• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting After Cataract Surgery?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
What is the metal detecting routine like following cataract surgery? I read some advice saying not to do anything strenuous for weeks. Bending seems like a no-no right after the surgery. Will cataract surgery keep me down & out for normal metal detecting? Dig deep? When can you bend at the hip?

Are the warnings possibly over exaggerated and a couple of weeks will get me back to bending at the hip over a hole? I'd hate to find I will miss several weeks of mild temps here in Texas, if semi hard digging is a problem for a month? Thanks

I would think that repeated bending over would momentarily increase blood pressure and pressure in the eyeballs.. would be the same as doing strenuous work like lifting stuff.. IMHO I would follow Doctor's orders..

Not to mention what if you got dirt in your eye, which is not uncommon.

Ask the Surgeon. I asked about shooting my deer rifle and he said why do you ask. I told him i was going deer hunting in a couple weeks and he said Have At It. Not going to cause a problem. I do not recall any restrictions that he put on me after i had either eye done. The lens is not free floating in the eye It attaches.

Exactly! Consult with your doctor.
Basically, your lens is enclosed in a capsule in the front of the eye (( ))
and what they do is open the capsule ((_)) with a small cut
and take the lens out, ( )
and then insert a lens with tiny 'arms' that curl around and anchor it into the capsule (@)
and seal the cut. Thus, the lens is safe and sound within the capsule. |)) <-- side view.
There is little to no danger of the lens displacing.

In my case (see "Birthday Prezzie for SageGrouse) thread) after 15 years, the lens capsule has shrunk and the lens is displaced so that I am no longer looking through the center, but through the side, AND since they had to window the capsule earlier, it's also falling OUT of my eye... but that is because my eyes are already pathological. You will not have the same problems, most likely.
Still, as always... ask your doctor!
Sage(blurry)Grouse

I had cataract surgery on my left eye about a year and a half ago. Today, with the technic they use, you won't be out long at all. The cuts are so small, they will heal really quickly. You will be out swinging and digging in no time.

Back
Top Bottom