• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sea glass

IowaChris

Hey all. I've only been able to get out detecting once so far this year, but we did just take a vacation to southern California and got in some time on the beach. We did pretty well looking for sea glass. Here are some pictures of most of what I found.

I've never detected the beach, but from reading others' posts, I think ideal conditions to find sea glass are similar. The first day at one beach there were pockets of small stones that would get tumbled with each wave and you could literally just pick the glass out of there. The next day, in the exact same spot, nothing but sand. Occasionally you would step on a soft spot and could wiggle your feet down about 4" and get to the rocky stuff. We would wait for a wave to come in and then try to kick the rocks up out of the hole and look for glass. Much more difficult than the first day.

Attachments

• Rares.jpg
    Rares.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Fresca.jpg
    Fresca.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 2017-03-23 22.22.27.jpg
    2017-03-23 22.22.27.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 2017-03-23 22.22.04.jpg
    2017-03-23 22.22.04.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 174
Nice collection , we have a lot around the lake here , a shop close by sells their creations , they get a good price . GL. ,,,,,HH

Some years back I saw a treasure hunting show on TV about collecting sea glass in California. Seems like I recall them saying that red was one of the harder colors to find.? Once found they were taken to a local lapidary artist who would shape and set the glass in sterling silver creating jewelry!

The Wife is just nuts about Seaglass! Shells, whatnot! She built this lamp...

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 134
  • lamp1.jpg
    lamp1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 137
The Wife is just nuts about Seaglass! Shells, whatnot! She built this lamp...

Wow, THAT is some creative artwork by your wife Mud !!!!

......you mean you don't have a local shop like "Mud and Wife's Recycled What-Nots" ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Maybe you could craft something out of old crusty zincolns :lol:

(seriously though, lamps like that could fetch a pretty penny, in fact lots of pennies ! :lol: )

I use broken glass for tumbler medium...

After I discovered it turns it into beach glass, I started saving all the cool colored pieces I find in my scoop water hunting...

IMG_5013_zpsda31e442.jpg

<°)))>{

Old red colored glass was made with real gold, making it expensive, and thus rare...

<°)))>{

That lamp is pretty sweet mud. Did she use a bowl for a mold? is there a wire frame under to support it?

Yeah red is rare. between my wife and i, we actually found 5 pieces on this trip. I was pretty pumped about that pink one.

Old red colored glass was made with real gold, making it expensive, and thus rare...

<°)))>{

Red glass is still some of the more expensive glass to buy at stained glass supply shops because of the gold chloride used to create the red color. Modern red glass uses some copper compounds along with the gold chloride to reduce the cost but red is still expensive compared to other colors. I've tinkered around with stained glass for about 25 years. Just my 2 cents worth of useless information.

Mud, your wife's lamp is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom