at gold owners what big coils have you tried

edword

I have been thinking about picking up the garret 9x12 for coin detecting at schools/ parks and was wondering if any of you have tried it or others. lets be honest about the 5x8 coil atleast mine stinks for depth on coins like airtest dime at 5 inches best quarter 6 maybe 7. tried running in all metal and it drove me nuts with the constant chatter. I was thinking of the garrett coil because you can get a coil cover that is almost solid because I hate the open design of dd coils. unless you are detecting on a golf course putting green they hang up on every tuft of tall grass you come across. also one question for you guys have any of you ever had your detector just start ringing for no reason. mine did about a month ago at a school so I brought it home and I live in the middle of nowhere found a target and it started ringing again. I did a factory reset the other day hunted for one hour with no trouble but I think this is odd and am wondering if something is wrong with it. sorry for the long winded write up. thanks for your replies

I think many of us own the AT Pro as compared to the AT Gold. I think the only difference is the frequency and the "true" all metal mode but really any of the coils you see other AT Pro users try should be the same for the AT Gold. The only real difference (I think) is the functions of the detectors and not the plugs, etc.

Don't quote me on any of this, but I think it's right. Hopefully someone else who has experience with an AT Gold will chime in soon. You're question has been looked at and hanging for awhile, didn't want you to think it was being ignored.

Thanks for the reply

Up in the air about what to do with mine have used it a lot at schools only finding shallow stuff. It is good on small stuff I have found pellet gun pellets at about 7 inches. Just not good on coins. I am also wondering if it is having a problem because of the weird ringing it was doing. But it hasn't done it lately. Of course I am in nor cal and its raining a lot so I haven't been out much. I am not afraid of rain but its flat out muddy right now.

IMO ! If you can pick a pellet at 7 inches , a coin is going to scream at ya . Like Mr . Novice I have the ATP and no knowledge of yours except comments here . Also Mr Novice your handle is misleading as you have some very experienced comments on all your post . I see your always trying to get a post energized to help , Congrats to you !! HH

IMO ! If you can pick a pellet at 7 inches , a coin is going to scream at ya . Like Mr . Novice I have the ATP and no knowledge of yours except comments here . Also Mr Novice your handle is misleading as you have some very experienced comments on all your post . I see your always trying to get a post energized to help , Congrats to you !! HH

Thanks Ricki7, 99% of what I share I have learned from members here reading other posts. I only have 2 detectors so I don't have much first hand knowledge about others but I do learn a lot from reading this forum and others experiences with them and try to pass that on. I'm always learning too and I don't see that stopping anytime soon so Novice is fine for me. Appreciate the good words though! :beers:

Up in the air about what to do with mine have used it a lot at schools only finding shallow stuff. It is good on small stuff I have found pellet gun pellets at about 7 inches. Just not good on coins. I am also wondering if it is having a problem because of the weird ringing it was doing. But it hasn't done it lately. Of course I am in nor cal and its raining a lot so I haven't been out much. I am not afraid of rain but its flat out muddy right now.

Make sure the coil connector is seated good into the control box, it's a very tight fit so make sure it is pushed all the way in before screwing secured. Then I would go out to a totlot again, either elementary school playground or city playground (preferably elementery school because less can slaw and pulltabs), find a wide open spot away from metal playground equipment and find an area of about 4x4ft with no targets in it. Then do a factory reset again, and then get a good ground balance in that 4x4ft patch. Be aware of any EMI around. Raise the sensitivity to about 80% so it's stable and go from there.

Kids are always dropping stuff in playgrounds. It should be relatively easy to find a few pieces of fresh clad to test on, and let us know if that helps.

i reset it at my house i literally live in the middle of nowhere

I have hunted my property a lot and only found some bullets and a knife that was in bad shape so I know theres no emi where I live. so that shouldn't be an issue. that was what made me worry something was wrong with my detector when I tried it on my property and it would still ring repeatedly. it would stop when I tapped the coil on the ground a couple times. I also cleaned my coil cover before I reset it. it was filthy but I didn't see any metal stuck in there but you never know maybe a tiny piece of something got in there. I tried changing freq. it didn't help. it would do it in all 3 modes also. I checked the coil cord as I read about the issue with it not being tight. I just need to get back out and run it some more to see if its gonna do it more or not. but I would like to try a bigger coil because this one aint cutting it. the problem is there is too many darn choices out there and theres good bad and ugly reviews about all of them. thanks for your thoughts.

I have hunted my property a lot and only found some bullets and a knife that was in bad shape so I know theres no emi where I live. so that shouldn't be an issue. that was what made me worry something was wrong with my detector when I tried it on my property and it would still ring repeatedly. it would stop when I tapped the coil on the ground a couple times. I also cleaned my coil cover before I reset it. it was filthy but I didn't see any metal stuck in there but you never know maybe a tiny piece of something got in there. I tried changing freq. it didn't help. it would do it in all 3 modes also. I checked the coil cord as I read about the issue with it not being tight. I just need to get back out and run it some more to see if its gonna do it more or not. but I would like to try a bigger coil because this one aint cutting it. the problem is there is too many darn choices out there and theres good bad and ugly reviews about all of them. thanks for your thoughts.

Users have said the Nel coils are great, and they have several different ones available. Just keep in mind, the AT Gold is VERY sensitive, part of it's design is to target tiny gold flakes and other items "that" small. With a larger coil there's more chance of having multiple targets under a larger coil surface, the larger Nels should get deeper though and many prefer them over the larger Garrett coil.

I sounds like you're very familiar with the detector (knowing to try changing freq and all), so I have no doubt you'll get it figured out. Good luck!

just an update on my at gold

I have put about 8 hours on it after cleaning out the coil cover and it has not rang any more when I hit a target so I am guessing something had to have got between the coil and cover to cause it. still haven't got a new coil. I am in the air if I want to do that or just find something for coins as that is what I hunt mostly. I also have a mxt which has been great but I just keep hearing minelab calling me in my head. some guys are just never satisfied with what they have. no doubt I am one of them.

I have the Garrett 9x12 concentric on my AT GOLD and love it, if you like to dig deep, you will. I swear last Sunday I dug a flat pop can at 19 inches deep. A quarter at 10 inches is no problem.

I'm using a CORS scout DD on my AT Gold and love it. Same as a NEL Hunter and slightly bigger than the Garrett 9x12. I know you don't like DD's but I have had such great results on land and water that it's worth the occasional snag to me. Hits hard and deep on the shiny plus pinpoints well. I have found several gold and silver rings since I got it in July. Just got my 3rd Walking Liberty half in 6 months the other day using it as well. HH! :mder:

thanks cruiserkev

i wouldn't hate the dd coils so much if you could buy solid covers for them all would be golden. my mxt feels like it glides over grass short or tall with the 950 stock coil it came with. some companies make solid covers but not all. it kind of seems like a no brainer to me but apparently coil cover makers dont care what dummy ed thinks. the thing that i hate the most if hitting that tuft of grass and getting the false beep making me think momentarily is there something there. now i ignore it and probably miss buckets of treasure. thanks for the replies take care

Back
Top Bottom