Help identifying old button

Sammyt97

Hi All,

i found this button on a property that's been around since the mid 1800's. I found a US Air Force pin in the same area which I think goes to WWII (I included a photo of that too to confirm the era). Can someone help ID the button for me? It's flat and it's about the size of a large cent, maybe a bit smaller (thought it was a coin when I pulled it out). There is no noted writing on the back so I'm just including the front. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4195.jpg
    IMG_4195.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,018
  • IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,801
Button back

Thanks for all the information. I should have known about the air force....

Here is a photo of the back of the button. Thanks for your helpful information all.

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,940
Agreed, not a tombac. I like buttons, especially ones with designs. They display well when cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would you recommend cleaning it up? Any suggestions? I've found a few older buttons as of late and would love to clean them up and have them in a case or something.
Thanks.

I'm going to try and start doing videos for a YouTube channel. Give me a few days to find the time and I'll get a video put together of my process. I've got a batch of flat buttons sitting around to do.

Great. I'll look forward to seeing it. I just found a couple of other old buttons, one I can't see the other is a Gilt button (non military) from approximately the 1830's. I love the buttons.

Thanks for the help and the info.

Hi All,

i found this button on a property that's been around since the mid 1800's. Can someone help ID the button for me? It's flat and it's about the size of a large cent, maybe a bit smaller (thought it was a coin when I pulled it out). There is no noted writing on the back so I'm just including the front. Thanks.

It's a tombac, late 1700s/early 1800s.

I agree with Patch , its a "machine etched" patterned tombac button

I'd like to see this button cleaned up a little. There are differing opinions here whether it is a Tombac or not. I guess I'm seconding guessing my opinion it is not a Tombac.
I based my opinion on what I know first hand. Tombac is an alloy of zinc and copper. Typically the ones I've seen first hand appear to resemble pewter and every one I've seen in person had a cone type shank. Cone shank is the common type you see on a tombac. There are varieties of other styles of shanks on tombacs of course, but are rarer, soldered and omega being the other styles. This shank appears cast, something I've not seen on a tombac.
The color on this one just seems to have too much "redness" in it.
Maybe cleaned up we could gleam more info. You may not want to clean it. Many people would be extremely happy the way it looks now. I'm always up to learning new things and will be first to admit if my opinion is wrong. I'd rather in the end know 100% what I have.

I actually do plan on cleaning it up. I'm waiting to see some of the you tube videos on how to clean it by Hoosier Digger if he's able. I don't mind cleaning it if it's not going to ruin any detail. I know there's all kinds of varying opinions on cleaning things....Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to see this button cleaned up a little. There are differing opinions here whether it is a Tombac or not. I guess I'm seconding guessing my opinion it is not a Tombac.
I based my opinion on what I know first hand. Tombac is an alloy of zinc and copper. Typically the ones I've seen first hand appear to resemble pewter and every one I've seen in person had a cone type shank. Cone shank is the common type you see on a tombac. There are varieties of other styles of shanks on tombacs of course, but are rarer, soldered and omega being the other styles. This shank appears cast, something I've not seen on a tombac.
The color on this one just seems to have too much "redness" in it.
Maybe cleaned up we could gleam more info. You may not want to clean it. Many people would be extremely happy the way it looks now. I'm always up to learning new things and will be first to admit if my opinion is wrong. I'd rather in the end know 100% what I have.

Tombacs can come in many different colors or tones when first dug as seen in this first picture . as you see they can range from greenish to reddish browns to the silvery greys .

yes the majority of the backs usually have the "turret" or raised area under the shank but not always , Tombac is referring to the metal composition not necessarily the physical characteristics of the button . There are tombacs without the raised area as shown in the next two pictures .

Lastly the OP button has the "Machined etched" design which is indicative of tombacs and not associated with regular brass cast buttons , I have yet to see a regular brass cast button with these designs on them . If someone can produce an example or two of these , I'd really be interested.

Attachments

• tombacs coloration from dirty to clean 1.JPG
    tombacs coloration from dirty to clean 1.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,668
  • tombac with no turret under shank 2.1.JPG
    tombac with no turret under shank 2.1.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,579
  • tombac with no turret under shank 1.JPG
    tombac with no turret under shank 1.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,538
help me with this

i found several of these at old school and at first thought they were gun sights but found several please help

Attachments

• IMG_20150531_105006.jpg
    IMG_20150531_105006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_20150531_105022.jpg
    IMG_20150531_105022.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,529
Thanks cooper head for the info. Those you've shown I recognized as Tombac. The shank on the back of the original post, what do you make of that? Is it unusual to you for a Tombac? Even the machine etched Tombacs I've always seen have a "torrent" or a soldered shank. Like this one here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433101493.830584.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433101501.378957.jpg

I'm sure you've found out by now but , those are type set printing press holders . they hold all the letters in place on old printing presses .

Hello, did someone know something about this button, I cannot find such button nowhere?
20170407200917-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom