Lake Ontario Sunken Ship

z118

Forum Supporter
Kind of a cool story...

More than 200 ships have been lost in the waters of Lake Ontario. One of them ...went down in 1849. Two Rochester men have now found it. The lake's waters...have preserved this grand ship.
"When you find one of these things it's really exciting. It takes a long time to find these ship wrecks. I think we looked for this one for probably two to three years."

The ship is 160 years old. It sits 200 feet deep, off the southern shore of Lake Ontario near point breeze. "A ship with a tiller is an unusual find."

The lake water has well preserved this old ship. Both its masts are still in place. "It could be the oldest commerical schooner found so far off the southern shore of Lake Ontario."

Divers Jim Kennard and Dan Scoville found this ship. The two Rochester men have a passion for searching the great lakes for wrecks. And they've made hundreds of discoveries. Their work begins on land.

Kennard says, ?We can identity through some databases ships in our area. Then its a matter of going to the library and looking at the old microfilms."

Kennard and Scoville are also electrical engineers. Jim came up with the sonar needed to scan the bottom of the lake. Because the wrecks are often in water too deep to dive safely, Dan and a team of students from RIT ...built the remote operated vehicle. The ROV from RIT has three cameras on it.

Scoville says, ?So having an ROV that can stay down at 400 feet for an 1 1/2 is twenty times what I could stay down there myself. It just adds to our capability in so many ways."

Through their shipwreck detective work...Kennard and Scoville believe they've found the schooner Milan. It went down in October 1849 ...carrying a thousand barrels of salt. This shipwreck had a happy ending. The crew was rescued and brought to the Port of Rochester.

No matter the ships name, most wrecks and their contents belong to the state. It would be an expensive endeavor to get it out of the water. Kennard and Scoville have their eyes on a number of other ships lost in Lake Ontario... from Niagara Falls to the Saint Lawrence. ?There will be more in the future we will be talking about, ? Kennard says with a smile.

http://www.rnews.com/TopStory_2004.cfm?cmd=top&rnews_story_type=18

Attachments

• schooner_wreckage.jpeg
    schooner_wreckage.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 823
If my memory is correct all ship wrecks older than a certan date are protected. cladius.

Back
Top Bottom