April showers bring old gold

fdutra

Went out again yesterday to the beach where I got my last gold, the same place I had left good sounding targets that were just out of my reach. Just as the tide hit low and I was hitting greenies again, the wind swung around and I started taking spray in my face and over the top of my waders. I wasn't going to leave those targets behind again, so I took it in the face for another hour until I was soaking wet and forced to head in due to failing light. As I swung around I hit a nice gravelly low and decided to dig one more,,, Wham! 11.3 g of 14k ! I knew there had to be one more gold there with all those greenies.

grouping.jpg

ring.jpg

The ring is in real bad shape with a repaired and braced back break, and two other weak spots that are about to let go. This one would likely fetch more than melt if it weren't in such bad shape,,, the detail is incredible. It looks to me like it was hand carved , every little gouge and knife cut are plainly visible under the scope. Any one know what the coat of arms/motif is ?

closeup band.jpg

On another front,,,
I couldn't handle the suspense of not knowing what was inside a small conglomerate that looked suspiciously like it had a ring embedded, and took a small hammer and chisel to it. It was like being tortured with a "Thumb Screws"

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245388

thumbscrew.jpg

Got another nice ship's spike too.

ships spike.jpg

Thanks for looking

:dingding: That's a lovely old honker! HONK! HONK!!

Here is the image reversed (as it would be seen in the melted wax) and tweaked..

Might be able to track down the crest or find some cool history..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170410_204426.jpg
    IMG_20170410_204426.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 427
Went out again yesterday to the beach where I got my last gold, the same place I had left good sounding targets that were just out of my reach. Just as the tide hit low and I was hitting greenies again, the wind swung around and I started taking spray in my face and over the top of my waders. I wasn't going to leave those targets behind again, so I took it in the face for another hour until I was soaking wet and forced to head in due to failing light. As I swung around I hit a nice gravelly low and decided to dig one more,,, Wham! 11.3 g of 14k ! I knew there had to be one more gold there with all those greenies.

The ring is in real bad shape with a repaired and braced back break, and two other weak spots that are about to let go. This one would likely fetch more than melt if it weren't in such bad shape,,, the detail is incredible. It looks to me like it was hand carved , every little gouge and knife cut are plainly visible under the scope. Any one know what the coat of arms/motif is ?
]

On another front,,,
I couldn't handle the suspense of not knowing what was inside a small conglomerate that looked suspiciously like it had a ring embedded, and took a small hammer and chisel to it. It was like being tortured with a "Thumb Screws"

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245388

Got another nice ship's spike too.

Thanks for looking

Congrats on the gold ring... the brace is actually a ring sizer that could be gold as well.

http://viewithere.com/ring_guard/index.html#.WOxAaYWcE6Y

I guess it wasn't tight enough :D

I'm with Scuba, You might think about setting that one on the side and saving it for a day you can have it repaired. Very Nice Old Gold!

That looks like some sort of signet ring. The relief would leave a raised coat of arms in soft wax, or whatnot.

Wow, that's a really nice ring you got there, hope you can fully restore it! Congrats!

Thanks Josh, agree that it really should be restored

Cool old ring nice

k

Thanks Tiane

Congrats interesting design on ring , ,,,,,HH
Thanks Ricki

:dingding: That's a lovely old honker! HONK! HONK!!

Thanks Felix and a honk back atcha

Awesome, super old wax seal ring!

Huge congratulations!

<°)))>{

Thanks Ice

Fantastic find congrats!

Thanks cellar dweller

Congrats on the gold ring... the brace is actually a ring sizer that could be gold as well.

http://viewithere.com/ring_guard/index.html#.WOxAaYWcE6Y

I guess it wasn't tight enough :D

Thanks Cfmct, Lucky for me it wasn't tight enough

Congrats on the old gold...great find!

Thanks Cap

I'm with Scuba, You might think about setting that one on the side and saving it for a day you can have it repaired. Very Nice Old Gold!
Thanks OBN, Agree with you and Scuba, gotta save this one.

That looks like some sort of signet ring. The relief would leave a raised coat of arms in soft wax, or whatnot.

Thanks Dogs, I think that your right, that's why the image is reversed in Ice scatchers picture

Wow super finds!

Thanks Jadocs

Beautiful looking ring there, heck of a catch!

Thanks Zeemang

I'd love to know what the sigil means. Do you know what the writing inside of the ring says?

The nearest I can come up with is a stylized 14K followed by a poorly cast " mecca"

Here is the image reversed (as it would be seen in the melted wax) and tweaked..

Might be able to track down the crest or find some cool history..

<°)))>{

Thanks Ice, I really like that image reversed, a much better depiction of what the seal would look like. That image is some sort of photoshop voodoo I take it.

Take a look here.... these rings can be modern.. as fixing it.. its really not worth it.. I had a friend repair a ring that cost over $400... I have a 22k ring I wanted to fix but it was more than that... no thank you...

http://www.4crests.com/famcrescoato13.html

Its only worth what you can get for it. Throw it in the scrap bin and find a complete one :yes:

I might have that ring repaired if it was mine. If you decide to melt it please look me up.

Very nice score.

Thanks!

It's yours for melt Scuba, one good turn deserves another. One condition though. I'm really conflicted about parting with it as I love doing the research on my finds almost as much as I do finding them so I'd like it if you kept us updated on your findings and a picture or two of the restored ring. I know I'll never get around to fixing it the right way, and it will just end up with the rest of my unfinished projects, not to mention I could use the $ for a project I'm starting. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom