Headphone adapter for ATP?

LifeOfaOutlaw

Is there another source or manufacture that makes the headphone adapter for the APT? Radio shack, Best Buy? Garrett's price is just ridiculous for a simple adapter. Looking to use smaller headphones or earbuds. The stock ones are ridiculous in size.

I know that the actual connector on that plug is exclusively made for Garrett but you can get them from authorized Garrett dealers. To just walk into radio shack and try buying that end to make your own isn't possible.
That whole cable assembly is around $30-35. :yes:

I cut the cable on the headphones that came with my ATPro and soldered a female mini plug onto the end that plugs into the machine. I left just enough cable to be able to snap it into the clip under the handle. I soldered a male mini plug onto the remaining cable of the headphones. Now I can use the stock headphones if I want but I prefer earbuds whichI can now plug in. This keeps the waterproof connector hooked into the machine at all times. Works for me. Only cost is for the mini plugs.

I cut the cable on the headphones that came with my ATPro and soldered a female mini plug onto the end that plugs into the machine. I left just enough cable to be able to snap it into the clip under the handle. I soldered a male mini plug onto the remaining cable of the headphones. Now I can use the stock headphones if I want but I prefer earbuds whichI can now plug in. This keeps the waterproof connector hooked into the machine at all times. Works for me. Only cost is for the mini plugs.

For some reason I am having a hard time picturing this. Got a picture?

i think once you cut the cable, all you have is wires, so soldering a different plug is no big deal.

I would think you might want to just order the raw plug from Garrett and work with one of those. For my self it would be pretty simple to solder the wires correctly. I have always made my own repairs to my Guitar amps and live sound equipment.

Radio Shack is going/has gone out of business. That pretty much takes care of that option, and I doubt Garrett will sell a part to someone who isn't a repair center person of theirs. If they did that then they'd never sell any of their adapters...

Here's the pics. The Koss adaptor is a volume control for the earbuds. I never use the Garrett headphones, they are too stinking hot. I use one earbud in my right ear and stick the other one in my pocket. I have a real thing about being able to still hear what's going on around me when I am out detecting. Let me know if you have any questions. :cheers:

Attachments

• AT Pro Mod 1.JPG
    AT Pro Mod 1.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 256
  • AT Pro Mod 2.JPG
    AT Pro Mod 2.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 264
  • AT Pro Mod 3.JPG
    AT Pro Mod 3.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 260
  • AT Pro Mod 4.JPG
    AT Pro Mod 4.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 263
  • AT Pro Mod 5.JPG
    AT Pro Mod 5.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 273
Radio Shack is going/has gone out of business. That pretty much takes care of that option, and I doubt Garrett will sell a part to someone who isn't a repair center person of theirs. If they did that then they'd never sell any of their adapters...

Radio shack website says they are open and here to stay and the local one here is still open..

http://www.radioshack.com

Here's the pics. The Koss adaptor is a volume control for the earbuds. I never use the Garrett headphones, they are too stinking hot. I use one earbud in my right ear and stick the other one in my pocket. I have a real thing about being able to still hear what's going on around me when I am out detecting. Let me know if you have any questions. :cheers:

Is the male/female plug water proof and able to submerge without shorting out the detector? Do you have pics of the soldering process? Is there 2,3,4 wires when you cut it?

Ahhhhhhh. Now I see. That is a nice mod. Thanks for the pics

Is the male/female plug water proof and able to submerge without shorting out the detector? Do you have pics of the soldering process? Is there 2,3,4 wires when you cut it?

Here are the soldered connections for the male and female connectors. There are 3 wires in the Garrett headphones, red, black and white. The red and black get soldered to the side tabs and the white gets soldered to the back tab.

I personally would not submerge the soldered connections unless you waterproof it somehow. I will probably dip the whole connection in plastidip or something like that if I take it out into the water. Obviously the Garrett connection into the detector itself is already waterproof.

Just as a side note, these are pretty fine wires and can be tricky to solder if you don't have some experience. As you can see from the pics my soldering abilities are just enough to get by!

Hope this answers your questions. :mder:

Attachments

• MALE.JPG
    MALE.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 181
  • FEMALE.jpg
    FEMALE.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 186
Ahhhhhhh. Now I see. That is a nice mod. Thanks for the pics

Your welcome. I actually got the idea from a youtube video but he ran the wire into the handle down by the Garrett connection and up through and out the plastic insert at the top of the handle. I liked his idea better but I didn't want to make any modifications to the detector itself while it is under warranty.

Your welcome. I actually got the idea from a youtube video but he ran the wire into the handle down by the Garrett connection and up through and out the plastic insert at the top of the handle. I liked his idea better but I didn't want to make any modifications to the detector itself while it is under warranty.

Yea, no you did good. I wouldn't want to mod mine under warranty either as I'm assuming that means drilling to mount it like that. I like your way.

I think I am going to try it out on mine and see what I think. I can see the advantages in water even more

If you want to keep a waterproof connection beliw is a thread of the mod i did to the atpro i had. Ctx connectors are easy to find and cheap. You can then either solder a connector to the end of you headphones or make a short pigtail with ctx connector on one end and 1/4 plug on the other to use any land phones also but still have an easy connection for water phones.. Even though it goes through the upper shaft it still unscrews down at the box like normal so you can buy the upper for $18-20 to have on hand and if you need warranty work just switch the shaft.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=201946

Back
Top Bottom