Paul Revere Insurance key fob

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Thought it was a dog tag at first but it is better.
Lots of these on fleabay, some under $5 and others going up to $20-$30.
The company started in 1930 so I assume they started handing these out to their customers around then.
On a few of what I assume are the older ones with ID numbers below 1,000,000 they say " If injured or unable to identify me telegraph this number to the Paul Revere life insurance company".
After they just say notify the company like mine.
I assume the mid 30's to 40's or so, a bit bigger than a quarter at 28mm and some sort of white metal, comes in at a 40-41 tabs on my Fisher so it could be nickel or pewter.
Came in at a 41 on my Fisher which is higher than my 30's nickel numbers but it is way bigger than a nickel too.
Way better than the aluminum key fobs most of us find.

Pics below my worn one is what a better less worn specimen looks like.
Mine could have better details but I have to clean off that thick dirt layer to find out.

Got this out of a lawn I have been hitting all summer, this time with the Red Racer on all metal and the bigger coil.
I have found a lot in this lawn but no good anything has come out of this place for awhile, every once in awhile I hit it again just to see if something cool might pop up and this time something did.
No site is ever hunted out...even by me.

Attachments

• photostudio_1505669662277_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1505669662277_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 814
  • photostudio_1505669711456_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1505669711456_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 743
  • 643134230_tp.jpg
    643134230_tp.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 648
  • photostudio_1505735495571.jpg
    photostudio_1505735495571.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
Congrats on the cool fob. I love fobs.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Thank you.
From searching I believe they made this thing in aluminum and also brass/bronze over the years.
Mine seems to be more like nickel, a white metal at bigger than normal nickel numbers and hard to clean like old nickels.
If it is I think that is neat.

Supposedly a nickel testing kit is composed of a solution of 1% dimethylglyoxime and 10% ammonium hydroxide.
If I was still in high school in chemistry class I bet I could have mixed that up easy enough but I have a history with ammonium hydroxide.
Back in high school we were doing Mole problems and I was supposed to mix up a substance to make one mole...I picked ammonium salt.
Mix ammonium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid.
I forgot to read the part about doing this under a venting hood.
I opened both beakers and a small white cloud formed in the air about a foot over the space between them and I thought neat.
When I combined them a thicker, dense white cloud immediately enveloped the whole room and went through the open door and pretty much spread throughout the whole wing of the school.
Inside the classroom you couldn't see your hand if you held it one foot in front of your face.
The room went deadly quiet for a few seconds and out of the mist I heard the chemistry teacher scream my name...he knew exactly who did it.

Maybe I will just buy a nickel testing kit one day.

Last edited:
Very nice find. Always enjoy finding those fobs. Some of them have very interesting stories and where they originated from.

Back
Top Bottom