Of coarse its not price fixing. That's illegal.

tinsmith

Elite Member
I wasn't going to post this but then thought- We are all adults and I'm not poking anyone. And yes its not really a big deal but this annoys me.
Does it erk anyone else that nearly every dang machine or coil, actually near everything listed, in online stores is price listed the same?
Now whoa, I love our sponsors, well strong likeyness,
I also know if you call on items your interested in you can get a better price on them, somethings. Some manufacturers don't allow dealers to discount their products. Been told that when I pm'ed a guy once. Thing is, I don't want to have to call, pm, email, smoke signal, morse code or ask if " You can give a poor old guy a break"..
I must not know poop bout marketing I guess. But why not just list it outright? I don't know, maybe I'm getting far to old and crotchety. I go to Wol Wort Super Store, IDJ, Sniggly Wiggly or near any food mart and prices are as is.
Any one else get this? Really not picking on anyone. I mean thank God you marketers are here or a click away. You've saved me a few bucks and I love this shopping from bed. Its just this price thing. I recently clicked on the big big E auction site and what do I see. Well 165.00 bucks on every unused or unboxed, item I've been looking at.
Just a thought.

I see it like this...

Its all the people that actually pay list price that makes some wiggle room on prices for the folks that take the time to work out a deal...

Also I think the phone call you need to make to get the deal is a good thing too.. It fosters a human relationship between the dealer and buyer.. Cant really wish amazon a good season, good luck, or good evening, and even if you did it would not be reciprocal...

<*)))>{

I see it like this...

Its all the people that actually pay list price that makes some wiggle room on prices for the folks that take the time to work out a deal...

Also I think the phone call you need to make to get the deal is a good thing too.. It fosters a human relationship between the dealer and buyer.. Cant really wish amazon a good season, good luck, or good evening, and even if you did it would not be reciprocal...

<*)))>{

That's a good point. Fact that's a very good way to look at it.
I also thought more about it and if I'm a marketer I can only go so low. Without a decent profit you'd be soon out of biz. I just remembered the phrase we have often heard , "Will match any price out there". Hmmmm
Still hate making calls.

It's not the sponsor's fault. It's the manufacturers that set a floor on the lowest price that can be advertised. Any dealer, sponsor or not, that publicly advertises a lower price, risks losing the distributorship for that manufacturer.

Last edited:
Also I could be wrong, but price fixing is not illegal unless you are talking about things that are really needed like fuel, food, communications, and water...

Concert tickets and toys seem to be ok "fix"

<*)))>{

As stated, there is wiggle room, you just have to call them and ask how their day is going. Every sponsor and non sponsor that I have dealt with has been a great experience across the board. :grin:

Sorta like sticker prices on autos. Granted the total price listed can be a little different with them---variations in shipping cost---depends on where the dealer is....vs where the auto was shipped from.

It's not the sponsor's fault. It's the manufacturers that set a floor on the lowest price that can be advertised. Any dealer, sponsor or not, that publicly advertises a lower price, risks losing the distributorship for that manufacturer.

BINGO!!!!

the part that bothers me most is in my opinion, if a dealer wants to sell for less PRIVATELY there should be no problem. However, I have witnessed a dealer asking for a copy of a PRIVATE email quote a person received from a different dealer and telling them if they provide that they will beat the price. Then said dealer took the copy of that PRIVATE email and sent it to a certain manufacturer to get the other dealer into trouble:mad:.

MAP to me should mean just that. minimum ADVERTISED price

Last edited by a moderator:
BINGO!!!!

the part that bothers me most is in my opinion, if a dealer wants to sell for less PRIVATELY there should be no problem. However, I have witnessed a dealer asking for a copy of a PRIVATE email quote a person received from a different dealer and telling them if they provide that they will beat the price. Then said dealer took the copy of that PRIVATE email and sent it to a certain manufacturer to get the other dealer into trouble:mad:.

MAP to me should mean just that. minimum ADVERTISED price

I would never give a dealer a copy of a quote from another dealer. I have seen cases where the quote was used, not to give a better deal, but to report the first dealer to the manufacturer with the intent to get him/her busted.

Thanks Rudy, That's the way I should have stated that. I did say I like our sponsors and one did explain about manufacturers rules on this. When I said they have saved me a few bucks I should have included that it was on certain gear like a digger. Things like diggers, headphones you will see a difference in sticker price. Some, not all.
If I was a New md'er Id not hesitate to use the sponsors and I did. And yep I called and emailed them.
My point is simple but I complicated it babling on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I manage a Marketing Company. Profit is not a dirty word!!!!!! Each of you want to earn a good wage for your time, as we do. Commission is NOT the same as an hourly wage. I have a set limit on products. Once I go below that set limit, I take a pay cut, rob Peter to pay Paul when the bills come due. Calling me is a good thing as I will re-visit my quote for any mistakes and to see if I can shave anymore off my pay check.

I see it like this...

<*)))>{

This.

When I was selling cars, some people would come in and pay the price to the right of MSRP, we called it an "ADM" or less known as additional dealer markup.

More Subaru's are sold in Oregon than anywhere in the Country, so we would mark our prices up because of that. Some people didn't ask questions and I'd make $1000 on a car deal plus spiffs. Then you had the ones that knew what they were doing and would make us give them the car for $1000 under our cost after they put every dealer against each other in price and I would have to pay $50. I hated those people, but loved the ones that didn't know better.

Some people just don't know better. I am ALWAYS asking if it's the best price. 7 times out of 10 it is, but you would be surprised by the other 3 when you get a discount on something you wouldn't have otherwise because you asked.

"Closed mouths don't get fed" and "it never hurts to ask"

Sorta like sticker prices on autos. Granted the total price listed can be a little different with them---variations in shipping cost---depends on where the dealer is....vs where the auto was shipped from.

Most come from the same ports regardless of the manufacturer. The difference comes down to how many units the dealer shipped in. Shipping costs to dealers are the same for 10 cars as they are for 100. Metro lots (big city lots) that sell 500 cars a weekend at wholesale prices are the same cost as regular car lots that may sell 300 cars a month. Difference comes in small nuances with trim level, shipping costs,dealer hold back, dealer allotted return from the manufacturer, but all of the cars are owned for the same price be it in Seattle or New York.

Edit: not trying to be argumentative, car buying can be fun if you know the facts. I've seen people get cars for 3-4 thousand UNDER what the dealer OWNS it for. You want to see a manager lose his mind, that's how you do it :laughing:

Tinsmith, Since you don't like making ph calls pm me your # & I'll call you! & I promise not to call at diner time. HH , phil

MAP pricing also protects the little guy sponsors. The detector company isn't doing it to screw you, but rather protect the dealer who can only purchase 10 detectors from the dealer that can buy 10,000 and blow them out for $5 Gross profit per machine.

MAP pricing also protects the little guy sponsors. The detector company isn't doing it to screw you, but rather protect the dealer who can only purchase 10 detectors from the dealer that can buy 10,000 and blow them out for $5 Gross profit per machine.

Great point!!!

Back
Top Bottom