• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

deus users

I only have the 9 inch coil and it seems relatively deep and separates very well. Some say the 11 is a tad deeper but loses a tad in the separation department. There are some here who have both and can answer this better than me. I got the 9 because I do hunt in trashy sites and calabashdiggers vids proved you could get good depth with the 9.

Yes, if you get the settings right in a program it will outperform the factory programs. If all those settings seem confusing (as they did me at first) you can get many good programs from forums and youtube. Generally you will want a program for hunting in trash, which will not be a very deep program. You will also want a program geared more towards depth, which will be less capable in trash. The beauty of the deus is that you can switch between saved programs so easy. I seldom if ever use the factory programs.

Okay,

Better settings than stock (depending on detecting scenario) will enhance performance.

Coil differences,,Deus overall better balanced with 9" coil vs 11" coil.

With 11" coil,,detector is a bit nose heavy.

Depth,,,11" has approx 1" advantage,, can depend on soil and or target size.

Depending on your soil,,using full tones,,,a lower disc can usually be run using 9" coil vs 11" coil.

Using the 11" coil on say medium mineralized ground or higher,,,mrunning 0 disc level using full tones,,Deus will give off ground noise,,,op can dial disc to 2.5-3.0 to eliminate or reduce.

Separation,,,9" coil does better here,,,but here is something to consider,,,,there will be targets in and around nails and iron,,,for whatever reason 11" coil will detect or detect better (meaning giving better signal) vs the 9" coil--- yeah sounds strange right???

Something else to consider,,,,could be most important part of my response here.

Xp is about to release a new version update,,,and along with it will come newer style, frequency coils.

So an even smaller (footprint) size coils are coming soon,,,,so this could make the older 9" coils more like white elephants,,,they could,get cheap used to buy too.

One catch here though,,,these newer coils,,,seems they will operate on higher freqs,,,could make them great separators in iron,,,but for distinguish iron/trash, other junk targets,,,,no low freq like 4khz doesn't seem this will be available.

My thoughts here,,,,for anyone who currently wants to buy Deus,,,,I would probably recommend 11" coil vs 9" for these reasons.

If Deus buyer bonds with their detector,,,,a 9" older style,,,or the newer style smaller can always be bought later.

I hope this info helps you.
Cheers.

AS TNSS states, the 11" coil is a bit nose heavy but not excessive. I use the 11" when covering fields and open areas and the 9" for tight spots. Spent several hours yesterday with the 9" coil in a corn field, the 9" is just what the doctor ordered to get in between the stalks left after harvesting. I really do not think the difference in depth between the 2 coils to be very much to be concerned about.

I've had and used both. Normally I'd say there isn't much difference between the depth of the 9" and the 11", and as has been said the 9" does feel better balance wise, but think about the new coils coming out. The 9" coil will become somewhat obsolete. I'd go 11" and buy the new 4.72" x 9.45" elliptical coil.

i wish i have that 9" coil for separation i hunt curb strips when i can and with that small peice area i think i cover it faster with my 11" and think i still miss something. im holding off buying that 9" coil though, coz im waiting for that new smaller white coil ver 4 deus promise to release.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i wish i have that 9" coil for separation i hunt curb strips when i can and with that small peice area i think i cover it faster with my 11" and think i still miss something. im holding off buying that 9" coil though, coz im waiting for that new smaller white coil ver 4 deus promise to release.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Key setting when using 11" coil in your sites you are describing= reactivity level 3.

If after more surface level targets like recently lost clad coins/ jewelry,,,reactivity level 4 may help.

A custom program will always be better than a standard program if you understand what you are doing. When you customize your settings you are optimizing the performance based on the soil, conditions and type of target you are after. I would strongly advise you to get Andy's book and learn what each setting does and its effects. Simply copying someone else's program is not the answer. It may get you into the ballpark but you need to know how to tweak it based on your conditions, not somebody else's.

Some good advice.

One thing I notice,,,,some folks may be thinking,,,oh if I turn reactivity down,,my Deus will hit deep.

Well,,in mild soil,,,yes,,,but up the minerals,,,0 reactivity setting,,,a no no.

I got mine with an 11" coil, glad I did. I can still wiggle finds from a trashy area, plus go deep in plowed fields.

Last edited:
Key setting when using 11" coil in your sites you are describing= reactivity level 3.

If after more surface level targets like recently lost clad coins/ jewelry,,,reactivity level 4 may help.

i just saw this reply tn - thanks
reactivity 3 is always my go-to-settings. the 11" is just bigger for me when hunting curb strips but i won't let it go instead an addition 9" arsenal would cater my needs. :)

Back
Top Bottom