cen tech pinpointer issue

raider

Hello All,

I picked up one of those cheaper pin pointers through Harbor Freight to help find the finds. and for a couple weeks it has worked super. but the other day, out of the blue, holding the button down it just keeps at a solid beep. no matter where the sensitiviy is set to. Do any of you know how I could possibly tweak the sensitivity?? Note: I did put in a new battery to make sure it wasn't that.

thanks,

From what others have told me the buttons usually go bad on them. I have have had mine for awhile with no issues. However I am on borrowed time i think. THe garrett pro pin pointer is on my list just haven't had the funds yet. I think i would just buy another one unless i could swing the garrett. I paid $16.99 for my cen tech thinking it would only last a month or two and it has hung in there.

Mine will do that if it gets a little too warm, like when it gets left in the sun. I've had this happen a couple of times. I toss it in my bag to cool off and then it'll work fine again in a few minutes. It seems that due to the cheap nature of this unit, it is quite susceptible to temp (cold or hot), moisture, and dust.
If you can't get it to stop, you might pull it apart and mess with the pots. There are some good tutorials available. Good luck.

Like the others have stated,the switches are terrible on these.However it's a very good PP. My Centech sticks at times,and it sounds like a dying rabbit LOL! So I know a trip to Rat Shack is due soon for a new switch. There is a trim pot located inside the unit. You can adjust it a bit,(I have), and get a bit more out of it.Just remember to mark the original setting with a marker on the trim pot. This way you can reset to the factory setting if it's too sensitive.Too much and the thing will not null out,giving a constant beep.

Like the others have stated,the switches are terrible on these.However it's a very good PP. My Centech sticks at times,and it sounds like a dying rabbit LOL! So I know a trip to Rat Shack is due soon for a new switch. There is a trim pot located inside the unit. You can adjust it a bit,(I have), and get a bit more out of it.Just remember to mark the original setting with a marker on the trim pot. This way you can reset to the factory setting if it's too sensitive.Too much and the thing will not null out,giving a constant beep.

My button went bad about 2 hours after I started using it.
Went to Radio Shack and got a better one.
There is also a sensitivity adjustment screw on the board inside, but lately the newer ones seem to be covered with a big glob of glue so that is harder to adjust, nowadays.

http://treasurebone.blogspot.com/2011/07/cen-tech-hand-held-metal-detector-mod.html

I just received a new cen-tech. Right out of the box replaced the switch, tweeked the internal pot and added a copper ring to supertune. I get a strong 2" on a penny.

here's the sensitivity pot, once you remove the 4 outside screws on the back of the case (do not remove the screw in the center of the back of the case, that holds the probe tight) anyway once ya open it up look for this......its the little blue box with a tiny screw on the top, my screwdriver is pointing to it. you only wanna turn it about a quarter turn, also make sure your outside sensitivity knob isn't turned up all the way down while your adjusting the internal pot or it won't stop beeping

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,857
I use the very scientific and technical method of whacking my Centech on the ground 2 or 3 times until it works again. I'm cosidering bringing a ball peen hammer with me for these oft-needed "field adjustments".:mad:

...only $47 more clad until my new Garrett ProPointer :yes:

I must have gotten a defective one. Mine sucks so bad, i decided to just go without a PP until my garrett arrives on wed.

here's the sensitivity pot, once you remove the 4 outside screws on the back of the case (do not remove the screw in the center of the back of the case, that holds the probe tight) anyway once ya open it up look for this......its the little blue box with a tiny screw on the top, my screwdriver is pointing to it. you only wanna turn it about a quarter turn, also make sure your outside sensitivity knob isn't turned up all the way down while your adjusting the internal pot or it won't stop beeping

I've seen a few deviations on where to solder the vibrating motor. Some solder it between the capacitor leads marked "BZ" on the bread board. I cannot tell where it is attached in the video that Digger posted.I think he said at the piezoelectric speaker lead? My trim pot adjustment looks the same.No torque stripe applied over it.I agree,only a 1/4 turn should suffice.

Messed around with 'super-tuning' my 'cen-tech' today.

After some experimentation..... works great!

I made mine with a slide of galvanizied 1/2" strap, bent around the wand.
I can use full tuning for extra sensitivity, ( at least 1" extra)
or slide the 'ring'with my forefinger to the box, and get normal "zeroing in" sensitivity.

I dug fewer craters on todays digs.....love it!

Mine will do that if it gets a little too warm, like when it gets left in the sun. I've had this happen a couple of times. I toss it in my bag to cool off and then it'll work fine again in a few minutes. It seems that due to the cheap nature of this unit, it is quite susceptible to temp (cold or hot), moisture, and dust.
If you can't get it to stop, you might pull it apart and mess with the pots. There are some good tutorials available. Good luck.

Very Nice..

Sure enough, its back to working, and have noticed that as the day goes by, the sensitivity needs adjusted more and more until there is no more to adjust.

thanks,

Thanks

Thanks for all the great ideas. Next chance I get, I'll try the adjusment of the sensitivity pot. and i'll be waiting for that switch to go out.

Back
Top Bottom