Anyone collect buttons?

swinging4gold

I detected an old school today, in fact, it was my own elementary. It was built in 1918. The school was torn down about a decade ago and it's now a totlot, but the original soil is still intact. The other day, I found an 1899 IH deep in the totlot... went back today to work over the property a little more thoroughly, low and slow.

I found two wheats, 1919 and 1937, and some sixties clad, no silver, though. While hunting, I found two pretty cool old buttons. I could tell they're old, so I kept them. Does anyone collect these? I almost tossed them until I rubbed off some of the dirt and saw the designs and realized nobody has coats with buttons like these anymore... I'm suddenly all sentimental because these buttons are off the coats of kids just like me, but long before me.

Holy mackeral, am I going to become a button-collector? I started MD-ing to find gold jewelry!!:lol::lol:

I definitely do, but it didn't start out that way. I bought a detector to find coins and to be honest never thought for a second about buttons. That all changed when I hunted my first old site and found a rare military button that paid for the $1,000 detector which some in my family thought was an insane purchase. Of course digging up a grand made me like buttons a whole lot more so then began the learning process of what they were, and the determination to find more. For about the next year and a half all my best finds seemed to be buttons which as I said wasn't the plan, but just how it worked out. Eventually the better coin finds started to catch up and these days many years later I like them equal. If I ever had to give up my dug coin or dug button collection I'd be absolutely torn... there's just some things in each group that I wouldn't want to part with. Gladly I don't, and will never have to make that choice.

I have a few mason jars full and an old cookie tin full. Wife's grandmother's philosophy was always " you never know when you'll need a button". So she kept every single one she came across.

The jars full came from yard sales, thrift stores etc... sometimes you can snag a candy jar of buttons for 5bucks or less...i grab those.... normal common ones go to daughter for crafts, the rest go in the collection..

You guys/girls that live near CW sites find some sweet buttons.

Back
Top Bottom