REPORT CARD: One year of finds and expenses

A lot of hobbies have a high initial cost. Golf clubs, fishing tackle, tennis equipment, hunting gear, or whatever, but if the hobby brings enjoyment it has already paid for itself. Other than the enjoyment, detecting is probably the one that monetarily speaking brings back the most return on your investment. I keep records of my finds but that's also part of the fun.

All that record keeping is too much like work. For 20 years I had to keep a record of everything that happened. If nothing transpired in a one hour period I had to also record that fact.

I metal detect for fun. Record keeping is not fun for me. I do keep a record of how much clad I find and any other pm for each outing. I do not record how many stinking zincolns I find.

With the exception of the vehicle expenses I don't worry about what I spend on the hobby. If I did not spend the money on detecting it would be on fishing or hunting etc. Most of my metal detecting expenses are paid out of funds acquired from detecting.

But for those who like to keep records. Record on brother.

All that record keeping is too much like work. For 20 years I had to keep a record of everything that happened. If nothing transpired in a one hour period I had to also record that fact.

I metal detect for fun. Record keeping is not fun for me. I do keep a record of how much clad I find and any other pm for each outing. I do not record how many stinking zincolns I find.

With the exception of the vehicle expenses I don't worry about what I spend on the hobby. If I did not spend the money on detecting it would be on fishing or hunting etc. Most of my metal detecting expenses are paid out of funds acquired from detecting.

But for those who like to keep records. Record on brother.

:yes: I just went through my purchase history on Amazon and eBay and compiled the list.
Curiosity got the best of me.

After jumping in head first of October 2017, here is what I spent and found treasure hunting .

$60 Bounty Hunter Quicksilver MD
$1.50 gardener knee pad
$3.50 spade
$20 HF pinpointer
$30 Bounty Hunter 3300 MD
- $80 SOLD Bounty Hunter 3300 MD
-$50 SOLD Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
$440 Ace350 and Garrett Pinpointer
$14.69 Ace 350 coil cover
$12.70 Ace 350 control box cover
-$220 SOLD Ace 350
$603 Tesoro Sand Shark
$20 Sand Shark body mount
$18.50 Sand Shark extension
$11.90 tesoro coil cover
-$400 SOLD Sand shark
$675 AT Max
$15 AT Max cover
$825 Equinox 800
$40 Digger
$25.99 Ring Display Case
$3.50 Camera Mount
$21.29 Mandrel and hammer
$16.78 Puritest
$15.99 diamond tester
$11.89 polishing compound
$15 raptor handle
$9 spray bottle
$1.99 gloves
$108 scoop
$10 scoop handle
$4 iron on patch
$10 camera mount
$9 camera mount
$7 headlamp
$31 wetsuit boots
$10 water shoes
$10 water shoes
$7 loupe
$5 brass probe
$13 Equinox arm pad
$23 Equiox box cover
$6.25 waterproof cell phone case
$3.50 emi filter
$1.89 emi filter
$8 battery storage box
$1 inline volume control
$15 Garrett finds pouch
$11 sand scoop
$20 rechargeable batteries
$7 9 volt
$32 HF tumbler
$5 Brasso
$15 Energizer headlamp
$64 scoop step on scoop
$69 sand scoop
$39 Shipping to trade AT Max for Nox 600

= $2706.86, that's not including gas and RedBull!

So I spent all that to start up and this is what I've found:

Congratulations!
very encouraging to see that it definitely can pay for itself,
thanks for the post Walrus!:bling:

Each of my detectors have paid for themselves many times over. Just this summer I cashed in all my clad from 2 years worth of detecting and it came to over $1400.00. Not included in that are the dozens of rings of all types.

THere's also been some ring saves where people call and ask me to come out and find a ring to something like that. One fella from Korea asked me to find his ring on the beach and it only took me 10 min. I do it for nothing but he insisted I take $300. Why? because he didn't have to explain he lost his ring to his wife... lol

Each of my detectors have paid for themselves many times over. Just this summer I cashed in all my clad from 2 years worth of detecting and it came to over $1400.00. Not included in that are the dozens of rings of all types.

THere's also been some ring saves where people call and ask me to come out and find a ring to something like that. One fella from Korea asked me to find his ring on the beach and it only took me 10 min. I do it for nothing but he insisted I take $300. Why? because he didn't have to explain he lost his ring to his wife... lol

Jackpot! $1400 is amazing
Reward was awesome too.
I forgot to add mine.

Jackpot! $1400 is amazing
Reward was awesome too.
I forgot to add mine.

Now that is the best reason I have heard from taking reward money. You know when you do something like losing your wedding ring, a will will bring that up for the next 30 years. Wives have long memories of your screw ups.

Wow, that's a lot of detectors to blow through in just a year. Hardly seems you had time to really learn one before jumping to another... and another... and another... and another... and another :?:

You are right, but I noticed he didn't buy any after the Equinox 800. Probably too busy learning the dang thing.

Wow.... you cycled through alot of stuff to get started. The exact reason you posted this is the same reason I would never create something similar. My wife catches wind of it and I'll be saving on utilities by sleeping in the doghouse, and I've not gone through even half the equipment you have. That being said in the 5 or so years I've been detecting I have paid off my equipment just in clad alone. We will not factor in gas or I'm sure I'm way in the hole.

same here, I sell things on ebay to build up my paypal account for my hobboy purchases. she does not monitor that account (lucky me) . If she did she would have me transferring the funds to our joint checking account and spend it before I could even think about spending it. Still, she is my soul mate and I lover her so much. and yeah she does not get on these forums.

You are right, but I noticed he didn't buy any after the Equinox 800. Probably too busy learning the dang thing.

Honestly, I knew how to use one before I ever had one in my hand. Counless hours watching vids, reading on this forum and downloading the manual gave me a jump start on the gold.

Well, it looks like a good year to me. All that gold and silver is way more than I have found in any year. All that buying and selling of detectors and gear is beyond my experiences too. All told, I see a lot of learnin' and livin'! Good report! Looking forward, now, to your October 2019 report card.

I love the little plastic "parts" box you are using...I'm using an old wooden cigar box now...I'll have to pick one of those up (or find one in my garage, I KNOW I have some somewhere) for my "keepers"

Awesome first year..it's a GREAT hobby

Back
Top Bottom