Fisher F75SE Boosted Depth

DIRT DOBBER

Forum Supporter
So, you fellas who don't swing an F75SE please don't take this post as one of those "my detector is much better than the thing you're swinging" type posts. But let me start out by saying, my detector is so much better than the thing you're swinging. Ok, introductions are out of the way.

Yesterday it rained all day and I spent the first half of the day looking out the window and grumbling to myself. Around noon I read a thread on some other forum that discussed air testing VLF detectors and someone metioned how by comparing the relative air tests of older detectors to their ground penetrating capabilities vs. the newer detectors and their airtest and actual depth you find a correlation and an actual test reason to airtest for depth. Myself, never being one to airtest a detector for any reason beyond tone recognition and tonal variation (based on depth and other factors) on newly purchased detectors, I decided, what the hey. Let's airtest the F75SE for depth. Now, my other current unit is a Minelab Explorer SE PRO and as Minelab peeps know airtesting a Minelab FBS detector is pointless because soil sampling to establish 'ground balance', etc. is done continuously and by definition a FBS that has it's coil in the air is out of balance. So, with one unit to test I set up an airtest on the F75SE.

Here's what I found.

Sensitivity:60 (of 99)
Boost Process
Everything else was adjusted to find the best tones per target.

In this setting I got a solid response at 15" on a clad quarter. Not much more on a .50 Silver. 13" on a dime. 13" on a penny and strangely only 13" on a .58 Minieball. Running the sensitivity up to 99 I could achieve perhaps 1" more depth 'light response' on most coins but never more than 15 1/2".

Now, I live in Middle Tennessee and my soil here is average and I regularly dig 10"-12" inch minieball sized targets relic hunting in open fields with a 3" air gap and 8" and the occasional 10" coins so I figured it would airtest pretty well. But I must say I was stunned. Now, before you'all start on about how airtesting is pointless and has very little to do with actual depth in the field, I AGREE WITH YOU. However, I believe the last detector that I airtested picked up a quarter at perhaps 7" so obviously there is a major sensitivity/performance difference between that old 7" airtested detector and this latest airtest.

If some of you are tempted to call me out for whatever reason I could probably be convinced to do a video showing the results I achieved if necessary, but, unlike the joke I made in the beginning of this post, I didn't do this airtest nor did I publish my findings here to brag or anything else. I simply did it out of boredom and was very very suprised.

F75SE/LTD owners, are you finding similar results? Other models? I have no personal data to draw from to know if this is a extremely deep airtest or average on the current deep beepers as all my other deep detectors over the last few years have been FBS.

You don't have to convince me:D...Curious to know if this was in all metal or disc mode, and wonder what would be the results with sens set at 99 in boost mode...

Lol! I switched through all the modes in the test. I ran boost for all the depth numbers I listed at '60' sens. At '99' I got a slightly better signal but no more depth to minimum depth increase. All metal seemed to give me a more solid response at 15" on the quarter and got super strong much quicker than in disc when I moved the coin shallower, suggesting better depth (I run in all metal in the field), but it was still solid at 15" in disc. Now, when I raised the disc from '4' to '5' I lost a solid 2" on all targets. I didn't know the high gain mode of '4' disc and below and '19' (I think) and higher was that different. I wont be running '6' disc anymore I can tell you that.

Finally, a thread we can use! Well, at least for a few of us who are bucking the Minelab trend...Anyhow, I'm currently running in boost, in disc mode, sens at 99, disc at 0, and in 3 tone. I'm pulling silver dimes at 8-10 inches, in amongst garbage usually, and on a rainy day, have recovered 'em even deeper. You gotta not worry about a little mud and water, the md can take it...For some reason, areas I hunted running in all metal with those settings, I went back running in disc, and found silver I had missed the first time:?:. Seems to me I get equal depth in either mode, but I can pick out the goodies better in disc...what are you running for a setup when you are hunting?

Finally, a thread we can use! Well, at least for a few of us who are bucking the Minelab trend...Anyhow, I'm currently running in boost, in disc mode, sens at 99, disc at 0, and in 3 tone. I'm pulling silver dimes at 8-10 inches, in amongst garbage usually, and on a rainy day, have recovered 'em even deeper. You gotta not worry about a little mud and water, the md can take it...For some reason, areas I hunted running in all metal with those settings, I went back running in disc, and found silver I had missed the first time:?:. Seems to me I get equal depth in either mode, but I can pick out the goodies better in disc...what are you running for a setup when you are hunting?

I love the Minelabs for their unrivaled target info but I like to swing for 5-6 hours minimum at a pop and I can't swing one for that long. It actually caused my middle finger to start locking up on me. When I get up in the morning if I make a fist then open my hand my middle finger stays locked closed until my put a little extra pressure to open it. Not good.

Anyway, I run boost all the time, never take it out. On homesites and areas with more than one target every square yard or so I run 85-95 sens sometimes all the way open, disc 2-6, GB/+2, and 2f (I dig anything constistent over '20' and anything that jumps into the '60'+ more often than it is '20' or less). In pastures, woods, and open fields I switch to AM. I like the way AM picks up signals from outside the coil. Like you can hear it coming. Better for me for quick swinging and covering alot of empty ground.

I go out in the rain sometimes but it was a real gullywasher yesterday. Went today but didn't do much detecting. I'm checking a few tree covered hills around looking for CW camps (200+ acre properties). So more walking than swinging.

I use GB+3...I agree AM is the way to go in a quiet wide open area with few targets, but living in a urban area...those quiet spots are hard to find. There's always a plethora of targets where I hunt, so disc mode is the way to go 95% of the time...Today's rain was too much:roll:, but a steady gentle rain is doable.

Sounds nice. Except for the EMI, which I don't deal with at all. I wish I had more silver spots but I'll settle for relics and an occassional old silver....

I also run on Boost all the time. Sens 85-95, disc 0-5, I always fast grab GB then +3, I've tried 3 tones but always end up going back to 2.

Yesterday was the first time I tried the All Metal mode and I dug an Indian head, a flat button, and a 2 piece button using it. You really can cover a lot of ground quickly this way.

I swtched back and forth from Disc mode to all metal to check targets, and I did notice that there were a few signals that I could only pick up in Disc mode. Of course the targets weren't really good repeatable signals, but the AM mode tagged them as iron targets at a TID of 12.They both turned out to be good targets. One was a 4 hole underwear button at 8 inches and the other was half of a brass thimble and maybe 10 inches. There wasn't really a difference in depth that I could tell between the two modes.

I am with you guys. I do like the AM mode when I'm out in an open space with little trash and the targets are far apart and Disc mode everywhere else.

As far as air testing, I've never done it with my F75 SE. But sometimes I think my machine could go deeper. One buddy has a F75 LTD camo edition, and the other has the standard gold F75. Either, they both really know how to use their machines, or they just go deeper than mine. They always seem to dig deep. Or maye its that I usually dont dig it unless it sounds really good.

What do you guys that are using the same machine consider a good signal?

I also run on Boost all the time. Sens 85-95, disc 0-5, I always fast grab GB then +3, I've tried 3 tones but always end up going back to 2.

Yesterday was the first time I tried the All Metal mode and I dug an Indian head, a flat button, and a 2 piece button using it. You really can cover a lot of ground quickly this way.

I swtched back and forth from Disc mode to all metal to check targets, and I did notice that there were a few signals that I could only pick up in Disc mode. Of course the targets weren't really good repeatable signals, but the AM mode tagged them as iron targets at a TID of 12.They both turned out to be good targets. One was a 4 hole underwear button at 8 inches and the other was half of a brass thimble and maybe 10 inches. There wasn't really a difference in depth that I could tell between the two modes.

I am with you guys. I do like the AM mode when I'm out in an open space with little trash and the targets are far apart and Disc mode everywhere else.

As far as air testing, I've never done it with my F75 SE. But sometimes I think my machine could go deeper. One buddy has a F75 LTD camo edition, and the other has the standard gold F75. Either, they both really know how to use their machines, or they just go deeper than mine. They always seem to dig deep. Or maye its that I usually dont dig it unless it sounds really good.

What do you guys that are using the same machine consider a good signal?

Repeatable solids. Nonrepeatable solids. Repeatable nonsolids. Nonreapeating nonsolids. Wait.....Scratch that last one.

It's really hard to define a good signal because at absolute fringe depth no detector gives a good solid positive indication of the target's relative conductity. To try to answer your question I'd say a quiet deep target is easy to miss if you're focused on the zips (2f) as they are very short signals (coin sized/shaped targets) much like the pops and clicks you get running hot and if you're a fast swinger you can very very easily miss them. They will tend to go above 25 as often as they go below 11. Repeat at least once every third pass when sweeping with speed and checking in Disc and AM. OR it will be relatively repeatable at 12 or above. Remember on the F75 the tones and ID are isolated systems not connected in any way so they are not to be used added together and averaged in your mind like with other detectors but should be considered two modes and used like you are swinging two detectors over the same target. One may give positive target information while the other gives negative and only experience will allow you do determine the conditions that cause the negative in each system and allow a dig/no dig decision.

Personally I love finding creek sidewalls or hillsides where there are lots of deep (10"+) targets to practice. If you find a spot like that spend two to three trips digging the deepies and you'll have it down pat.

A good signal might only come through every 3rd or 4th swing over a target, maybe just a quick higher # flash on the screen or a blip of a high tone in the headphones. I've picked up real deep silvers by looking/listening for targets like this that were almost beyond detection range. Time in the field spent investigating and finding deep coins and remembering the sounds/vdi's encountered will train your ears/eyes to the point where you'll begin to find good targets that 'don't sound right' automatically. A trick I learned with investigating sketchy targets it to tilt the coil to the side when scanning the target, sometimes the good sound/# will be clearer or of longer duration...

The f75se is a great machine. Don't let the secret out ;). Captain silver is great for advice using this machine. Welcome to the "fellowship of the F75"

A good signal might only come through every 3rd or 4th swing over a target, maybe just a quick higher # flash on the screen or a blip of a high tone in the headphones. I've picked up real deep silvers by looking/listening for targets like this that were almost beyond detection range. Time in the field spent investigating and finding deep coins and remembering the sounds/vdi's encountered will train your ears/eyes to the point where you'll begin to find good targets that 'don't sound right' automatically. A trick I learned with investigating sketchy targets it to tilt the coil to the side when scanning the target, sometimes the good sound/# will be clearer or of longer duration...

Absolutely well said. I think this comment nails it.

maybe just a quick higher # flash on the screen or a blip of a high tone

I found retraining myself to recognize one when the other is not happening was a key to finding the really deep and/or deep partailly masked tagets w/ the 75.

Ah, I see. This makes a lot of sense. When I come across a target I rotate around to get a feel for what the numbers are saying and never pay attention to the audio responses. I ultimately let the id numbers make the decision whether or not to dig. For instance if I hit a target with an id of 65, then as i swing around it, if it changes to 62, 64, 67, 70, I will dig it. But if it drops to 12, 65, 23, 90, 06, 65, I probably won't bother digging. But still not paying attention to the sound of the target. I just assumed the TID #s and the audio signal worked together at telling me the same thing. I would be willing to bet that I've missed a ton of good targets. Now when I get a solid consistent response and dig it, it is usually never deeper than 8 inches. Maybe thats why I dont find the deep stuff, because I'm just looking for the solid targets. I will guarantee you guys that next time I go digging, I will listening and looking, and digging pretty much all the targets. I will keep you all posted on the new method. Thanks for the excellent advise guys. Happy hunting.

Ah, I see. This makes a lot of sense. When I come across a target I rotate around to get a feel for what the numbers are saying and never pay attention to the audio responses. I ultimately let the id numbers make the decision whether or not to dig. For instance if I hit a target with an id of 65, then as i swing around it, if it changes to 62, 64, 67, 70, I will dig it. But if it drops to 12, 65, 23, 90, 06, 65, I probably won't bother digging. But still not paying attention to the sound of the target. I just assumed the TID #s and the audio signal worked together at telling me the same thing. I would be willing to bet that I've missed a ton of good targets. Now when I get a solid consistent response and dig it, it is usually never deeper than 8 inches. Maybe thats why I dont find the deep stuff, because I'm just looking for the solid targets. I will guarantee you guys that next time I go digging, I will listening and looking, and digging pretty much all the targets. I will keep you all posted on the new method. Thanks for the excellent advise guys. Happy hunting.

Def keep us posted.

air test dont equal real world depth..plant a test garden and try the test 4 or 5 years later.i dont mean to be nasty.

Yes, we all accept that principle as being true and we all have and use test gardens I'm sure. The OP was a commentary about my thoughts on relative air test depth and my suprise at the airtest depth of the F75SE vs. the last detector I airtested for depth years ago.

WHAT I SAID IN THE OP:

before you'all start on about how airtesting is pointless and has very little to do with actual depth in the field, I AGREE WITH YOU.

I didn't see anything nasty about your comment. It may have been a tad hasty (I figured, in writing an 'airtest' post, that I ran the risk someone would skim the post, miss the disclaimer, and the point, and post the ol' "airtest depth doesn't equal real world depth" standard) but rest assured your comment didn't come across at all as nasty.

Give the OP another read.

Thanks for contributing. :grin:

Ok my brother just called me and told me to read this post, Thank you for being bored and starting this Dirt Dobber. I have been running my F75SE for a little over 3 weeks now and have been able to get out almost every day from a couple hours to 6-7 hours for the most part.

A question I have is this, I am using the F75SE everything is typically set to factory (Sensitivity 60, GB +3 in DE Mode with 3 tones) when I hunt except I will play with the disc some. I seem to constantly come across 4-6 or more targets on a hunt that will give me a high tone when I hit it and will show on the LCD high 60’S to low 70’s then I will walk around all 4 sides and my numbers can jump as high as 94-95 and back down to the 70’s. This target can also show a depth of 9-12 inches as well.

Would you dig this target ?

I have dug a few of these but only to never find the target. Now maybe I don’t dig deep enough cause it seems to me when I have pin pointed and if the target is reading 8”s I typically find it a couple inches short of that.

Another thing I can find when hunting is a target that will come in right away low 90’s and will pretty much stay 92-95, when I move off the target spot the numbers will drop some but never more than 10 digits or so. I always seem to have a real hard time pin pointing these high targets down and if I move a foot away and come back it will still come in all the same but I just can’t never hit that sweet spot and pin pointing will show it 10+ inches down.

I have played with power boost and all the setting to try and get a stronger single but 99% it really does not change it. Also the chatter or emi can be low to none on some of the areas I am in when targets like these come across but the grounds are target rich from clad to iron. One area we pulled a Barber dime 6-7”s down, well my brother did anyway.

Just wanted to know what others thought

Sounds like your coil's over some big junk. Me, I'd keep it moving, nothing to dig there...The most I see for depth is usually 7-8 inches on the screen, even though the coin's at 10-11 inches. Every time I see a depth reading of 9 or more inches on the screen, it's been big garbage. The sterling silver wallet I dug last year read at 8 inches, but was about a foot down, and gave very repeatable and consistent mid to high 90's vdi's. Here's my suggestions...Concentrate on digging repeatables for now, look for very small changes in vdi's on a 4 way pass, if it stays consistent, dig it. Remember what you see, hear and find...Slowly boost the sensitivity and decrease the discrimination as you get more hunts in and get comfortable with what you're hearing and seeing, don't swing for the fence yet....Good luck and happy hunting.

I had the F75 LTD and I was amazed at the air test results myself. It is a very powerful detector. You mentioned that you also have an Explorer. You seem to have the best of both worlds. The Minelab for mineralized soil and the F75 for more neutral dirt. The F75 is a detector that is easy to swing all day. The down side to me was the noise. I never learned to deal with the chatter and ended up trading it. I wish you many great hunts with it.

Back
Top Bottom