A Few Civil War Finds from Waterhead

Waterhead

Hey Gang,

Here is a pic of my civil war finds that I dug in Hopewell, Virginia today. I dug these in a Yankee cavalry camp that was located just off the James River.

Ten years ago I could go in this camp and dig a dozen carbine bullets in an hour. The bullets I usually dug consisted of Sharps, Burnsides, Smiths or Sharps & Hankins. The revolver bullets were also very numerous and sometimes you could dig 20 in an afternoon. And this place had lots of eagle buttons; in fact I can think of only one time that I did not dig an eagle button out of this camp.

To get these meager finds today, I spent 3 hours digging. People have slid into this place and pounded it to death. The days of filling my mini Plano tackle box up with relics from this camp are over. I recon I'm lucky enough to find what I did. To me, there's nothing better then digging civil war relics. I'm glad I live in Virginia where I have access to some areas to hunt.

Anyhow, this picture show a general service eagle button which is jacket size for the enlisted soldier (Waterbury Button Company back mark), two (2) .44 caliber Colt revolver bullets for the Colt Army, a very small colonial button and a .54 caliber Sharps Carbine bullet.

Thanks and I hope that you enjoy looking.

John
(Waterhead)

Attachments

• DSC03964.JPG
    DSC03964.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 389
sweet

good button looks to be in very nice shape , congrats on the relic finds Waterhead

To get these meager finds today, I spent 3 hours digging. People have slid into this place and pounded it to death. The days of filling my mini Plano tackle box up with relics from this camp are over. I recon I'm lucky enough to find what I did.

Very interesting. Try hitting the "not so obvious spots" in the camp.

Nice Digs John! Looks like you might have had a Cavalry Camp there....
And yours is in the same condition the one I hunted is in now also...... Im always happy to still find something there.... lots of times in areas I could have sworn I covered. Gotta love VA..... love hunting for CW relics.

Back
Top Bottom