Estimating Living Tree Age

Sagewood

Stumbled upon a site that shows a method for estimating a living trees age. This is something I have wondered about while detecting in forested areas. I've wanted to determine if certain trees were around the era I am expecting to find relics from. If they are old enough, I swing my coil around them.

https://www.thoughtco.com/estimating-forest-trees-age-1343321

This is a pretty brief overview. I found more in depth stuff for my specific state elsewhere online.

Estimating a Tree's Age by Species

Begin by determining the tree species and taking a diameter measurement (or convert a circumference to a diameter measurement) using a tape measure at diameter breast height or 4.5 feet above stump level. If you are using circumference, you will need to make this calculation to determine the tree diameter: Diameter = Circumference divided by 3.14 (pi)

Then calculate the age of a tree by multiplying the tree's diameter by its growth factor as determined by species (see list below): Here is the formula: Diameter X Growth Factor = Approximate Tree Age. Let's use a red maple to calculate age. A red maple's growth factor has been determined to be 4.5 and you have determined that its diameter is 10 inches: 10 inch diameter X 4.5 growth factor = 45 years. Remember that the growth factors provided are more accurate when taken from forest grown trees with competition.
Growth Factors by Tree Species

Red Maple Species - 4.5 Growth Factor X diameter
Silver Maple Species - 3.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Sugar Maple Species - 5.0 Growth Factor X diameter
River Birch Species - 3.5 Growth Factor X diameter
White Birch Species - 5.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Shagbark Hickory Species - 7.5 Growth Factor X diameter
Green Ash Species - 4.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Black Walnut Species - 4.5 Growth Factor X diameter
Black Cherry Species - 5.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Red Oak Species - 4.0 Growth Factor X diameter
White Oak Species - 5.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Pin Oak Species - 3.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Basswood Species - 3.0 Growth Factor X diameter
American Elm Species - 4.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Ironwood Species - 7.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Cottonwood Species - 2.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Redbud Species - 7.0 Growth Factor
Dogwood Species - 7.0 Growth Factor X diameter
Aspen Species - 2.0 Growth Factor X diameter

Last edited:
Useful information for sure. I ran into an oak tree in the Quabbin watershed at the edge of what was once a farm field. The thing had to be at least 5 feet in diameter. This this was HUGE. I figured it had to be over 300 years old given the size of the thing. My guess isn't too far off it seems.

We have a Live Oak Tree just outside Charleston Sc that is 28 feet in diameter.

The actual age of the tree can not be determines as it is hollow. A lot of older live oak trees are hollow. I have seen estimates of 300 to 1500 hears old.

The area that the tree shades is in excess of 17,000 square feet.

It is called "Angel Oak":. It is one magnificent tree.

We have a Live Oak Tree just outside Charleston Sc that is 28 feet in diameter.

The actual age of the tree can not be determines as it is hollow. A lot of older live oak trees are hollow. I have seen estimates of 300 to 1500 hears old.

The area that the tree shades is in excess of 17,000 square feet.

It is called "Angel Oak":. It is one magnificent tree.

They featured that oak tree in a TV commercial recently, showing it was still standing after the last hurricane. Pretty amazing character; that tree!

imagine what land was used for by ages of trees

Just cut it down and count the rings... :laughing:

Great information, really. Tree age is a great indicator of drop age.

BCD

When in the woods I estimate the tree age and try to picture what the land was like 40-60 years ago. But around where I live in north atlanta the trees have been cut back in the 30's so it is hard to find old growth. I am lucky that there is some 200 acres near my house along the chattahoochee river where there are still old growth oaks that are 4-5 feet in diameter. one pecan tree that is about 3 feet diameter which I think is a slow growing tree. But have not found much around those large trees with the AT Pro several years ago. Maybe need to take my Nox 800 out and try again.

In this same area there are trees 60-70 years old my my estimates. and in those trees on some slight hills you can see the terrace farming that was practiced in the 1930's. I have hunted those terraces and found a lot of horse and mule buckles and other metal tack as well as old plow blades and horse shoes. So if you are in the woods look for terraces. mine were about 20 feet wide, 100 - 200 long and a drop of about 1.5 - 2 feet and of course followed the curve of the hill. they did this to stop soil erosion.

Never found any old or silver coins in these older fields.

Ok, I deleted the next three paragraphs. found myself slipping off in the direction of bitching about politicians. and one reason I like this forum is that it is mostly free from the political stuff. Thank you forum members and admins.

Nice info!

I've gotten to where I pretty much just look at the tree and can get a good idea on the age. Besides, I wouldn't know a Black Walnut from a Black Cherry LOL.

problem is that it depends on the environment of the tree. Maples for example, if growing in a crowed environment can look like a 10 - 20 foot sapling for 50 years until something dies and gets out of it's way and it is allowed to grow. It can then pop up and grow quicker. so this chart is probably only good reference about 75 percent of time.

problem is that it depends on the environment of the tree. Maples for example, if growing in a crowed environment can look like a 10 - 20 foot sapling for 50 years until something dies and gets out of it's way and it is allowed to grow. It can then pop up and grow quicker. so this chart is probably only good reference about 75 percent of time.

Exactly.
The local environment has a lot to do with rate of tree growth. all the factors have an effect.
Another example is high in the mountains where the true growing season is short. A 100 year old ponderosa pine can be only 4-5 inches diameter whereas the same tree growing in the valley will be several feet in diameter.

One other thing if you count the rings on a stump only count the dark or light ones not both

Location,lighting,water,rocky soil,mineral content in soil,,etc all play a part in a trees ability to grow.Just like a goldfish,give it more room to grow and it turns into a carp..Trees in the forest grow very slowly fighting for the light and water .A tree in the middle of the yard by itself will grow 5 xs faster than a tree in the woods.Rings are a wives tale guess,not accurate.

Back
Top Bottom