Replacing my pin pointer. Suggestions?

Made up my mind. Fingers crossed

Boys (and girls) I've made a decision. After reading everyone's comments/advice AND watching numerous on-line videos...I ordered a ...(wait for it)...Fisher F-Pulse waterproof pointer. It was a difficult decision between Garrett Carrot, Whites Bullseye TRX and Fisher (or a Teknetics) pulse induction product. Not sure about pulse induction technology versus VLF (very low frequency) pointers, but it seems to be "the future" for MD. It's my first Fisher item...wish me luck and I'll let ya'll know whether it "delivers the goods" and lives up to expectations. HH and MANY THANKS to all who pitched in!!!

TRX is great. Deepest, flashlight beam detection zone, very reliable.
Just curious, but what do you mean by "Flash light beam detection zone" ??

I have a Makro and just bought a TRX (hence my question above)..

The TRX feels kinda cheap/lightweight and when I removed the cover to the battery compartment, it seems cheaply built. The Makro is built like a tank in comparison and feels like it has a better build quality..

That said, I wasn't overly impressed with actual performance of the Makro and the TRX knocks spots off it both in range and sensitivity. Once I got passed the light weight feel to the TRX, I was just plain impressed...I really hope it has the reliability to match..

It's detection zone is straight out the end of the tip. it doesn't detect from the sides hardly at all.

It's detection zone is straight out the end of the tip. it doesn't detect from the sides hardly at all.
Thanks for that, I am with you now, just never heard the feature described that way.....

In fact, it was that feature which was one of the main reasons I choose the TRX over the Fischer and I must say it's a joy to use a pinpointer that actually pinpoints! lol

Last edited:
"I must say it's a joy to use a pinpointer that actually pinpoints! lol" "Pete e" "With that said I feel the same way, TRX all the way.

You stated that you've used the Garrett propointer "for years" and it's starting to wear out. that is normal....if your current pinpointer has lasted years, why change brands? I've been using Garrett pinpointers since I first started using a pinpointer and in my opinion they're the best. I had a White's TRX and didn't really like it.

diggin4clad:

As I noted..."after reading everyone's comments (here and other MD sites) on the subject and watching numerous (>6) videos, I made a decision. IMHO, Garrett is good (very good) but it uses VLF technology whereas Fisher's F-Pulse PP uses pulse induction. I surmise PI is the future and in all the 'depth' air test videos the Fisher product beat the competition. Hope that answers your question. HH

ETA - I agree, White's TRX though good is not better than others. At the end of the day...we all have our favorites and/or reasons to dislike some brands. HH

diggin4clad:

As I noted..."after reading everyone's comments (here and other MD sites) on the subject and watching numerous (>6) videos, I made a decision. IMHO, Garrett is good (very good) but it uses VLF technology whereas Fisher's F-Pulse PP uses pulse induction. I surmise PI is the future and in all the 'depth' air test videos the Fisher product beat the competition. Hope that answers your question. HH

ETA - I agree, White's TRX though good is not better than others. At the end of the day...we all have our favorites and/or reasons to dislike some brands. HH

That may be, but not by a whole lot from what I recall when I was researching the F-Pulse.

Short of searching hot ground or salt water beaches, the PI feature of the F-Pulse will be a secondary feature after other traits, like ergonomics, reliability, ease of retuning, etc.

That may be, but not by a whole lot from what I recall when I was researching the F-Pulse.

Short of searching hot ground or salt water beaches, the PI feature of the F-Pulse will be a secondary feature after other traits, like ergonomics, reliability, ease of retuning, etc.

When I looked into it, I think the F-Pulse had a better detection range than the TRX, which in turn was better than the Carrot, which in turn was better most other Pinpointers such as Makro...

The top three designs all have more than enough range, and I would agree that its often their other features, plus the cost, which govern people's choices...

When I looked into it, I think the F-Pulse had a better detection range than the TRX, which in turn was better than the Carrot, which in turn was better most other Pinpointers such as Makro...

The top three designs all have more than enough range, and I would agree that its often their other features, plus the cost, which govern people's choices...

I would agree.

I think the only real advantage of the extended range of the F-Pulse will be the ability to pinpoint for shallow targets before digging. This would be especially useful in parks and lawns.

Final comments. I have 'moved on' from Garrett for personal reasons which definitely shouldn't affect anyone else's opinion. From my own experience, their products are certainly in the top 3 or 4 in terms of capability, reliability, service, etc...but I do not consider them 'THE' end of all debate and I live ~ 40 minutes drive time from their plant. I've taken products there and YES, their service cannot be disputed...BUT nor are their products 'trouble free' or absolutely 'superior' to their competition.

If you/anyone is satisfied with the product they are using, by no means jump to another without consideration for its competition and technological upgrades. Again...HH :yes:

Final comments. I have 'moved on' from Garrett for personal reasons which definitely shouldn't affect anyone else's opinion. From my own experience, their products are certainly in the top 3 or 4 in terms of capability, reliability, service, etc...but I do not consider them 'THE' end of all of debate and I live ~ 40 minutes drive time from their plant. I've taken products there and YES, their service cannot be disputed...BUT nor are their products 'trouble free' or absolutely 'superior' to their competition.

If you/anyone is satisfied with the product their using, by no means jump to another without consideration for its competition and technological upgrades. Again...HH :yes:

Oh, please explain! Or maybe over PM?

I would agree.

I think the only real advantage of the extended range of the F-Pulse will be the ability to pinpoint for shallow targets before digging. This would be especially useful in parks and lawns.

I do love this about my F-Pulse. Shallow targets in parks and lawns can easily be pinpointed from above ground which means just popping the target out of the ground. It makes shallow coins easy to retrieve with much less digging.

I've had mine about 3 months and it works great.

I was hoping someone would say something about the pulse dive pin pointer from Nokia.
I have the simplex+ and need a pin pointer. Since the carrot is close to the same frequency it chatters according to others so that’s why I’m interested in the pulse dive.

I bought my first F-Pulse right after it was introduced and I am here to say, that first iteration was EVERYTHING I wanted, until it started flipping out. The replacement they sent had immediate issues, and the range of detection dropped.

That first one was the TRX in range plus it had 360 degree detection. I thought I was in heaven. It was perfect! I kinda wish I'd kept that first one and just done my own redesign, like I ended up doing with the replacement anyway.

I am using the second F-Pulse these days, but I gotta pack the TRX for pre-dig detection. Life is not bad, but that first run of production was killer. I still get 3 inches on dimes, which most people will say is more than enough for a pinpointer.

I want the most depth. I can always detune but I can't enhance depth.

I had the nokta pulse dive. It was huge and did not like it at all. It was in full fast beep mode at 3 or more inches from target like how most pinpointers are at 1/2" from target. It was huge and bulky. 11" long and does not fit in any other holders other thannits own.

I was hoping someone would say something about the pulse dive pin pointer from Nokia.
I have the simplex+ and need a pin pointer. Since the carrot is close to the same frequency it chatters according to others so that’s why I’m interested in the pulse dive.

I had the nokta pulse dive. It was huge and did not like it at all. It was in full fast beep mode at 3 or more inches from target like how most pinpointers are at 1/2" from target. It was huge and bulky. 11" long and does not fit in any other holders other thannits own.

Thank you for responding basstrackerman, great info.

Merlin SXL

What ? No votes for the Merlin SXL Pinpointer? :(

This was my first pinpointer and used it for years before I got a Garrett Pro Pointer (not the Carrot). The Merlin still works but will only detect a dime sized coin at about half an inch. Not waterproof, didn't come with a sheath, so I made my own from heavy leather. I still keep it in the trunk with other detecting gear, in case I lose or break the Garrett.

OK, OK... let the laughing begin. :roll:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom