Auger for digging in frozen cornfields?

IllinoisDigger

I don't know if this would work, but it's an idea I came up with today. I wouldn't mind spending the $250 for one. Would it harm the field? I would of course try and fill the hole when done retrieving the coin. Any thoughts?

Your better off using a pick axe. Like Stinger said, you'll prolly damage your target. The best spots to hunt with frozen ground is under large pine trees in parks. The decomposing needles will not retain moisture well in the fall and usually do not freeze. Shovel out 3ft or so around the base and have at it. Ive had spots that are soft 8" down and usually are full of tabs. Eventually you'll get something good. Just remember to fill your holes and kick the snow around so it doesn't look so disturbed. Keeps the fussy pedestrians happy and out of your hair. GL and HH

Sounds like a great idea. While you're at it, you should see if buzz can make you a bomb sheath to carry that auger around in. :laughing:

Seriously that's the worst idea I've ever heard on here.

This should work. Shouldn't need to worry about pin pointing.

Attachments

• post hole auger.JPG
    post hole auger.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 483
Wow that's wild you may find two guys with straight jackets waiting for you when you return to your car!

Oh yeah, this sounds like a great idea!:roll::roll::roll: If you do this PLEASE make a video. Your guaranteed to make it onto Tosh.0. I have a feeling the blade with just grab the ground and send you for a ride. But I could be wrong.;)

Oh yeah, this sounds like a great idea!:roll::roll::roll: If you do this PLEASE make a video. Your guaranteed to make it onto Tosh.0. I have a feeling the blade with just grab the ground and send you for a ride. But I could be wrong.;)

lol I love tosh.0

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

lol I love tosh.0

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I once saw a guy get knocked out cold when he got hit by a 'whirly' machine for smoothing concrete. Not sure what the machine is called but I know he wasn't familiar with operating it.:lol: He looked like he just got done fighting Mike Tyson!:laughing:

Wow that's wild you may find two guys with straight jackets waiting for you when you return to your car!

I'll probably just wait, or buy a pickaxe until it warms up. But I did happen to see someone digging in a field (he may or may not have been out there MDing) with one of those used for ice fishing. So that's where I came up with the "crazy" idea from. It will also probably damage the target, as mentioned above, or whatever is in the ground. I'm just trying to get the most out of my $1250 investment in the etrac.

Your time would be better spent doing research and trying to get permission for sites come spring. I feel your pain though. Right now I am detectorless and hating it even though I know there is no way I could get out and swing right now anyway.

If you can't wait for the thaw, Try detecting the snow on sledding hills

Yes! I have been thinking about that as of late. We pass this steep hill that belongs to the Park District around here. I always see people sledding there. You would think someone would lose a ring or two. Probably lots of clad. I have been doing tons of research for the Spring on good places to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom