Need stuff sewn? Then head to the park!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
With my two young daughters out of school for the summer (and my wife too - she teaches) my time has not been my own, and my MDing has slowed down considerably. I've been sneaking in some short 30 minute to 60 minute hunts every few days, but they haven't been very productive - just a few Lincolns and trash mostly. Anyway, I woke up early this morning and headed out to a "new to me" park to get a few swings in before everyone woke up. It seemed like more of the same - trash, a handful of Zincolns, and one copper memorial that was ironically sitting on the surface.

The white bottle cap collar shown in the last pic really fooled me - I was absolutely convinced I was getting a ring! The signal didn't budge off of 68 on the VDI in any direction, and I spun a complete circle around the target hitting it in every conceivable direction - a gorgeous, solid tone. The "Iron Audio" feature on the Ace (which I'm officially relegating to useless status, at least for NW Ohio soil - a topic for its own post) gave me no grunts. So of course I dig - and out pops a ring alright! Absolutely priceless learning experience - but, boy I was torqued up enough at the time that I almost decided to call it a day and head back home.

I decided to press on, and soon after the ring debacle, I hit another interesting signal, but kinda bouncy - ringing between 79 and 86. As I turned around the target, I started to get an occasional lower tone in the 50s or 60s, but still mostly higher. Kinda iffy, but something about the sound convinced me it might not be trash, so I dug. Out of the hole came this, only caked with more crud:

89c8a4769b8e0907747ff27ccdab1443.jpg

To me it looked like the tags used on utility poles for ID numbers or something similar - so into the pouch it went and I didn't give it a second though. A short time later, I was out of time - I packed up and called it a day after about 45 minutes total, rather disappointed with the results.

Anyway, after getting home, the "utility tag" was getting sorted out with the rest of my trash, when I realized I could see a big letter "W" printed on the metal through a light spot in the crud. A wash with water and dish soap revealed a pleasant surprise - the words "White Rotary" quickly became easily visible!

cd3bda3fb087cbba18e90d673f158b26.jpg

In no time, I had a match from Google - the nameplate on a 1929 White Rotary sewing machine! Pretty neat that one of the fasteners is still attached. What on Earth it was doing in the park, I have no idea... perhaps darning the socks on ball players at the field that's been there since at least 1950 :grin: If I remember right, there was a hefty iron signal right next to the tag...maybe I need to go back and dig up the rest of the machine :laughing: Anyway, it was nice to have the hunt turn out not to be a total loss :cool:

Image of the nameplate on a sewing machine from Google:
4f5b8a9c3f9d1f13ce455618f5ef4a76.jpg

Full hunt, including that dang cap collar ring!

2bd3cd1cbcf072c8d4707656db5f09e8.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's the story of my life - sneaking in 30/60 min hunts when I can! Totally relate!

Congrats on the cool finds, those are something that's been eluding me too!

Back
Top Bottom