• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Looking for a cable for AT PRO

graybeard

Elite Member
Is there any place you can get a short cable for the AT PRO, to make it easier to change search coils. The stupid design that Garrett did, don't make sense.

I contacted Garrett and was told they don't do anything to change things for any detector that they design. They refuse to change anything for it, but with enough complaints they made a cable for headphones.

seems to me that if you add or take away from the tuned circuit you would have some effect on the freq .. like adding cable length .. Might be a reason to the madness

Most coils actually come with a longer cable than the stock Garrett coils...

Some are long enough for hip mounting the control box...

<°)))>{

I keep seeing people complain about changing coils on the ATP. I don't see it. It's a bit tight but I can change mine out in less than a minute. Haven't really had a problem yet and I change mine out pretty often.

I'm thinking that if you left the cable in place from teh control box down to, say 6" from the coil, then the coil had a 6" cable. There would be a "coupling" 6" from the coiol which is easier to access than under my control box protector.
Maybe...

I'm thinking that if you left the cable in place from teh control box down to, say 6" from the coil, then the coil had a 6" cable. There would be a "coupling" 6" from the coiol which is easier to access than under my control box protector.
Maybe...

That is an interesting idea.

But I never had any problem attaching my coil cables , and after about the second time doing it the process seemed easy......even though you need to take care not to damage those pins. It helps to be mechanically inclined , but its not a difficult procedure.

Your idea is a good one though.

I keep seeing people complain about changing coils on the ATP. I don't see it. It's a bit tight but I can change mine out in less than a minute. Haven't really had a problem yet and I change mine out pretty often.

Same here. As long as you carefully line up the connector and don't over tighten the ring so it takes more than two fingers to get it loose again its fairly simple. Not as simple as a standard plug , but its not a terrible chore either.

If it had a short cable, it would make it easier to change. Try changing it in a location that is not well lit, and it can be harder to do. Where it is located you need more light than you do on most connectors on other detectors.

The Fisher F2 was a pain to change the coil. There wasn't much room to screw the connector to the control box. That was the only complaint that I had about the detector.

If it had a short cable, it would make it easier to change. Try changing it in a location that is not well lit, and it can be harder to do. Where it is located you need more light than you do on most connectors on other detectors.

You do need good light to change it , that's for sure.

The ATP design don't bother me but I realized really quickly that it wasn't as good as it could have been. The M-16/AR-15 rifle and its variants were designed in a way to make loading and servicing easier and quicker in the dark ,...... a true " all terrain " metal detector would be designed much the same way. This is one of the ways the AT pro falls short of expectation , but all in all its still an extremely versatile little machine.

The ATP design don't bother me but I realized really quickly that it wasn't as good as it could have been. The M-16/AR-15 rifle and its variants were designed in a way to make loading and servicing easier and quicker in the dark ,...... a true " all terrain " metal detector would be designed much the same way. This is one of the ways the AT pro falls short of expectation , but all in all its still an extremely versatile little machine.

Now that Im thinking about it ( since I was making a comparison to rifles ) , Garrett and other detector manufacturers are missing a great opportunity by not making a detector that is modular and customizable like the M-4 rifle , could you imagine a lightweight rail system for adding options and optional choices of different components ? That would be great. Instead of making things more difficult to meet demands , make a detector that can be customized and set up according to the particular needs and function of each user. Give people options and they will then spend money on those options , win/win.

Now that Im thinking about it ( since I was making a comparison to rifles ) , Garrett and other detector manufacturers are missing a great opportunity by not making a detector that is modular and customizable like the M-4 rifle , could you imagine a lightweight rail system for adding options and optional choices of different components ? That would be great. Instead of making things more difficult to meet demands , make a detector that can be customized and set up according to the particular needs and function of each user. Give people options and they will then spend money on those options , win/win.

No doubt. We need Picitany rails! The next big thing in detectors. They work great on M-4's and would work great on anything else...picatany rails for all guns, metal detectors, bikes, maybe even my drink cup.

Back
Top Bottom