F75 and Whites Mx Sport not detecting silver in test plug

TrashMasterCCS

Elite Member
Hey guys, I threw a silver Rosie into a plug I dug. My F75 and buddies Whites couldn't pick it up at 6". I removed the plug and we still couldn't detect it even though we are staring at the thing. We changed angles, messed with settings ect... Why would this occur? My soil is red clay. He has been detecting for 7 years and I have been for 6 months. We are pretty decent at the tricks of the trade. We are detecting a solid 18 hours a week. Long story short we aren't completely retarded. Any insight? Thanks!

Hey guys, I threw a silver Rosie into a plug I dug. My F75 and buddies Whites couldn't pick it up at 6". I removed the plug and we still couldn't detect it even though we are staring at the thing. We changed angles, messed with settings ect... Why would this occur? My soil is red clay. He has been detecting for 7 years and I have been for 6 months. We are pretty decent at the tricks of the trade. We are detecting a solid 18 hours a week. Long story short we aren't completely retarded. Any insight? Thanks!

Okay,

When you did sweep with the detectors,,,did they give any tone whatsoever???
And even an iron ID vdi wise???

Could also be a contaminated plug.

Try another.

Also,,when bobbing coil of F75 over clean ground,,,how many bars showing in minerlization meter??? Stock coil

Yes. There was nothing in it. I even removed the plug. The only thing between our coils and silver was air. We have both dug silver coins at different depths. It just seemed really odd.

Yes. There was nothing in it. I even removed the plug. The only thing between our coils and silver was air. We have both dug silver coins at different depths. It just seemed really odd.

Did you have one detector turned off,,while the other one was being used??

And vice versa.

Both units do airtest on dime properly, right??

The VDI gave me a very broken signal. It acted like an iron nail. I checked the plug and it registered nothing. After removing the plug both our detectors went completely silent. Iair between our coils and dimes...

The VDI gave me a very broken signal. It acted like an iron nail. I checked the plug and it registered nothing. After removing the plug both our detectors went completely silent. Iair between our coils and dimes...

What about the soil mineral levels,,See above what I said.

Did you have one detector turned off,,while the other one was being used??

And vice versa.

Both units do airtest on dime properly, right??

We're there batteries in it?.. lol..just a joke ,I'm sure something's not right though,you shoulda hit it.
Try it again,something's up

Let me put it to you guys this way. we have dug a seated dime, reales, silver pendant and rosies before and after this incident. Both detectors were in normal operation and still are. That's why I'm asking. It was a very odd incident. And yes they air test properly.

TN, it's high mineralization and both detectors were on. My detector has shielding but yes both detectors were on and near each other. About 4 ft. Away.

did you have nails disc out , I have a theory there was a nailor nails laying close to surface of the ground at the edge of the plug. you can try this yourself cut a 6 inch plug and put 2 nails on top of the ground at the edge of the plug on both sides and disc them out and put a coin in the bottom you will get silence. thats just my theory of what happened.

Well,,,those 2 detectors are running near one another freq wise,,,very close in fact.

Sounds like soil minerals to me.

I've seen about every detector I have do what you are saying.

Actually,,,probably my Nokta relic detector the worst of all,,,but make no mistake,,,it WILL hunt.

Soil matrix disturbed,,,can do funny things to detectors sometimes.

And yes some folks try and relate to air testing (when plug is out) NOT the same.

TN, it's high mineralization and both detectors were on. My detector has shielding but yes both detectors were on and near each other. About 4 ft. Away.

Too close. I've experienced this with two detectors close in frequency. Even 10 feet away with no audible interference only a few inches of depth.

Cave city layer,,,

Shielded????

Not entirely,,,your coil is like an atenna.

No vlf detector made is totally immune from EMI all the time.
Mitigation can help,,,but usually EMI affects not fully removed.

Try this,,,let someone get close to you with a FBS detector,,and let them do noise cancel,,,,listen to your detector through headsets.

You will hear the FBS machine actually cycle.

did you have nails disc out , I have a theory there was a nailor nails laying close to surface of the ground at the edge of the plug. you can try this yourself cut a 6 inch plug and put 2 nails on top of the ground at the edge of the plug on both sides and disc them out and put a coin in the bottom you will get silence. thats just my theory of what happened.

Well,,,those 2 detectors are running near one another freq wise,,,very close in fact.

Sounds like soil minerals to me.

I've seen about every detector I have do what you are saying.

Actually,,,probably my Nokta relic detector the worst of all,,,but make no mistake,,,it WILL hunt.

Soil matrix disturbed,,,can do funny things to detectors sometimes.

And yes some folks try and relate to air testing (when plug is out) NOT the same.

Too close. I've experienced this with two detectors close in frequency. Even 10 feet away with no audible interference only a few inches of depth.

Cave city layer,,,

Shielded????

Not entirely,,,your coil is like an atenna.

No vlf detector made is totally immune from EMI all the time.
Mitigation can help,,,but usually EMI affects not fully removed.

Try this,,,let someone get close to you with a FBS detector,,and let them do noise cancel,,,,listen to your detector through headsets.

You will hear the FBS machine actually cycle.

Thanks for the info. I know it wasn't a nail or nails. I was very careful about checking the plug. Used my pinpointer and detector. I'm leaning towards being to close to one another. I'll run a test and get back to you guys. Funny part is we went hunting today and detected side by side most of the time. We barely found anything and assumed the parks were hunted out. Now I'm wondering if we were too close. Thanks again guys. The info. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I know it wasn't a nail or nails. I was very careful about checking the plug. Used my pinpointer and detector. I'm leaning towards being to close to one another. I'll run a test and get back to you guys. Funny part is we went hunting today and detected side by side most of the time. We barely found anything and assumed the parks were hunted out. Now I'm wondering if we were too close. Thanks again guys. The info. is greatly appreciated.

You are welcome.

A reminder,,,this may sound like I am BSing you here,,,,but just because your detector and or pinpointer doesn't detector ferrous or nonferrous in a plug,,,,doesn't necessarily mean none exist.

The smallest piece in the right place can cause detectors a problem with detecting.

Most folks who do " more professional test" for lack of better term,,,,do use an earth magnet,,,to get all the ferrous material out.

And doing this with an earth magnet,,,,could in fact skew a test,,,since in higher mineral ground,,,some of the minerals could be extracted.

Btw I've owned and used both MX sport and F75 series detectors.
MX sport will run circles around F75 in higher mineral ground.

Here's a hunt with me and gent,,,some hot ground,,,,notice the magnet.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,81931,81939#msg-81939

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info. and advice. I believe you. I know I don't know all the tricks of the trade. I really do appreciate all the information you guys put forth. I bought my F75 as a beginner. Is there a specific detector you would recommend when I do upgrade? I'm almost always hunting in red clay areas.

Juat because your soil is "red" clay,,,,doesn't mean it is abnormally high mineralized.

Your F75 with stock coil,,,,bob it over some of your detecting locales. Stock coil.

You see 5bars or more= big trouble,,,,but there are some better Vlf detectors for these levels.

You see. 4 bars,,,this IMO narrows the field quite a bit detector wise.

Three bars or less,,,your selection very wide.

Just have to match what you intend to do detecting wise,,,,coins,,relics,,jewelry.

I'm usually at 3 bars. I hunt old mining towns, parks, back yards, anything with possibilities. The remote areas are the ones with 3 bars and my most common hunting area.

Back
Top Bottom