Best surface finds?

Arrowheads

Found lots of arrowheads in plowed bean fields down near Cahokia, Illinois. Most were just lying on the surface or with one end pointing out.

Hunting around an old mill once. Got a screaming hit, brushed away the leaves and there was a brand new mag light. Best and weirdest part was, I walked about three feet and there was a second one. Brand new, same color. I guess somebody was trying to make it even for all those mag lights I've lost.

Best surface find was a platinum ring just laying there. Zero skill ringing that one. Sometimes your just in the right place at the right time

Went detecting with my nephew and stopped at a McDonalds for a burger during a rain shower. In the parking lot was a pile of damp leaves in the curb corner with what appeared to be the edge of a dollar bill sticking out. Turned out to be two $5s and a $20! Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch!

How could I forget!

I'm not sure how I failed to remember this one in my first post. But I found this Yamaha Outboard motor on the side of the road. Someone had clearly lost it off the back of their boat. I turned it in to the local PD and after 90 days it was mine. Sold it for $575! :laughing:

Attachments

• OB motor.jpg
    OB motor.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 84
Idk why, but I always watch the coil when I detect, I guess it's just a habit. For you it payed off! :)

I always do that, too; I think it's because I don't want to miss a spot with the coil. :shrug:

As far as best surface finds... $20 bill near Aldi's parking lot. Wasn't detecting, though. :)

I've made some amazing surface finds over the last 40 years so it's hard to pick a best. I'm a great fan of finding gold. Just something about pulling a piece of gold out of the ground that makes me smile. I know how the prospector's of the gold rush days must have felt.

Anyway, one of my best surface finds was also in a tot lot. Got a quick hit on my AT Pro and looked down to see this huge gold chain with a big pendent on it. It's the second chain and pendent in the picture below. I just couldn't imagine how some could drop such a large amount of gold and not notice.

This picture was from my hay days of tot lot hunting. Around 2010 when I first started hitting tot lots for the first time. This was just 3 months of hunting. Did this for several years before my tot lots stopped giving so much.

frstqtrgold.jpg

Back
Top Bottom