M16 Assault Rifle in own Backyard!

Along with the other things mentioned I haven't seen an upper with the carry handle pinned in before. I'm voting Airsoft.

PLEASE let us know what the police tell you.

This is a common one. It is a TOY gun and not the real thing. I forget who sold it but I remeber wanting one as a kid. This was the Vietname ERA and we wanted to play with the same stuff as kids. It was made in the late '60s until about 1970. No gun manufacture ever marked a gun an "ASSAULT RIFLE", ever. In the '60s and "70s, toy guns were extremely realistic. Hope this helps.

Wow

That looks legit military former residents may have been prior military I know we had a lot of equipment come up missing during Desert Storm. They will be able to trace the serial numbers back to what unit it's missing from and when somebody going to jail. I remember someone from my unit had stole C4 and they traced the serial numbers.:?::?::?::?::?::?:

I did some googling after seeing this, and was able to find one lower receiver that was stamped M16 with similar lettering. It did not say Assault Rifle, and the stamping was on the right hand side of the receiver, not the left. Just mentioning this that the stampings themselves alone do not rule out this being a real gun.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Early_non_colt_civilian_ARs_/123-486030/

They did roll mark them M16 (M16A2,etc...), but never "Assault Rifle".
And for those that don't know, that's not what "AR" stands for either.

I'm going with something similar to a Mattel M16 Marauder. Not that specifically, because it would be stamped with "Mattel" on the grip....... On a side note, one still in box sold for $500+ at auction..... ;)

Attachments

• m16.jpg
    m16.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 767
No, it stands for ARMALITE.

And from what info I've read, it was originally issued to Air Force troops as the AR-15. Modified by the U.S. Army, and designated the M16-A1, and initially hated by the Vietnam Veterans. (Small tidbit of trivia; The original manufacturer of the stocks and handguards was Mattel Toy Company.)

Roger

Well that puts a different light on the situation. With the video it did seem to be more real. I cant imagine a toy or prop manufacturer going through the effort to make the internal springs. My initial observation of a skinny carrier grip was apparently a 2D deception. The apertures were intact. I don't know. I would still say not military issue but could be real.

And from what info I've read, it was originally issued to Air Force troops as the AR-15. Modified by the U.S. Army, and designated the M16-A1, and initially hated by the Vietnam Veterans. (Small tidbit of trivia; The original manufacturer of the stocks and handguards was Mattel Toy Company.)

Roger

Your trivia is pure urban legend. Mattel did not make stocks or handguards for the military.

To all of you looking at this who are familiar with AR's/M16's, scroll to the video at 3:11. Whatever is projecting from the right side of the upper receiver does not look like any forward assist I've ever seen. I now vote movie prop/toy as well.

Back
Top Bottom