AT Pro ?

Cwalls

Does the depth of a coin change the VDI of the coin? I know when I hit one that is 2-4" it is a consistant VDI. If that same target was 8-10" and the tone is very faint, would the VDI be about the same and consistant? Thanks in advance. HH

Does the depth of a coin change the VDI of the coin?

I know when I hit one that is 2-4" it is a consistant VDI. If that same target was 8-10" and the tone is very faint, would the VDI be about the same and consistant? Thanks in advance. HH

Not usually, if its a solid deep hit the # should be the same.

I have dug repeatable although faint high tones where there was no VDI on the screen and recovered coins. I think they were on thier sides.

Problem mine has in some soils, especially sand, is a foot deep old pull tab coming in as a repeatable dime signal.

Does the depth of a coin change the VDI of the coin? I know when I hit one that is 2-4" it is a consistant VDI. If that same target was 8-10" and the tone is very faint, would the VDI be about the same and consistant? Thanks in advance. HH

It can, yes.

A solid repeatable signal at a shallower depth may not ring up the same at all depending on conditions, soil, angle of the swing, item placement in the ground, etc. Coil configuration (size, shape) may change signals as well. It's a game of guesses really. But give yourself the advantage and dig based on tones.

edit: i generally dig based on tone, and i have noticed that a lot of pennies ring in as dimes on the VDI. That's a good example, and dimes/quarters can be mixed as well. So the VDI doesn't accurately display what it is 100% of the time, but it gives you a general reading

It can, yes.

A solid repeatable signal at a shallower depth may not ring up the same at all depending on conditions, soil, angle of the swing, item placement in the ground, etc. Coil configuration (size, shape) may change signals as well. It's a game of guesses really. But give yourself the advantage and dig based on tones.

edit: i generally dig based on tone, and i have noticed that a lot of pennies ring in as dimes on the VDI. That's a good example, and dimes/quarters can be mixed as well. So the VDI doesn't accurately display what it is 100% of the time, but it gives you a general reading

Good point, copper pennies ring in as a dime. Zinkers a sometimes squelchy 75.

Results in your soil may vary.

i am in mostly dark soil, fill dirt, and heavy clay. the readings vary depending on the soil. Clay is by far the worst and I think that's due to the density of it surrounding the items. In most cases the coins sit on top of the clay but still affects the readings I have seen.

Thanks for the info..........and as for the dimes ringing as pennies, they do that quite often. I can't complain about the AT Pro, she has done her job well. I felt sorry for my Dad the other day when we were out hunting an old yard. He was digging pull tabs and pop tops left and right as I was digging coins. He found 1 penny to my $1 in change with the Ace 250. He ordered an AT Pro yesterday. I went over an area where he had already gone over and found a 42 Merc. That was the coin that prompted this question because it was deeper, the high tone was weak and the VDI was about 75 compared to clad dimes at about 82.

Back
Top Bottom