Gold Panning North Carolina or Virginia?

CTCurt

Super Mod
Forum Supporter
As some of you know, I've been on vacation in Florida. I'll be driving North next week toward home, but would love to do a little panning along the way. I have all my equip. with me. Would appreciate some tips on areas to try. Would like somewhere off the beaten path. Thanks for any help you can offer....Curt (Fell free to PM me also)

You may want to do a little research on Uwharrie National Forest. There are a few creeks there that hold some gold!

I checked a couple of those pay to pan gold mines , but they seem to be closed till about the middle of march . I found a website , WWW.IOWAGOLD.COM . This site tells of old gold mines all over the state . Don't know if it will help you any , but it is interesting . I'm going to look into some of these places myself . My daughter told me a while back that she found a place that was open year round within 50 miles of the charlotte area , which is my area . I'll let you know what I find out about that . If you end up coming thru this area , If I can sneak away from work , I'd be glad to try and hook up for some panning or detecting . I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with .

I checked a couple of those pay to pan gold mines , but they seem to be closed till about the middle of march . I found a website , WWW.IOWAGOLD.COM . This site tells of old gold mines all over the state . Don't know if it will help you any , but it is interesting . I'm going to look into some of these places myself . My daughter told me a while back that she found a place that was open year round within 50 miles of the charlotte area , which is my area . I'll let you know what I find out about that . If you end up coming thru this area , If I can sneak away from work , I'd be glad to try and hook up for some panning or detecting . I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with .

Thanks. Will let you know.....:yes:

Contrary Creek, Virginia. Posts with "CC" in the title here are referencing this creek. Probably hundreds of posts reporting on it. Fine placer gold, to pickers, to small nuggets found here. The creek's bedrock is easily accessed.
http://au-prospecting.com/gold1/viewforum.php?f=1

I've been wanting to load up my motorcycle and make a long weekend prospecting this creek. Maybe this year.

That sounds like a great plan! Hope you find something out of the way to work for a few days...I'm looking at adding one of those Gold Cubes...did a bit of panning in the Black Hills back in the 80's...got a buddy with a claim high in the Mountains of Idaho..I really like it...
Mud.

That sounds like a great plan! Hope you find something out of the way to work for a few days...I'm looking at adding one of those Gold Cubes...did a bit of panning in the Black Hills back in the 80's...got a buddy with a claim high in the Mountains of Idaho..I really like it...
Mud.

I bought the Cube a little over a year ago and haven't even used it yet . My workload has limited all my hobbies . But I just ordered some paydirt from a member on here , I figure I will pan it out , and take a weight on the gold and then remix and practice with the Gold Cube , trying to find the best waterflows and all .
To CTCurt ,, I do know that gold panning at the Uwharrie is all primitive , no dredging , machine operated equipment , I've been wondering about even using the Gold Cube there with the battery powered pump . I'll find out this spring for sure tho .

Back
Top Bottom