how do you grid your park?

MDzombie

when i go detecting i find myself wandering around all over the place. even though i try not too. i really look like a zombie with a detector...or drunk LOL any thing you all do to keep a straight line?

Often I use the mower paths. As long as they are relatively straight, and didn't miss anything, I figure that they are as good a guide as any, and they tend to be a good width for my swing (allowing for sufficient overlap). And often, they will mow one direction one time, and another direction the next. So w/o making any actual marks anywhere myself, they have provided me with a grid.

Yellow plastic tent stakes. About $3 a dozen and if you forget one no big whoop it will be there when you return.

I pick a landmark like a post walk as straight as I can towards it. I am kind of like you though. I will end up meandering as a find will pull me into its orbit then fling me past once I break free of the gravitational field. Once free I will head towards the area that looks the most promising.

I like to define a search area that is not too large, say 30x30. Then I work that area then do another that size and work the blocks thoroughly. That way I know I have covered that area.

I go for around the seating area first, then tot lot, then beside the paths and tracks, then around the car park and around the nice covered trees....leave the wide expanses until theres nothing left then line up trees, fences, buildings.

If you go when the dew is still on the ground or the grass hasn't yet been mown, you can see the path left by your indented footprints. After making your first path and as you make your final sweep, STOP the coil and lay in on the ground and WALK AROUND the coil (still planted on the ground) and face the other direction with the detector and start sweeping and the coil will now be the START of your next path and you will be following your footprints. I learned this as a competition hunter minus the footprints and won first place in a speed hunt and was at the last of 3 fields BEFORE anyone left the first field! The other contestants thought I had GIVEN UP!

Back
Top Bottom