On your knees.......

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
One knee, or 2? I've used 1 for years ('cause that's all I can :p).

For the longest time, I've laid my 'tector across the top of my foot (toes pointed in air). I've seen people who use/build stands, but try using your foot. I'm generally not on my knee more than a minute, so I don't think I've developed some sort of weird contortion mode, not uncomfortable for me at all.

I do a form of 'Wide Legged Stoop'...Like a giraffe taking a drink, and seldom drop down to one knee and never two...Its very fast and comfortable to do the wide legged stoop, knees flexed, forearms braced just above the knee on the thighs...You have the weight of your upper body to perform the retrieve, very balanced and stable and comfortable and especially fast...

I do a form of 'Wide Legged Stoop'...Like a giraffe taking a drink, and seldom drop down to one knee and never two...Its very fast and comfortable to do the wide legged stoop, knees flexed, forearms braced just above the knee on the thighs...You have the weight of your upper body to perform the retrieve, very balanced and stable and comfortable and especially fast...

So you just lay your 'tector down? I couldn't take stooping-over like that, and I ain't even got "dunlap disease" :lol:

One knee for shallow targets, two for deeper targets. I feel it's easier to dig plugs, especially in hard ground, when you're on two knees

Every pair of pants I have ends up with a worn out right knee !

Definitely this. Haha! I used to wear a knee pad on my right knee, but for whatever reason I stopped. Now it's whatever happens - happens. If I find myself struggling with roots, it's a two knee effort.

I squat like a MLB catcher or like someone taking a dump in the woods. In fact, just the other day I was squatting while detecting on the fringe of some woods at a park and a nice Hispanic family walking by was staring at me with very concerned looks on their faces. I quickly popped up, smiled and started swinging my detector so there was no confusion. Then I ran over and showed them a wheat penny I found.

Now if I get a signal and see silver in the hole - all bets are off. I switch from "squat mode" to "headfirst slide mode."

2 knees with knee pads.

On the woods hunts the pants and (especially) the knees would take beating.

Kneeling in deer poop it's good either. :D

I kneel on the right knee. Makes it easy to dig and shove the dirt over to the inside of my left shoe beside the plug without it going past. Plus if you need leverage to dig deeper, it's there already.

Usually right knee only when it is wet, both knees when dry. I should note this is in fields where I hunt most. In a park I strictly use one knee so I can get up and run in case of thugs or angry dogs!:lol:

One knee, or 2? I've used 1 for years ('cause that's all I can :p).

For the longest time, I've laid my 'tector across the top of my foot (toes pointed in air). I've seen people who use/build stands, but try using your foot. I'm generally not on my knee more than a minute, so I don't think I've developed some sort of weird contortion mode, not uncomfortable for me at all.

I put my detector on my right hip, or my right knee (my left knee is on the dirt). Like you, I'm a one knee kneeler.

I'm multi talented. Since I dropped 30 of my extra used to smoke but traded cigs for food lbs over the past 6 months I can actually get a target without kneeling :laughing:

If I'm using the sampson in an open site I don't normally kneel. I just cut the plug, lean down and pluck the bounty from it. If I'm using the Lesche digger, then yeah, either one knee or two depending on a) how deep the thing is and b) how hard the ground is.

I use two knee pads because of the rocks and stickers around. It also keeps my knees dry from muddy and wet areas. I buy cheap knee pads made for skate boarders at local thrift stores. I just lay my detector down and half of the time it falls over but in almost forty years it hasn't hurt one yet.

I guess I'm the oddball lefty, It's my left knee that gets worn out. Also a one kneer. Unless the ground is hard as a rock then I take full advantage of the back end and just plunk it down on the ground.

I guess I'm the oddball lefty, It's my left knee that gets worn out. Also a one kneer. Unless the ground is hard as a rock then I take full advantage of the back end and just plunk it down on the ground.

Lefty here, too. I think it's easier to drop to the left knee when you're right handed.. Keeps the equipment more manageable.

I couldn't do the "over the hip" thing, seems like it would be in the way. Ditto with field hunts, I don't even wear one then, though keep one on my backpack. Since I can only bend my right knee about 90 degrees (so I'm a left-kneeler too), laying it on the ground is also isn't handy to grab. If it's wet or ground conditions are cluttered (crop stubble for instance), then I generally won't set it on the ground.

First use Sampson or Piranha to dig and scoop plug then try to extract while bending and if that does not work I drop to left knee, both if hole ends up being deep.
:digginahole:

I try to drop to both knees as much as possible to prevent asymmetric muscle growth (or atrophy, as I get older! :laughing: ), as well as prevent muscle strain. And I try to remember to take care when getting up, these days!

When you're not blessed with brains or beauty, you maximize what you can!

I have to kneel due to having had back surgery many years ago. Just can not take bending over multiple times.
One knee most of the time. But depending on depth I my be on both. I had a bad habit of putting my left heel under my rump and sitting on it.

Got up one morning and my big tow had a large bister and was almost black. I was cutting off circulation of my toes Not good for an old diabetic

Back
Top Bottom