Seeking Permission Here

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
Nothing is solid yet, but I'm working on permission to an old church that is owned by an individual now.

Wish me luck...

I'm about to call him and I'm nervous...lol

Last edited:
Hey ND try going inside ! Run like hell if the walls start shaking :lol:
Ricki7

Nah I won't go inside lol

Last church like this I asked at I didn't find anything worth finding but only had a couple months detecting experience then. Wish I could go back there with the ATP and see what the old Fisher F2 missed hahah

BAMM PERMISSION GRANTED!

That was soo much easier than I thought! Oh man I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas right now.

If anyone is reading this and would like a few links to some "permission" articles that can help you know what to do and what not to do when asking permission, shoot me a PM.:D

Not saying that info helped me in this instance (it probably did) but this guy seemed super nice and it was actually very easy.

OH WOW!!! I just got an email from the guys who gave me permissions daughter. She says that up the road is an old general store, that's collapsed but that is also her dads land. She says it was her grandfathers store and that I might find something there as well. She said he ran that store back when bootleggers would make their runs through that town as they were hiding from the law. Lots of history there, no telling what you may find.

Funny enough, I saw the building in question, and wished I could detect it... I am taking her email as permission, and will verify with her father when I meet him this weekend.

This town had abt 2000 settlers in 1880s, and now is a ghost town of about 70 people.

Seems I got permission to two of the most promising spots in the entire town. I am stoked, and (sorry if this offends people when I say this) I plan to detect rain or shine with my AT Pro which is one of the main reasons I bought it to begin with.

Anyway, I am super excited about these spots, as I was running out of places close to home to go. :)

Sounds great! Keep us posted and good luck finding the old stuff!

:)

Will for sure and share some pics of the spots... after I pillage them of course. I want to show it so badly, but I dont want someone else swoopin in before I get to hit it. :lol:

OH WOW!!! I just got an email from the guys who gave me permissions daughter. She says that up the road is an old general store, that's collapsed but that is also her dads land. She says it was her grandfathers store and that I might find something there as well. She said he ran that store back when bootleggers would make their runs through that town as they were hiding from the law. Lots of history there, no telling what you may find.

Funny enough, I saw the building in question, and wished I could detect it... I am taking her email as permission, and will verify with her father when I meet him this weekend.

This town had abt 2000 settlers in 1880s, and now is a ghost town of about 70 people.

Seems I got permission to two of the most promising spots in the entire town. I am stoked, and (sorry if this offends people when I say this) I plan to detect rain or shine with my AT Pro which is one of the main reasons I bought it to begin with.

Anyway, I am super excited about these spots, as I was running out of places close to home to go. :)

I found my small towns old general store from the early 1900's. I can see the old foundation and all. sadly the owner in not interested in having someone on his land :(

Ugggg why the At Pro comment? :p

HH and best of luck, cant wait to see the finds.

I found my small towns old general store from the early 1900's. I can see the old foundation and all. sadly the owner in not interested in having someone on his land :(

Ugggg why the At Pro comment? :p

HH and best of luck, cant wait to see the finds.

I just don't want to upset anyone. :p

Yeah there's an 1800s hotel . House . General store. Post office and its falling to the ground and the guy wont let me or anyone on the property.

Hoping that when the city condemns it n tears it down that I can hit it then.

Makes you wonder why some are si worried about you hitting a ruins of a house ir a foundation

It's been never for me. Lol.

Give it time bud. I've seen a half dozen spots down there in Smyrna I'd try. Couple things to keep in mind for that area. It was and to some degree still is a farming community. I've come to learn that farmers just didn't carry around a lot of coinage. That being said, Smyrna was 'TOWN" it was where people went to buy. Do your research. Old schools, old church's, picnic groves (they were big on that), old taverns, feed stores etc. Look around those ponds that have been there forever, they were put in there to drive mills. Money changed hands there constantly. People waiting to "pick up or drop off' their stuff would sit around the cool pond. Good luck.

Give it time bud. I've seen a half dozen spots down there in Smyrna I'd try. Couple things to keep in mind for that area. It was and to some degree still is a farming community. I've come to learn that farmers just didn't carry around a lot of coinage. That being said, Smyrna was 'TOWN" it was where people went to buy. Do your research. Old schools, old church's, picnic groves (they were big on that), old taverns, feed stores etc. Look around those ponds that have been there forever, they were put in there to drive mills. Money changed hands there constantly. People waiting to "pick up or drop off' their stuff would sit around the cool pond. Good luck.

Good tips. I have found most of my silver at old picnic grounds, fields where festivals are held, churches, snack bars, schools etc.

Old homesites in the ozarks haven't produced very much silver. I think a combination of living in hard times, or possibly being beaten to the punch by old timer detectorists, but here in my area old homesites haven't given many silvers in the last 5 years.

I had to rethink my strategy. I learned that the areas I was detecting were TOO old. As in, poor ozark families from late 1800s-1930s that just had enough to survive and not much to lose

What did I do differently? I decided that I was detecting areas too old. Since I started detecting spots from 1940-1970 or so my silver count quadrupled.

Thanks for the input. I have to work on permissions. There's real old houses in town that may be good. I would also like to find some nice relics that I could loan to the Smyrna historical museum.

ND just gave ya a gem. Where did Smyrna have it's local fair? I'm a firm believer in research, there's no substitute. Where was the early post office? How long has Smyrna been there? I think a long time. Try historic maps. Google the history of that county, you'd be surprised. I'd bet Smyrna was a regular stop on the way from Lewes to Wilmington. That means the strong possibility of early coppers or the holy grail......Spanish Silver. I'll also bet that grainy soil you have down there is kind to old copper.

Nectar, I'd like to see those "permission" links you were talking about. Maybe you could post them on here so others could see as well.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you got yourself a couple of real promissing sites coming on line.
As far as permissions, people are funny, and all are different, no point "remembering lines" because some people are just NOT going to give you permission. Some will give permission with conditions, like "I want to see what you find", or "you only have permission for today" (that's happened to me a couple of times), and then there are those who will give "unconditional" permission, and don't even care what you find.

To those who won't give permission, they need respect too, when you think about it, what incentive is there for anyone to do so ? pretty much none to let strangers on your land, dig holes all over the place, and they will most likely keep everything they find, certainly that is how it seems, just read the forums, who mentions what they gave the owner....few, and far between.

Anyway. You "should" do well esp. at the store site, and I hope you do.

Also I hear you on "running out of places near me" After 8 years myself I have used up most of the places I can think of in a few miles radius.

Rick

Hay Nectar I also have a church that is a historic land mark at the end of my street. I got a flat out no on detecting the grounds. The youngest church member is in there late sixties. The church dates back to the 1820s. The membership totals 16 people. With a part time minister. And the place has not ever been detected. Just holding out for the right time to ask once more. I wish you a lot of luck in your hunt. And am waiting on your finds post.

Nectar... I hear you not finding much in the rural farming areas. I live in north wesr corner of Tennessee and it is the same here. It seems as though most of the people only had any hard money once a year ( when the crops were sold ) , so there wasn't much to lose. Most of the time if they had to go to town, they traded for what they needed.

Back
Top Bottom