3 Rings & a Half Dollar before the excal went BLAAACHHHH

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I wish it was 3 gold rings so I wouldn't feel bad about my excal being out of commission for a while.
The wife was itching to take our newborn daughter to the beach again today. We went last night as well, but I only managed a war nickel and silver ring at a badly sanded in beach so didnt bother posting. Today we tried a different beach. 1 coin (wheatie), no gold, no silver....but i did find half of a dollar bill stuck to the bottom in a foot of water. Its the bigger half too so it sucks for whoever finds the rest! [emoji12] On my last hole while walking back to the truck, I scored the 3 ringer and musket ball in the same scoop! I was almost to the truck, at the top of the slope, when all of a sudden my excal starts going nuts. I had it in pinpoint mode and the threshold sounded way off. I kicked it over to disc and the coil went dead.
I talked to Craig on the phone and he suggested the coil may have cracked and gotten water inside and to let it dry out. I got home, took the coil cover off and low and behold, a crack. How the heck does that happen when you have a coil cover on all the time?
841b38af9580ced275f0f1f82852220f.jpg
6a2a265ac96b85b731d043414e002d05.jpg
20170411_230530.jpg20170411_230407.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wish it was 3 gold rings so I wouldn't feel bad about my excal being out of commission for a while.
The wife was itching to take our newborn daughter to the beach again today. We went last night as well, but I only managed a war nickel and silver ring at a badly sanded in beach so didnt bother posting. Today we tried a different beach. 1 coin (wheatie), no gold, no silver....but i did find half of a dollar bill stuck to the bottom in a foot of water. On my last hole while walking back to the truck, I scored the 3 ringer and musket ball in the same scoop! I was almost to the truck, at the top of the slope, when all of a sudden my excal starts going nuts. I had it in pinpoint mode and the threshold sounded way off. I kicked it over to disc and the coil went dead.
I talked to Craig on the phone and he suggested the coil may have cracked and gotten water inside and to let it dry out. I got home, took the coil cover off and low and behold, a crack. How the heck does that happen when you have a coil cover on all the time?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

George.. I told you on the phone that if you leave the coil cover on after hunts the water stays in there and will help cause the separation... do what I said.. it worked for me but give it a few days to really dry out before using the epoxy to make the repair...as soon as you told me the symptoms I knew what it was :)

One more thing George... can you please return that lamp finial to me... guess I lost it last year :lol:

Great finds! A musketball and 3 ringer in the same hole, that's gotta be rare to say the least! Bummer on the coil, Better the coil than control box though. happy hunting!

I hope it dries out, That's a big gap.

Mine was bigger than that Joe.. I filled it with epoxy and its been fine since... I had a pebble the size of a BB allowing water into the coil... I told George how I dried it with a hair dryer after washing it with freshwater and letting it sit in the warmth for 3 days before attempting to seal it.

Swinglow, hopefully you can fix it yourself. If not, Minicab now repairs Excals in Chandler AZ. I just sent mine in and they fixed 2 of them for me in less than 2 weeks.

I think most excal coils crack like that over time. Let it dry out, spread it slightly with a toothpick, fill with superglue until overflowing, let that dry and then epoxy the whole area and bottom of the coil...

Looks like you were having a great hunt until,,,
I just epoxied my coil cover where it had cracked so I guess I won't be taking mine off after every hunt for awhile yet.

you have 2 of them? or just coils? lets go hunting buddy
I am ready. Leaving for Florida in 8 days.:grin:IMy bride has been gone the past 6 days and I went detecting everyday. Didn't find a lot but what I did find was very deep and old. I found 10 coins over 100 years old, several silver, silver pendant and 1 gold ring. Found 2 Indians, 2 V nickels, 2 Barber dimes and a bunch of old wheats 80, 90, and over 100 years old. We do need to do some water detecting together this summer.

Sorry to hear you're having Excal problems as well. Hopefully the advice given will take care of the problem. I think if the repair worked I would epoxy the whole bottom and then coat with bed liner rather than use a coil cover.

Sorry to hear you're having Excal problems as well. Hopefully the advice given will take care of the problem. I think if the repair worked I would epoxy the whole bottom and then coat with bed liner rather than use a coil cover.

Do not use bedliner.. ML will void any warranty if you use it but they said epoxy was ok.

Back
Top Bottom