Door To Something?

Sasquatch39

I found this today at an old antebellum house site. It is a cast iron door and it says Improved Premium on it. I have it coveted in baking soda so I could read the words.

Attachments

• 20170608_181327.jpg
    20170608_181327.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 128
I'm guessing, but I suspect it is a door to an old cast iron stove. There was an old brand called Heritage Premium. Possible it is related to them.

Possibly a Buck's Improved Premium Air Tight

"Buck went into partnership with Wiley Wright, a local tinsmith, and over the next five years they began to make their own stoves in St. Louis and continued to enlarge and improve his stove and broaden their product range until it included a full spectrum of the common types -- “Improved Premium Air-tight, Parlor, and other stoves; box coal, 6, 7, and 10 plates” -- all on offer “wholesale or retail, at the lowest market prices.” But the Buck Stove, both the original model and an even bigger two-oven variant introduced in 1848-49, remained at the center of their business. By this time Buck had also established himself as a serial litigant, and this astute copyist now complained of treatment by his competitors that was not unlike his own past, and indeed continuing, practice. “tove inventers (sic) now find it necessary, in order to sell their wares, to copy as nearly as possible the form, and then, by diligent efforts, attempt to palm off their productions upon the public as an improvement on Buck's Patent.”

about 2/3's the way down this link you will find it, but I cant find your door. I've googled until I am blue in the face and cant find it mentioned anywhere else. Pretty interesting stuff anyway :D

http://stovehistory.blogspot.com/2015/01/darius-buck-and-invention-of-large-oven.html

Back
Top Bottom