new excalibur 800

Franz

Forum Supporter
Just got my new excal 800 today. It looks great. I'm so used to the 10" tornado coil on my sovereign that the little 8" bbs coil looks funny! I think both batteries that came with it were fully discharged as I get no sound whatsoever when I turn it on. One was mounted already and the power was turned on, so I know that one is discharged for sure. Needless to say, the first one is charging now, and tomorrow am, the next one goes on the charger. Couple questions for the knowledgeable out there:

1) There is a little rubber washer/gasket type thing (three holes for the contacts and alignment screw) that fits on the connector plug. I assume this is to prevent water contact with the connection. Does anyone know where I can find extras? If not, I guess I could just make some from a bicycle inner tube.

2) I see the batteries are rechargeable Ni-Cads. I don't know how much use they've seen, so I'm wondering how much life they have left. Do the excal II batteries work w/ the excal 800?

I was looking forward to summer before, but now I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Happy hunting all, and thanks in advance for any responses!

The little rubber washer is the seal to waterproof the battery compartment. you may want to get the originals from Minelab, because once the water gets in your battery is screwed. As for the lifespan of battery, I have a new Excal II unused for a year, after charging it for 14 hrs, it only lasted me about 3-4hrs. hope that helps.

I guess I'm ok with 3-4hrs per charge having two batteries, but I'm more concerned w/ how many more charges my battery packs have left in them before they're kaput. I don't see why I couldn't use an excal II nimh pack as long as it's 12volts too (which I'm assuming it is) and has the same connector setup (that I'm not sure of). I'd just have to get a nimh charger as well.

edit- ok, just found out the excal II pack will work.. got confused, thought original excalibur meant 800's and 1000's.

Last edited:
Battery re-charges

My Excal 800, and 1000 batteries were short lived when I first got them. With more charge/discharges, they will actually get stronger probably.

You can also buy replacement batteries from someplace online - I don't remember the name of the place, but I have a receipt somewhere. They fit perfectly, and have a charger you can get that goes into trickle mode once they are fully charged.

The NiMH batteries, if they have set for a long while, need to wake up, by being charged, used, charged, used. I'm up to full-day hunts, but at first, I was doing good to get three hours out of a pack.

Back
Top Bottom