the layout if possible. Hit the bleacher area, then along 1st and 3rd base lines, home plate and pitchers mound. Behind any cage / backstop area is usually always productive. I determining orientation I would see where the sun travels across the field. Determine least daytime effect, and you're probably facing the outfield.

ZB, Before and after the turn of the century, (last century that is) baseball was played everywhere, (the national sport.) There were more baseball fields then there are Walmarts now. Every one played or watched. Lacking places like Disney and theater megaplexes, and of course TV, this is where people congregated.

I read where the fields would be surrounded semi- circle by the old cars. and wagons, with families sitting and picknicking on blankets, and the bumpers and hoods of there cars. A social event. Every city and town had at least one really good team. They would travel around to other spots and play with a "pass of the hat" admission. There was also a lot of casual betting around the field. Is there railroad tracks nearby? My guess would be not to far from that site.
Like amusement parks, Baseball fields were situated near the track.
Off the train onto the field and back onto the train again, a couple games a day.

If I were doing that spot, I would try to figure how the diamond was layed out and then concentrate on the outskirts where the cheering was coming from, a half ring 20 ft out from 1st to 3rd........The stuff is there.....Gil

Thank you everyone for the great advice; I will definitely benefit from it. This baseball field was in operation for 28 years and, as I said before, it closed down in the early 1930s. My detecting buddies and I are going to scout the location a little better in order to determine its layout. My buddies are extremely excited by my research, and we hope to detect it sometime soon.

I will keep updating you guys with the latest information!

If the property owners don't mind, mow it first, no joke. It might help a lot. I think you should do good there.

See if you can figure out where the base line was and check behind 2nd,3rd, and home plate where kids slid into the bases and lost change. I have also done well in the short stop area for some reason. Good luck. Cladius.

Hey Z, if the properity owners don't mind you mowing it, give me a holler and I'll load up the bush-hog and tractor and do some mowing for you in exchange for a little detecting time :D great research and sweet site to hunt. good luck

I would hit the crap out of that place, ZB. Nice research, where have you gleaned this pertinent information? Your idol, Keith. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom