Thinking about picking up a compadre

Dflan83

Elite Member
Any tesoro guys care to comment. Right now my main detector is a ctx 3030 and I need a backup machine. Also I would like a detector to take with me just for the tot lots. The CTX is a great machine but is a little overkill when it comes to a tot lot.

Been looking at the compadre with the 5in coil
or should I look towards the new mojave

I have one 5" coil, and use it most of the time, my wife just said she wanted to start hunting so I am going to order another one for her. I also have an old Silver Sabre II, and recently bought a Garrett Ace 150 from a disgruntled detectorist who saw my Compadre and said he was going to get one. Just my opinion. joe

I really have fun using mine. I have the 8" coil, which has been fine. Depth is not one of the Compadre's strengths, but it's just plain old fun to use. The discrimination works really well, pinpointing with it is really easy, and the battery seems to last forever.

It even will work on wet salt sand, albeit there is minimal depth from what I've been able to determine (about an inch), but hey, it's better then nothing.

For the money, I think it's about the best out there, but I'd also look at the Mojave, it's supposed to a Compadre on steroids or such.

With the Mojave out, the people will start dumping their compadres to upgrade to the Mojave. I'd look for the used 7" coil compadre that is priced right. I have a 8" coil compadre, will keep mine but for $90 more , the Mojave gives you sensitivity control, better ground system and switchable coil option. The compadre is a fixed coil but there were people who modded them to be able to switch coils. Again, might better look at the Mojave although I don't have one to compare to.

Any tesoro guys care to comment. Right now my main detector is a ctx 3030 and I need a backup machine. Also I would like a detector to take with me just for the tot lots. The CTX is a great machine but is a little overkill when it comes to a tot lot.

Been looking at the compadre with the 5in coil
or should I look towards the new mojave
Love my Compadre for the tot lots, but if I had the money I would get the Mojave- Compadre on steroids! :shock: Also, you have to watch out for getting addicted to one!:lol:

I have a Compadre with 8" coil. I've used it for about 1/2 an hour so far,just have it for my kids. From what I saw in that amount of time it is VERY fun to use. It bangs a nickel at 5-6" pretty easily,and I like the "thumbing disc", it's set up perfectly ergonomically for doing that,and I don't have abnormally large thumbs...bottom line is,if a guy were hunting smaller areas at a max depth of 6" it would be absolutely perfect,and is. Build quality seems very very good for such an inexpensive and capable unit.

Back
Top Bottom