Hi I am interested in underground storage

cookinggood

Forum Supporter
Hi, I am interested in underground cache systems for storing prep items.
How deep does a metal item need to be to avoid detection.
Does the depth have something with coil diameter?
Thanks,

The size and metal thickness determines how deep it will need to be. A thin metal 5 gallon bucket better be at least 30 inches to avoid detection with normal MDs. A solid metal item the same size better be at least 48 inches deep to avoid detection. If your worried about it, I would use sealed plastic containers or large pvc pipe and glue on the ends.

Watching a little too much "Doomsday Preppers"? :laughing:

I laugh, but if I could I'd have a "second basement" under my current one loaded down with everything :yes:

If you're making small supply caches, unless someone is actively looking for them, location would be more paramount than depth And yes, coil diameter, realistically gives you the same depth. 10 inch coil, 10 inches of solid depth. But plenty of machines that can find stuff deeper when the object is larger :yes:

Last edited:
Really sort of depends on the size of the metal object. I have no trouble finding my water pipes in the backyard, couple of feet down (been a while since the were dug up). Depends on what you are using for a storage container, and what's in it.

If you were to make it very large, it might not generate much interest, since no one would know it's not the hood off a care, old water heater, mattress, couch. All of which, could be items you placed over your container, to mask, and discourage metal detectors. Would think if somebody dug down a foot or so, found it was an old mattress, they'd leave it alone, being it would take a lot of work, and you can pick them up pretty much every day in most cities...

I grew up in a family owned junkyard, it was a century old, probably has car parts 20' deep.

What I would do is seed an area very good, even if it means digging the topsoil away and planting steel garbage and a ton of pulltabs.

And then have a couple of junk cars, take an old Buick or something and have a secret latch on the trunk but your cache is actually a buried cargo container UNDER the car, cars or a truck.

Taken from the movie "Red".

Almost all people using a MD will pass up a field of junk, especially one with pulltabs. Use their weakness to your advantage. And if that doesn't work buy more ammo.:D

I read an article that said, ammunition, silver dimes and chickens are the currency of the future. Seems like society is freaking out. Too much TV!

Its all about people willing to take away from anyone that has more than they.

There will be a lot of desperate hungry and angry people if things continue the way they are, anyone displaying or advertising they have a better lifestyle, a food or weapons cache will be targeted. Most likely I could even visualize gangs targeting any person detecting on a beach or anywhere for that matter, they will assume that a person with a MD will have coin, silver and gold on them.

I will always open carry when I detect. Sorry to those who are hamstrung in some states.

Cracks me up

Seems like every generation has a boogie man. The 50's through the 80's it was the Russians. 90's , till now- terrorists, taliban, . Future our neighbors , and those are who are not prepared. Sounds like complete fear mongering to me. I bet if you stop reading papers, watching news , etc.. You wouldn't stress about this . Sounds like a waste of time and money.

You could put a large, tinfoil hat over it. Don't think most people dig big foil signals.

and if someone is using one of those plumb bob thingy's then there's no hiding your underground bunker cashe :laughing:

Hide your stuff in plastic. Get hard ABS plastic totes, not the ones from Wal-Mart. Make sure they're sealed good with silicone and even add some silica gel inside to absorb moisture. I'm not personally a prepper but if I was going to cache things this is how I'd do it. Unless they were small items and then I'd use PVC.

HeHe The worlds ending everybody hide your stash's !!!! We will eventually find em. there is only 3 things i need for my servial kit. and my family will not have a problem. my pistal rifel and shotgun which i always have 1 to 2 cases of ammo for each being i do tournament shoots. so let it come, i look at it this way if it does happen or the big man upstairs if you beleave in that says its your time well its your time you cant go around worrying about stuff like this cause its that same thing just diffrent senarios every 20 years. we all remember Y2K !!! lol ok im done ranting this is just one of those things that bug me when i see this kinda stuff.

Back
Top Bottom