How to find gold nuggets

stangthang

Elite Member
Hello all, it ha sbeen a while. I sort of took last year off from detecting.

Now, I have a question about detecting for gold nuggets. Any advice? I quickly searched the site here but did not find much. Last week, I had a chance to visit an old house in the mountains in North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Mountains I believe. Anyways, I stayed there for about 3 days. Most of my buddies were more interested in driving the 4-wheelers up the mountain paths, drinking beer, and shooting their pistols and shot guns. That all was awesome and real fun, but i wanted to do a little searching for gold also. The guy that has the hous ein his family had found a little gold there before. His parents went out there once and brought back some sand and gravel in buckets. They panned the material and found a few small bits of gold. I saw the gold and wa spretty excited to try my luck a bit. My understanding is there is probably small flake sof gold in all the mountain streams and creeks out there. I walked around a while in the creek with my MXT just sort of hoping to get a hit on a small nugget. You never know I guess, and I had to give it a shot. I found nothing but had fun. I did dig up 3 or 4 old pull tabs which rang correct on my screen. Was pretty excited to get a few hits like that. I guess lots of old junk was thrown in the creek over the last 150 years.

Does anyone have advice, or links to sites about how to search for gold in the mountain streams? The property has a couple of springs that come right out of the mountain. I was trying to figure where the gold came from that they found before. I guess I was looking in the wrong spot. I was told later where the sand and gravel samples came from. In winter thaw and heavy spring rains, the little creek becomes much bigger and more violent, probably washing any gold deposits down the creek. The gold that is there could have come from a distance away I guess. The mountainside there is mostly some sort of black rock, maybe granite? There is a huge part that is all white quartz. The quartz contains a lot of mica and fools gold pyrite. I was also just sort of looking for odd rocks in the stream as there are deposits of rubies, saphires, aquamarine, emeralds, garnets, and about 300 other gemstones in the area also, but more to the south and north. It was a grand time doing all the other activities, and I hope to go back this Fall sometime. My work schedule does not always let me go when I want, but i am hoping I get asked to go out there again. We also detected an old slab rock foundation out in the woods but only found tin cans and junk. The foundation and chimney looked pretty old, but might have been used in the 50'sor 60's. i am guessing. There was nothing left, just the foundation. Hunters could have left the trash also. There is a hunting club that uses the property. Pretty far out in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck to everyone this year,
-Stang

Good Luck!

Finding a nugget in North Carolina, is a one-in-a-million shot, but it could happen. In NC, you are looking for flake gold, and want to pan out material from the inside bends of creeks and streams. I have never heard of a Whites MXT actually finding a gold nugget, but again, anything is possible.

I advise you to join a local gold prospecting club and educate yourself a little about your area and the gold in it.

Carolina Slate Belt Chapter of GPAA
Aberdeen, NC USA
Contact Jim Jones
Ph: 1-910 215-3606
E-Mai: [email protected]
Meets 2nd Sunday of the month at 3:00 pm at Jims, Gems and Gold, 10327 E. Hwy 211, Aberdeen.

G.P.A.A. of Franklin
WNC Otto Chapter, (Franklin, NC)
E-Mail: [email protected]
1-828-369-9853
Meets 3rd thur. monthly @ 7.30 pm

G.P.A.A. of Matthews
Matthews Chapter (Matthews, N.C.)
Ph: 1-704-299-2808
Meets 2nd Wednesday night each month. 7:30pm @ Mint Hill Historic Society, 7601 Matthews Mint Hill Rd., Mint Hill, NC.

G.P.A.A. Polly Spout
Polly Spout Chapter, (Marion, NC)
1694 Polly Spout Rd.
Marion, N.C. 28752
Ph: 1-828-738-0340
http://home.wnclink.com/gemmine
The next meeting will be at Golden Valley Camground, 680 NC Rt. 226, Casar, NC, for information and Directions call 828-738-0340 or 704-538-8047, or e-mail us. Bring covered dish and enjoy the meeting, bring family and friends.

G.P.A.A. of Salsibury
Piedmont ChapterPiedmont Chapter, (Salsibury, N.C.)
1-704-637-3033
First meeting April 28, 2001

Mountain Creek Prospecting Group
Ph: 1-704-463-7749
This is a group for anyone wishing to learn about prospecting in NC. Mountain Creek Gold Mine is one of Central North Carolina's best kept prospecting secrets. This is the place to come if you are looking for real North Carolina gold. Nuggets are rare the largest to date 1/2 oz. but are found on occassion. Fine gold is however plentiful. Founded Jan 26, 2004 with 61 members and growing! If you would like more information please email or call us.

Vein Mountain Recreational Miners Club
The Vein Mountain Recreational Miners Club provides, through our membership, the shared knowledge and properties for recreational prospecting. If you are new to prospecting or a seasoned miner this is the club for you. Our membership spans from the Northeast to the Midwest and through the South.
Our Club digs and Miners Meet Weekends are at the Lucky Strike Gold and Gem mine, Vein Mountain in Marion, NC. Plan a vacation to meet with us some time soon.

Hello all, it ha sbeen a while. I sort of took last year off from detecting.

Now, I have a question about detecting for gold nuggets. Any advice? I quickly searched the site here but did not find much. Last week, I had a chance to visit an old house in the mountains in North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Mountains I believe. Anyways, I stayed there for about 3 days. Most of my buddies were more interested in driving the 4-wheelers up the mountain paths, drinking beer, and shooting their pistols and shot guns. That all was awesome and real fun, but i wanted to do a little searching for gold also. The guy that has the hous ein his family had found a little gold there before. His parents went out there once and brought back some sand and gravel in buckets. They panned the material and found a few small bits of gold. I saw the gold and wa spretty excited to try my luck a bit. My understanding is there is probably small flake sof gold in all the mountain streams and creeks out there. I walked around a while in the creek with my MXT just sort of hoping to get a hit on a small nugget. You never know I guess, and I had to give it a shot. I found nothing but had fun. I did dig up 3 or 4 old pull tabs which rang correct on my screen. Was pretty excited to get a few hits like that. I guess lots of old junk was thrown in the creek over the last 150 years.

Does anyone have advice, or links to sites about how to search for gold in the mountain streams? The property has a couple of springs that come right out of the mountain. I was trying to figure where the gold came from that they found before. I guess I was looking in the wrong spot. I was told later where the sand and gravel samples came from. In winter thaw and heavy spring rains, the little creek becomes much bigger and more violent, probably washing any gold deposits down the creek. The gold that is there could have come from a distance away I guess. The mountainside there is mostly some sort of black rock, maybe granite? There is a huge part that is all white quartz. The quartz contains a lot of mica and fools gold pyrite. I was also just sort of looking for odd rocks in the stream as there are deposits of rubies, saphires, aquamarine, emeralds, garnets, and about 300 other gemstones in the area also, but more to the south and north. It was a grand time doing all the other activities, and I hope to go back this Fall sometime. My work schedule does not always let me go when I want, but i am hoping I get asked to go out there again. We also detected an old slab rock foundation out in the woods but only found tin cans and junk. The foundation and chimney looked pretty old, but might have been used in the 50'sor 60's. i am guessing. There was nothing left, just the foundation. Hunters could have left the trash also. There is a hunting club that uses the property. Pretty far out in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck to everyone this year,
-Stang

Your MXT should have no problem findiing a gold nugget should one get under your coil. People around here successfully use that machine to find gold in the mountains.

In modern stream beds nuggets will most likely be too deep to detect, though. Try hillsides where you can find evidence of older stream beds that have eroded.

Back
Top Bottom