Coke bottle - Real or Repro

Beyonder123

I bought these for $1 each at an antique store. Does anyone know if these are real or reproductions?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

They are real. They are also 1960s era. The fact that they have the wear band around the sides shows that they are deposit bottles and have been returned, cleaned and filled many times by the Coca-Cola bottlers. They started these ACL (painted logo) bottles about 1959-60. Before that they were embossed (1916-1959). The easiest way to tell the new ones are that most of 'em were No Deposit-No Return, thinner, lighter weight glass, have concave bottoms and many have those barcodes on them. And, yes, many new ones have cities on the bottoms for nostalgia's sake. That carton says Coke Classic so it's from the mid-80s at least.

They are real. They are also 1960s era. The fact that they have the wear band around the sides shows that they are deposit bottles and have been returned, cleaned and filled many times by the Coca-Cola bottlers. They started these ACL (painted logo) bottles about 1959-60. Before that they were embossed (1916-1959). The easiest way to tell the new ones are that most of 'em were No Deposit-No Return, thinner, lighter weight glass, have concave bottoms and many have those barcodes on them. And, yes, many new ones have cities on the bottoms for nostalgia's sake. That carton says Coke Classic so it's from the mid-80s at least.

So if I'm understanding correctly these bottles were manufactured in the 60's, but were re used until the 80's?

Yes. Returnable soda bottles were filled and refilled over and over, as you can see by the wear bands on your bottles. You got 2 cents (more in some places) upon returning them to the store. They would go back to the bottler, cleaned and refilled many times. That's what causes the wear on the sides of the bottles. There were NDNR (No Deposit-No Return) bottles beginning mainly in the 60s that started out as kind of an experiment that eventually became the norm. Soda in cans took off in the 60s as well, but were around earlier.

BTW, when I was about 13, I would go to the stores and "assemble" a carton's worth of the older style embossed bottles (painted ones were quickly becoming standard by then) and drink the pop and then NOT take them back to the store. I started what would become a good sized collection back then, well before anyone else was doing that. I guess I was ahead of my time. :lol:

In the early eighties I would pick out 7up bottles with the bathing suit lady
on it from a six pack because they are collectable oldies.

Back
Top Bottom