Who here has mastered whisper signals?

Nortonics

Elite Member
Or sometimes referred to as ghost signals? Maybe "mastered" is a little too descriptive, but you know what I mean...

Tell us what we need to know to make good use of this ability too. Also, what headphones are you using?

I use a Fisher with no read out, just sounds, so the whispers are easy to hear for me. If you put a detector on the table, turn it on and take a coin and pass it over the coil - moving away as you continue to pass - it will eventually make a whisper. These are the sounds I look for. Nothing quite like digging way down in the dirt and pull up an oldie after hearing a whisper. Steve in so az

I use a Fisher with no read out, just sounds, so the whispers are easy to hear for me. If you put a detector on the table, turn it on and take a coin and pass it over the coil - moving away as you continue to pass - it will eventually make a whisper. These are the sounds I look for. Nothing quite like digging way down in the dirt and pull up an oldie after hearing a whisper. Steve in so az

I might try that one day-Just cover up my display and go at it, Just to see what all I've been missing by relying on my display to much...I have also dug those faint sounding signals that ended up being a piece of foil in the plug-I always check my plug on those types of signals, I figure if it isn't in the plug or the first couple scoops of dirt then its the real deal (a deep target)

I think the term "whisper" can mean different things to different people.

I have heard the whisper but only on rare occasions. Only when the ground is quite do I hear a whisper on a deep signal. More often that deep signal is a broken sound rather than a whisper.

You need the right machine. Some are modulated some are not. Your Fisher gives you the choice.

And your right concerning the headphones. If you have a range of machines you will need a few pairs. With CZ's I found the old creamy/white Pro Phones to be best. They then "improved" them. Re styled and coloured them black. They turned them into poor performing headclamps.
Killer B's are good, also Mole Super Phones. Grey Ghosts O.K. but don't use the audio windowing feature.
Some peoples hearing is not great. Use a signal booster and set it so it doesn't boost but sharpens up the whisper and you get the extra depth.

I might try that one day-Just cover up my display and go at it, Just to see what all I've been missing by relying on my display to much...

I think a lot of people rely on displays too much. That's why I've now gone away from that type of machine.
When I found my "Indian" cent last year, that was a barely audible signal but I dug it anyway. Before I dug it, I got someone to check it with his EXPII, he had no display or signal at all.

Before I dug it, I got someone to check it with his EXPII, he had no display or signal at all.

There are many, many reasons this could be. Least of which are how each detector was set up for hunting those specific ground conditions. I always find it interesting when I hear that detector one picked it up but detector 2 didn't. I've run into that personally in the field and, within limitations, have found that this can be overcome by tweaking the settings on detector #2. True that there are differences in machines abilities, but 95% of the time they don't come into play.

What about the people that rely on the sound and the display both? Having no display removes the opportunity, not the necessity, of having extra information. This information isn't only the VDI reading, but depth, ground conditions, ground tracking effectiveness, etc. I think saying that you rely on the display too much is like saying you rely on the screen too much when at a movie theatre. Sure, you can hear whats going on but your missing the "big picture"

The XLT has the ability to turn off modulation. That means that whatever the signal, no matter how deep or weak makes the same volume sound as a shallow easy to read target. Having modulation turned on makes the weak signals sound weak. Why on earth would you do that? Why would you subject yourself to the possibility of missing a sound?

There are many, many reasons this could be. Least of which are how each detector was set up for hunting those specific ground conditions.

I agree, it's rare to get two machines set up the same way. I remember when the EXP I first came out. Two members of our club used them when they came out on club digs. One used to find a lot, the other not too much at all.
It was probably due to set-up, and user technique.

I was really trying to emphasize how misleading it can be to rely on the display rather than the sound. Although in the case I quoted, the other person got neither. There could have been many reasons. ;)

For many years I relied on sound as the only information my detector could give me. I did learn to be very good at interpreting this only form of information, but having also learned to add visual information as well, my ability to determine good from bad has also increased. I'm sure some people do rely too much on the display, but probably no more than rely too much on discrimination. It's all in how you use it.

With my older detectors I did get a lot more whispers than I do now, but I think that was due to the depth limitations of the older detectors. Most of the coins I dug around 6" were little more than whispers. That same 6" coin on my detector now is a solid sound and ID. The whispers I get now are on coins in the 9-10" depth. Not a whole lot of those around so my whispers are few and far between.

This is starting to sound like a "ford" or "chevy" is best discussion :) The man behind the machine has a whole lot to do with it also. And dont you think the ultimate answer is the shovel ? Steve in so az

Steve "Understands" the whispers

...............to me "whispers", are faint, barely audible sounds heard ever so briefly. Did I hear that? I usually re-scan that area from 2 different angles to TRY to ascertain IF I really did hear something "odd". If I dig or not "just depends" on a gut feeling, the VDI, and IF by cranking on the gain I can garner a better signal or not! Too, I use the depth as a dig/no dig function. If it is 3"s or farther down, I'm digging. Also if I can PIN a # on the VDI and the audible is VERY repeatable from different angles, AFTER cranking the gain, I dig! Digging it is the "Proof in the Puddin". I am still a neophyte in the hobby, just 5 months of MDing. I am amazed at the finds some of you folks make, honestly I am quite impressed. Do I "Understand the Whispers"? I don't know for sure. I definitely listen to what my machine is trying to tell me and I verify that by "DIGGING" a bunch of non productive trash, but I bank that info and leave more signals undug each time out. I guess the main thing is to WORK at this game and PROVE to yourself what you thought you heard and how it REALLY compares to what you dug! Sorry to ramble, you just have to spend a lot of time w/your machine to really know it! Thanks for ALL the help I have received from so many of you folks by getting me going when I started out MDing. HH........... Jan

All very interesting.

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

To me wisper signals are no magic pill.

There are lots of sounds that are generated.

There are clicks and pops and bright and loud

and quite and broken & loud or quite.

I mean, It Just Goes On and On and On.

Wisper signals are quieter signals. May be deep.

May not be deep.

Most of the quieter signals are trash, of course.

But it's a matter of hearing tha faint differences

to tell if a noise is a possible good target or not.

In short, it's just good old MD'in and it takes,,,,,

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Then your finds will start getting deeper and you

will become more persistant because that's what

it takes to hear wisper signals anyway...............

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Just an example this was nothing more than a whisper after spending about 5-minutes pinpointing it and going around the signal from different directions and getting about the same readings & very slight audio from all sides I finally decided to dig, So I cut a horseshoe plug & folded it back then ran my detector over the plug "nothing there", I then ran my detector over the hole & could still hear that faint signal, So I started digging after about 5-6 inch's & still nothing in my pile of dirt I pulled out my pin pointer & checked the hole "nothing" I knew I had to be getting close so I ran my detector over the hole again and got a loud solid dime signal, So then I kept digging and pulling out hand fulls of dirt & passing each hand full over my coil-finally at around 8-10 inch's I got a signal in my hand It was this little Silver & Gold pin. But I would have to say probably 80% of these types of signals I dig end up being small shallow junk in the plug. But Ya just never know till you dig it.

pin1.jpg

pin2.jpg

Or sometimes referred to as ghost signals? Maybe "mastered" is a little too descriptive, but you know what I mean...

Tell us what we need to know to make good use of this ability too. Also, what headphones are you using?

For me using a PI water hunting a whisper can be either a slight break in the threshold or pause or a true whisper... usually these whisper signals are good finds... my last two produced a platinum ring at 18 plus inches and my 1892 wedding band at around 20 inches...

I don't think I will ever be a master at anything but I have found that with my Minelabs if I go slow and listen to every signal I can find deeper targets.

For me using a PI water hunting a whisper can be either a slight break in the threshold or pause or a true whisper... usually these whisper signals are good finds... my last two produced a platinum ring at 18 plus inches and my 1892 wedding band at around 20 inches...

WOW :shock: 18 to 20 inch's is that different in sand then dirt or can you just go deeper in sand

Back
Top Bottom