Vinegar?

a warning on vinegar...its great for glass...not for metal...it is highly acidic and can ruin certain things .... i used to do alot of bladesmithing and i would use vinegar to blacken a blade....the acid in vinegar is ruthless if left unchecked

it works

I use it on dark wheaties to get a date or get them a little better looking.
Just put them in there about 20-30 min. at a stretch, then rub with baking soda.
Look closely between each go to make sure its not looking worse.
Sometimes wheats will have microscopic pitting that is really emphasized by etching with vinegar, and they start looking horrible.
It works good on silver too, one merc I found was so black, and a common date, so I hit it hard with vinegar, now it looks way more shiny than it should.

I wouldn't use it as it is corrosive. I never have attempted it though and don't think I would anyways. Coins lose value if cleaned up. So for me it is soap and water and clean it with a toothbrush.

I wouldn't use it as it is corrosive. I never have attempted it though and don't think I would anyways. Coins lose value if cleaned up. So for me it is soap and water and clean it with a toothbrush.

I used to think that 'light cleaning' was also bad, but I've come to the conclusion that many 'Graders' can't see past a 'good patina'. I've seen people 'Re-Patina' coins on YouTube after cleaning them and the same Coin dealer will give it TWO or MORE grades after seeing the same coin the 'first time'... It's Funny. Liver of Sulphur is only 1 way to re-patina coins and it sure works well.

Cheers,

I've used it to pull dates from no-date Buffalo Nickels (overnight soak), but find it a bit too strong for most everything else.

I use it to clean my finds, one thing I can say for sure is that it takes off the color of EURO coins.

Back
Top Bottom