New here, could you help me figure out what this is?

cdickmann

My name is Casey, I'm 24 years old from Wisconsin.
My dad got me into metal detecting growing up, he had a garrett that ended up getting ruined in the basement of his ex girlfriends house.
He just bought a cheap Radio Shack metal detector from a garage sale for $5 and bought it over to my house.
I live in a house that is very old.

I just found this in my backyard and have no idea what it is, could anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Not sure about what you found is for sure, but judging by the "fins" it would seem to be something intended to be hammered into the ground for some reason.

I'm not sure what that is but I doubt it was used to be driven in the ground because I would think there would be more rust on it. If you are a Facebook member join the group ID ME and post it there.

a mold for a candle or something like that?

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:fmdfwelcome:

While it may still be something else, a candle mold sounds like a possibility also, while I couldn't find an exact match online here is a vintage candle mold I found online - (the item below was listed on a pinterest site as being from the 18th century and sold on ebay for $586.00)

vintagecandlemold.jpg

hits a doohickey for a thangamajig that goes on a whatsamacallit..:lol::laughing::laughing:

that's similar to what i was thinking, lol. :lol:

actually, that's close to what i was thinking. :roll:
my first impression seeing that item is something to do with either drilling and/or cutting and splitting rock. i know you drill it and drive wedges in to do the actual split, but maybe that's a drill guide of some sort. i don't mean a powered drill, i'm talking the old fashioned way of hitting the bit with a hammer, turning it a 1/4 turn, hitting it again and again. (yup, that process did take a while to do!) i do have one of the old bits here somewhere, kinda looked like a really big Phillips screwdriver bit. but i don't recall seeing a piece like that to go along with the bit.
but that's my best guess. :D

Welcome from N FL!

I have looked and studied the piece, I can't come up with anything. If it is to be driven into the ground I'm wondering why there is a hole at the bottom of it to connect to something. It looks like it could be a base to something, the fins may act as stiffeners and the flange end is the bottom? I'm grasping at straws..

Hi and welcome Casey, maybe that thing you found is a leg off of something. No idea what, but if you turn it upside down that's what it makes me think of.

that's similar to what i was thinking, lol. :lol:

actually, that's close to what i was thinking. :roll:
my first impression seeing that item is something to do with either drilling and/or cutting and splitting rock. i know you drill it and drive wedges in to do the actual split, but maybe that's a drill guide of some sort. i don't mean a powered drill, i'm talking the old fashioned way of hitting the bit with a hammer, turning it a 1/4 turn, hitting it again and again. (yup, that process did take a while to do!) i do have one of the old bits here somewhere, kinda looked like a really big Phillips screwdriver bit. but i don't recall seeing a piece like that to go along with the bit.
but that's my best guess. :D
That technique is called "pins and feathers".

Welcome!

Maybe some kind of counter weight, bet it weights 6#. Weird sash weight maybe?

Just a guess, a flag pole stake. Where the holes on the bottom are would be mounted a cone shaped piece of metal for stickin' it in the ground. 🇺🇸

That is a burner off of a modern gas furnace. Actually it looks a little thick for that, but it sure resembles a burner

I had something similar for a volleyball set-up. It had two hollow metal pieces you hammered into the ground. Then the net poles fit in the holes. That way you could take down the net poles when not in use, and the sockets remained in the ground until next time.

Back
Top Bottom