Coils for White's MXT, DFX and M6 Comparison Chart

Hi, browsing the net and found this site, I'm in UK. I've used the MXT for about 4 years and have three different coils for this machine, the best of the bunch is the Whites Eclipse Deep Scan 1400 which is 14" x 8". It's a little heavy but a fantastic coil, I've had finds down to 10" and the pinpointing is pretty good.
The UK farm fields at this time of year are in stubble and this coil, being pretty robust and heavy. is good at pushing the stubble down on the swing and getting close to the ground, it makes a lot of difference. The closer to the ground you can get the better.
I pulled out a nice silver Charles II half groat at about 7", this coin is exactly half an inch in diameter and wafer thin. Pity about the stab wound !!

Congratulations,
you have found a very nice old coin.
I wonder what could have been the cause for that hole in the coin.
Was it perhaps used as a medal ?

It was probably pierced by a dagger to put string through to hang around the neck for safety. That's what it looks like to me anyway.

13rannon,

My group actually ran tests on the Eclipse Shoot DD Coil.

In our test bed with the White’s Eclipse Shoot DD 4x6 Coil on my MXT here’s how the coil performed with the gain on factory preset:

“Copper” Penny at 6 inches.
“Silver” Dime at 6 inches.
Nickel at 7 inches.
“Silver” Quarter at 8 inches.

Note: With this coil you can run an MXT at +1 or even + 2 in most cases with no problem at all and get an extra inch or two.

Will hunting a local park that dates back to the 1700s, I was running this coil at the factory preset, went back and coved the same ground at + 1 and got a “Whisper.” I dialed up to + 2 + 3 and got a good lock and pinpointed the target at 12 inches. However when digging I recovered my target at 10 inches, which turned out to be a beautiful 1906 Barber Half Dollar! So I know this coil can hit a “Silver” Half-dollar at 10.”

As for the 10" DD Coils:

My Friend has the White’s D2 10” DD, I have the EXcelerator 10” DD from Kellyco. I find the EXcelerator to be slightly heavier and more durable, and it seems to get a “Silver” Dime a little deeper then the White’s D2.

We have not tested these coil in a test bed as of yet because we’ve been much too busy making many very nice recoveries with these exceptional coils.

To give an idea how this coil performs, here’s some examples of what it’s done for me in the field while hunting the CCC Camps I wrote about in my thread:

With my EXcelerator 10” DD Coil on my MXT I have recovered “Silver” Dimes as deep as 11 inches, a Morgan Dollars as deep as 11 inches (No question it could recover a “Silver” Dollar much deeper) and I have dug a Ben Franklin Half Dollars at 12 inches and again there is no question about it being able to get this coin even deeper.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about getting the 8x6 butterfly or 12x10 but I think I'll get the 10" DD now.

Hey everybody. I have enough experience with a few coils (not all) that I decided to make up this little comparison chart to those decide which coils to buy. These only consist of White's and EXcelerator from Kellyco. I added the Sunray DX-1 because it is indeed a 1" coil.

I have an MXT and hunt mostly in the southern Idaho area. Our soil is made from basalt flow rock, river rock and sand/silt and typically has a Ground value of 55-67. Remember, this is based on my experience. The dime depth is the maximum audio for a whisper with a possible inaccurate VDI, but a good sounding target (You veterans know what I'm talking about!!!). I always hunt in relic mode, set to 9 and high discrimination that starts allowing +60 VDI. I usually hunt in areas that are moist after rain or sprinklers. Feel free to chime in with your experience. Please restrain from "one off" finds.

Here is the Key:
Brand - Size - Type - Max Dime Depth - Best Used In - P: Pros - C: Cons

White's - 9.5" - Concentric - 7" - General Purpose with lower mineralization -P: Good for coins in moderate trashy areas - C: is easily masked if target is close together

White's - 6x10" Eclipse - DD - 6" - General Purpose with higher mineralization - P: Good for coins in moderate to more trashy areas; will not mask very easily; Bottle Caps ring up as Quarters - C: Slightly less depth

White's - 12" Spider - Concentric - 8" - Deep seeker in lower mineralized soil - P: Good depth for larger targets C: bad in cluttered areas. Will produce ghost signals for deep ferrous

EXcelerator - 5" Pro - DD - 7" - Trashy Areas, Trees, Tot lots around metal equipment, high mineralization, gold flakes - P: Can find the smallest ojects. VDI's are very accurate. Very accurate pin pointing. C: Depth indication is closer than indicated. You have to go very SLOW in trashy areas. Does not cover very much area. Easy to miss targets. Can overload on a surface quarter.

EXcelerator - 6" Pro - DD - 8" - Trashy Areas, Trees, Tot lots, small gold nuggets - P: Great depth, great separation of targets. great for trashy areas. Mostely accurate VDI. Accurate pin pointing. Accurate Depth. C: Not cover much area. Can overload on a surface half dollar. Will mistaken an occasional bottle cap for a quarter.

EXcelerator - 10" DD - DD - 10" - General Purpose, high mineralization - P: Good target seperation. Can be used in moderately trashy areas. Farely accurate VDI. Great depth. Accurate depth indication. Accurate Pin Pointing. C: Loves bottle caps and balls of foil.

EXcelerator - 10x14" DD - DD - 9" - open field, high mineralization - P: Accurate pin pointing. Accurate depth indicator for non-ferrious. C: Loss of depth for smaller objects. Will produce ghost signals in wet ground and deep ferrous material. Not so accurate VDIs. Heavy.

EXcelerator - 10x12" SEF - Butterfly -11" - General Purpose, high mineralization - P: Great target separation. Accurate VDI. Great Depth. Can be used in open fields or moderately trashy areas. Will find smaller objects. C: May be hard to pin point at times. If target is on edge, it will deflect the signal and give false position. May produce ghost signals in wet soil and ferrous material will be several inches farther away than the depth indicator shows. All targets are about 1" deeper than indicated if more than 3" deep. Heavy.

SunRay DX-1 Probe - 1" - Concentric - 4" - Special Purpose Inline Pin Pointer Probe - P: Extremely accurate VDI - It NEVER lies. Eliminates the use of a separate pin pointer probe. Uses native MD indications in headset and readings. C: A switch has to be thrown for operation, which may cause the user to forget to throw the switch back for MD operation. When switching back to main coil, the coil has to be pointed to the ground, or the MXT will have to take several seconds to "see" the ground fully. Adds a little more weight.

As mentioned before, this is based on my experience. I have not owned all the coils, just the ones listed. I believe the coils I own now is all I need and have been very successful at finding silver in parks and schools that have been hit hard in the past 30 years.

I hope this was informative.

Disclosure: I am not in any way influenced by Kellyco or EXcelerator. Everything is based on my experience. Not every coil is exactly the same within its own model number. Results may vary from location, soil conditions, equipment and the user.

Happy Hunting!!!!

Wow! Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Great post! But it seems the EXcelerator 10" DD is no longer available. I waited and have now lost out.:(

you can still go for the white's 10DD

it seems to be a good choice, maybe the next coil for my mxt too

Back
Top Bottom