Volleyball sand pits?

Mnwild28

I have been seeing a lot of sand volleyball pits in parks near me and I was just wondering if any of you have ever hunted in one or have had any luck in them?

I've always read they're hotspots, but honestly...the Wife and I've hunted several all over Texas and have never found more than just some clad. Still fun though, that's just the luck of the draw!

Next one could be a huge ring, you never know in this game. Good luck :cool:

There is one nearby to our place which is surprisingly really productive! I didn't think I'd find much as it's right next to a marina and therefore really obvious to other detectorists, but I surprised myself with finding $51.15AUD in 1.5 hours! No jewellery, but still a really fun hunt. Since then I've been back a few times and found another $20. No jewellery, but it's still a good source of money!

I've also hunted other volleyball courts, to various degrees of success!

I've found a fair amount of clad and a lot of bottle caps and washers in volleyball pitches around here. No jewelry there for me yet, but ya never know, right? I'd say they're worth checking. Also, it's good to check around the borders of the pitch, where spectators might be sitting or cheering, as well as any likely spots where they players dump their stuff while they play.

Some find nice things in the sand, people jumping around getting sweaty and if a ring, bracelet, necklaces or pendant falls off or breaks it hits the sand and sinks fast.
Me, in the sand I have found a few coins but mostly a lot of toy cars and other kids toys, even a decent hand digger once about 10" deep.
To kids these are like big sand boxes.

On the other hand the perimeter that surrounds these things is where a lot of treasure could be hiding...like this which I found next to a volleyball court in the grass.

user10659_pic61103_1410798398.jpg

People exhibit the same behavior around these that they do around basketball court perimeters, both these kinds of sites are favorites of mine to look for jewelry and I have found a ton both silver and gold...plus a lot of coins.
I call this beach hunting on land because the amount of jewelry buried here can be surprising.

Watch people and how they act around these places and you will understand why.
They take off their coats, shirts, make piles of their belongings and place them on the ground around the edges of these things especially in the corners.
Then many take their jewelry off and put them in these piles too.
When they are done playing they pick up these piles and sometimes forget the jewelry is in there loose so when they pick their stuff up that jewelry can drop out right there...or anywhere on the paths that lead to their cars in parking lots.

So far I have found close to 12 gold rings near these, gold and silver pendants,religious medallions and crosses, several silver chains and more.

I don't live near any beaches but that is fine, if a park has a basketball or volleyball court in it I know that for those of us that can deal with the large amount of trash that also infest these perimeters the rewards can be shockingly great.

Always. That jumping ain't good for the stuff in their pants.

Especially at beaches x-ball pits are the first places i charge. :neo:
And in parks also around those pits were the spectators were watching.

I never walk past one. But I am still waiting to find enough of anything in one to make it worth my time. It is rare that I even find a clad coin in one. In five years I may have totaled a dollar and one small sterling ear ring.
But as with every place we detect one never knows until you swing a coil over the area. So I keep hitting every one that I come across.

I have been seeing a lot of sand volleyball pits in parks near me and I was just wondering if any of you have ever hunted in one or have had any luck in them?
5-years in Florida and only found $0.25 in the VB courts! Then again, when I'm on the beach, that is the first place I see other MD's go hunt. Usually 8-10 guys out swinging so if something is lost, its found pretty quick, lol

I found a really nice gold ring at a lake side beach vball court. Made my day.

I've found a silver ring and part of a silver chain bracelet at an inland park vball court.

Junk rings (2)? A samsung galaxy that was a pita to return (next time I'll leave a phone find on a bench).

Not a lot of targets overall. Zero luck at the coastal beach vball courts.

They're easy if not time consuming to hunt. Worth it? Dunno. I think Diggers onto something with the perimeter thing...

No luck on them myself, and we have a huge amount of Sand Vball going on here on the beaches...I keep hitting them though, scooping all the little pings and pops even...hoping to hear a chain...It makes sense as an excellent drop zone for chains, earrings and rings...

I still dig in the sand anyway, you never know what you might find.
One day, probably using my Vaquero, I got a nice signal and started digging down.
Don't know what was going on in this place because the sand was that nice fine white sugar sand and unusually deep.
I got down to about 8"+ before my Propointer would even start going off, at about one foot I uncovered the top of something big and yellow.
WTH?...Probably a Mellow Yellow can

I dug around it and got it out, it wasn't a can but instead I had found the mothership of all toy cars.
Had a face on it, took 3 AA batteries to do something but the ones in there were wasted, said Mattel 2008 on the bottom.

Pretty neat, not jewelry but not junk either.

Attachments

• P1020769.jpg
    P1020769.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 289
I hunt them a lot, but I've not found much but some coins and an odd ear ring. Lots of bottle caps. But it is easy digging and the potential is always there. I don't pass them up. I think that the problem is that there are other people out there who consider them easy to work as well, so nothing stays in the sand long. I think that timing is everything.

Sure not as good as the tot lots I hunt.

We've got a Volleyball Court in the city park and I've noticed lately every weekend has a game going on and the place full of people. Checked it twice now after the weekends and nothing but a little clad.

Yup. Found coins, jewelry and of course the typical junk: candy wrappers, pop tabs, bottlecaps, etc. I've even found McDonald's toys in there. Kids play in volleyball pits more than you'd think, they like to build sand castles.

Just hit one the last time I was out. Pulled over $5 in clad. Super easy retrieves.

I do understand why some have no luck with them.

It's the same on small beaches in my neighbourhood as it also is on the busiest beach at sea in my country.
A couple of hunters have no luck hunting there. Yeah right, cause much more hunters already cleared it before them.
If it was busy today and you go hunt tomorrow your already to late cause others were before you.

Same as many playground in my neighbourhood will give no more than some new lost small change.
Because i've hunted those for many times in many years and totally cleared them from all older lost stuff. Only to be found what's lost 'yesterday'.

So "i had no luck" is no confirmation for "nothing to find there".:laughing::laughing::laughing:
(and there is always something left to be found cause no spot is emty ever or filled again)

Back
Top Bottom