Sandbass and Hybrid fishing

All I remember from my last trip is you better be ready cause they SLAM that bait and the initial fight is wild!!:wow:

Lol, just got done with about 2 days straight fishing, I took vacation last week. It's not even full spawn yet and they are crazy already. Mostly still morning and evenings right now, but we had fish for dinner the night before last and will again tomorrow. Hybrids, crappie and sandbass, fry them up! Just get tired of cleaning all the fish after catching so many.

Fight is right though. We gear down to ultralight poles with 4 pound test line and it feels like a shark reeling them in. It's fun until you hook a 22 inch hybrid and he just takes off snapping the line.

When all else fails--Google it--it's a white bass! Around here we call crappie --speckled perch!

Well..White Bass and Crappie are two distinct fishes up North...Just different local names is all...When I lived in Alabama, they talked about the 'Jack Salmon' run...Well... In Michigan, a jack salmon is entirely different than a sauger..In Alabama, on Guntersville Lake, they called a sauger a 'Jack Salmon'! Imagine my surprise! For once in my Life, I brought a Gun to a knifefight!:laughing:

As you know, Crappie dont 'Slam' a spinner or a bait..it takes a very subtle hand to understand them..low slow bobber down for Crappie! Super Ultralight gear and all that..

White Bass in Spawn mode absolutely hit with a vengeance! Striper or Hybrids as well...Me, I like catching 4" gills with a super ultralight and crickets, or a fly rod...too much excitement otherwise...Gills all across the Country taste pretty damn succulent!..the Name dont matter once the grease starts to splatter!....:laughing:

Well..White Bass and Crappie are two distinct fishes up North...Just different local names is all...When I lived in Alabama, they talked about the 'Jack Salmon' run...Well... In Michigan, a jack salmon is entirely different than a sauger..In Alabama, on Guntersville Lake, they called a sauger a 'Jack Salmon'! Imagine my surprise! For once in my Life, I brought a Gun to a knifefight!:laughing:

As you know, Crappie dont 'Slam' a spinner or a bait..it takes a very subtle hand to understand them..low slow bobber down for Crappie! Super Ultralight gear and all that..

White Bass in Spawn mode absolutely hit with a vengeance! Striper or Hybrids as well...Me, I like catching 4" gills with a super ultralight and crickets, or a fly rod...too much excitement otherwise...Gills all across the Country taste pretty damn succulent!..the Name dont matter once the grease starts to splatter!....:laughing:

The crappie are tougher to catch, but they taste better. That's my fish of choice to eat, some sweet meat there! You're right about slow and low with a bobber. They just pull the bait for a ride - slowly to see what's up, sometimes for up to a minute before taking it under. You have to have patience crappie fishing. Many times they will just circle around playing with the bait but won't take it down. Their attention span is short though (like teenagers :laughing:) so they always come right back to it. If you miss setting the hook when they first take it down, just let it sit there another 3 minutes and he'll come right back around for another take.

The sandbass (white bass) will just nail it and run, they're not picky. You can catch them on an empty hook.

Blue gill, perch, sunfish are good eating too. Just takes about 20 of them to make a good fish nugget dinner!

Sux my vacation is over and back to work. But I got a good case of poison ivy to remember it by! :laughing: And the snakes on the creek trails, it's that time too so be careful along those creeks!

I'm keeping hold of that one^ đź‘Ť

<°)))>{

As you can surmise...theres a story behind that one that you may appreciate, being a Lake Erie boy and all...Anyway Ice, you remember the big Smelt runs at Pt Pelee back in the 70's? All of us Michiganders would drive across the bridge to Canada (without a passport) and do a big seine riff through there?? Then,, we would come on back to the States and clean smelt all night?

As everyone knows, running a 50'seine theres gonna be some bycatch, suckers and alewives and fatheads and whatnot...but a fellow just dont have the time to weed them all out at the beach site dispersal, and its left to the discretion of the 'cleaners' to figure out a Smelt from a creek chub, sucker, baby carp etc....easy as pie you would think right?.

So it was about 1978...I took a load of Ohio farmboys up for my traditional Smelt run, and Yeah, we hauled in a barrel full!...got home and started in on the "All Night cleaning, cooking, eating, freezing, drinking Smelt festival"...I never thought a guy would have to explain the details of fish Identification and the weeding out process of the bycatch...

Looking back, a guy should have known better! Ohio farmboys who had never been Smelting in Canada cant be expected to be Icthyologists...so the bycatch weed out program was pretty much disregarded... by 4am, who really cares anyway?

So we gobbled up carp fry, fatheads, alewives, sucker minnows, along with the smelt! And you know what? I never said a thing! Actually...after all night seineing and drinking, a guy cant tell a carp baby from a fathead minnow anyway...Unless you have a discriminating palate like a Michigander...Definitely not a turd hearse Buckeye or a hayseed hogfarm Hoosier!..."tomatoe, tomato" kind of deal I reckon...I will say, regarding fish frys... the right Tartar Sauce can make all the difference!:laughing:

I dont think those massive Pt Pelee smelt runs are gong on anymore? Even if they were, a guy would have to have a passport just to go across the bridge, big time expensive license too I bet!...Easier and way much cheaper to seine a local Ohio creek for fatheads!...like I said..tartar sauce is the key to the taste, and just know, in the end, by about 5:30am...it really doesnt matter, you are gonna be puking anyway!:laughing:

Smelt are very rare now a days, its too damn much trouble to drive across the bridge for them...And the border guards royally suck, especially the Canadians!.."Like pop the trunk eh?" "Got a boot full of fish eh?" "Drunker than a fiddlers bicth tonight are ya you yankee smelt dipping btard??"...The hell? Screw this!

Ohio is full of fatheads! Indiana is loaded with suckers!...Get some decent tartar sauce! Meats back on the menu boys!:laughing: I sure miss that though...those smelt seining runs...Border guards aside, most Canadians are pretty much OK.....those days were really something though...perfect freedom..

Imagine, just driving across an International bridge crossing at night into a foreign Country and catching a 55gal barrel full of fish on a few drags? Drunker than hell the whole time? No passport or nothing? Everybody yelling and screaming like @ssholes? Where can a guy do something like that now a days? Iowa?

Last edited:
You know exactly what I'm saying Ice! Anybody that runs a sawmill blade off the back of a boat certainly gets it! I still got that 50' seine around here someplace..I dont what its good for.. erosion abatement mesh perhaps?

50ft = quick, fresh, free, bait and dinner if you're a smelt guy lol...

I asked my buddy, why in the hell are you bringing bait into the cabin.. :?:

He said "it's smelt, ":yes:

I smelt it too, I told him. But why bring it in?

He said "because it's smelt" :grin:

I KNOW IT SMELT BAD ENOUGH OUTSIDE!! :mad::mad:

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom