Old Pincer Pliers

michaez

Forum Supporter
Found these about 5-7 inches deep, did some research, but they look to be like a really old pair of pincer pliers. My question is they are so rusted, is there anyway to clean them effectively that would not damage them (more than they already are LOL). Or it could just be garbage, what do you guys think? I am very new at this so finding something like this got me extremely excited for this hobby to go out and find more interesting things.

Thanks in advance!

-Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 365
nice find! the "cleaning your finds" section may have been a better spot to ask. but since we're here, lol....
electrolysis would knock a lot of the rust off of them but there's also a product on the market now that you just soak those in and a lot of the rust will fall off overnight. it's called evapo-rust and is pretty good stuff! :yes:
either method will do a very similar job, but the soaking is much easier. ;)

Pete

electrolysis will get the corrosion off, then you can decide if they are salvageable. I am sure there is instruction on making a electrolysis tank on here.

nice find! the "cleaning your finds" section may have been a better spot to ask. but since we're here, lol....
electrolysis would knock a lot of the rust off of them but there's also a product on the market now that you just soak those in and a lot of the rust will fall off overnight. it's called evapo-rust and is pretty good stuff! :yes:
either method will do a very similar job, but the soaking is much easier. ;)

Pete

I've used that stuff, pretty magical... Word of caution, make sure everything is completely submerged, otherwise a line will etch at the surface...

<°)))>{

that's very true! and the nice thing: it's re-usable for several uses, non-toxic, won't damage the actual item. :yes:

I just put together a batch of miscellaneous wrenches to drop in for a couple days at work tomorrow..

I've heard if it's cast iron, you have to watch it a closer...

<°)))>{

I just put together a batch of miscellaneous wrenches to drop in for a couple days at work tomorrow..

I've heard if it's cast iron, you have to watch it a closer...

<°)))>{

i've never tried cast in that solution, but considering how porous it is and softer than steel, yeah, that would be something to keep a close eye on for sure. :yes: you should do a "before and after" and let us know how it works out.

and sorry to the OP, not trying to hijack your thread. but that evapo-rust stuff would be the quickest and easiest way to go imo, especially if you don't want to mess around with electricity. and it's effective. :yes:

Hammer it the rust will fall right off and if you keep doing that and chiseling away the rust it will look real good than coat it in a wax

A couple before/after pictures of evapo rust results..

The monkey wrench (detecting find) came from the bottom of a lake, might have been under for 100 years...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170607_223917.jpg
    IMG_20170607_223917.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20170609_174612.jpg
    IMG_20170609_174612.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom