No-Go on the Fenced Local Sport Field Sites...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I caught the head coach this weekend doing some lawn maintenance at the local football field at the school in our little town and got to have a chat with him...

To be real clear, I didn't ask to hunt on the playing fields!

Everyone has their own opinions on this but I personally just don't want to do that myself.

I asked about the possibility of just hunting the peripheral non-playing areas. He nixed it, but I wasn't surprised since the place is fenced and gated and locked down tight, and the other fenced baseball fields are the same.

He talked quite a bit about how hard they work to keep the grass nice on these fields and the whole area contained in the fencing, and I couldn't argue with him, it was lush, green, and beautiful. It's just about the prettiest grass field in town and I finally got to go in and see it up close. I had to admire it, I wish my lawn looked half as good... It's pretty clear he works real hard to keep it that way.

As it turns out though, he had once dabbled some in detecting himself, said he had an old Whites, but hadn't done any detecting in years. He was worried about even nicely cut plugs leaving the grass even temporarily yellowed, which is understandable.... I mean that field was visual perfection, not a weed or bare spot or flaw to be seen. I suppose if my lawn was that perfect I'd be a little miffed if anyone poked a hole in it too...

And he was very nice about it all, even though it wasn't the answer I had been kind of hoping for...

So... I thanked him for his time and the tour, and I gave him one of my hobby cards and let him know if anyone lost anything on any of their fields, I'd be happy to come out and try to locate it for them.

After that he did throw me a bone of sorts... he gave me "full permission" to hunt anywhere on school grounds outside of the fences... kind of funny since I have hunted the schools before and haven't had any trouble with it, but I guess it is nice to know it's "officially sanctioned" now anyway... :roll:

If the fields are in that good of shape it sounds like he take alot of pride in taking care of them and would respect that. Could always ask about the offseason when it's not being used. May get a different answer at that time.

If the fields are in that good of shape it sounds like he take alot of pride in taking care of them and would respect that. Could always ask about the offseason when it's not being used. May get a different answer at that time.

Oh, I have the greatest respect for this guy, it's very clear he puts his heart & soul into keeping the grounds beautiful! And no, I won't ask him again, it is the off season for football now isn't it? After seeing how nice it is I understand why he said no, and if I had worked that hard on it I'd say no to me too :lol:
It was nice to meet and talk to him though, and kind of get the perspective from his side of things. :yes:

Oh, I have the greatest respect for this guy, it's very clear he puts his heart & soul into keeping the grounds beautiful! And no, I won't ask him again, it is the off season for football now isn't it? After seeing how nice it is I understand why he said no, and if I had worked that hard on it I'd say no to me too :lol:
It was nice to meet and talk to him though, and kind of get the perspective from his side of things. :yes:

Good for you. Our fields don't look that good, but I personally have over 10 hours in with a few other guys to make them look as good as possible for tomorrows opening day. I wish more would think the way you do.

On a side note..... We have a removable snow fence, the kind that slides into sleeves left in year round. Last year we had the idea of putting pennies in them to make the holes easier to find after the winter..... I guess someone out detecting needed the 25 cents worth of pennies more. That's how fields get posted......

Good for you. Our fields don't look that good, but I personally have over 10 hours in with a few other guys to make them look as good as possible for tomorrows opening day. I wish more would think the way you do.

On a side note..... We have a removable snow fence, the kind that slides into sleeves left in year round. Last year we had the idea of putting pennies in them to make the holes easier to find after the winter..... I guess someone out detecting needed the 25 cents worth of pennies more. That's how fields get posted......

Oh no! That's pitiful! I wonder if it occurred to them that all their holes were in a straight line and had sleeves in them for a reason... :?:

Oh no! That's pitiful! I wonder if it occurred to them that all their holes were in a straight line and had sleeves in them for a reason... :?:

I don't know. They're not in a straight line as the fence curves to maintain the 200 ft distance all the way around. I doubt they even noticed that, but you would have thought they'd scratch their head as to why there were pennies inside a black tube, in the middle of the outfield???:?::?:

I've been very vocal in my thoughts on hunting sports fields, this only reassures them for me. There are plenty of areas to MD, sports fields shouldn't be one of them. We know enough to stay out of commentaries, now lets use the same sense of for athletic fields.

I don't know. They're not in a straight line as the fence curves to maintain the 200 ft distance all the way around. I doubt they even noticed that, but you would have thought they'd scratch their head as to why there were pennies inside a black tube, in the middle of the outfield???:?::?:

I've been very vocal in my thoughts on hunting sports fields, this only reassures them for me. There are plenty of areas to MD, sports fields shouldn't be one of them. We know enough to stay out of commentaries, now lets use the same sense of for athletic fields.

I will tell you what I will quit hunting playing fields as soon as they start burying people in em ..

I will tell you what I will quit hunting playing fields as soon as they start burying people in em ..

Spends some time manicuring one, let me know then how passionate you are about digging plugs at that point. Do you think it's cool that some <<EDIT>> made my job harder by pulling out all the pennies we planted just to make doing our vol. job easier.

Spends some time manicuring one, let me know then how passionate you are about digging plugs at that point. Do you think it's cool that some <<EDIT>> made my job harder by pulling out all the pennies we planted just to make doing our vol. job easier.

I think its awesome ..if your gonna throw away money and someone finds it .. dont complain ..should have used a pull tab

Hey HuntNH? Gotta ask...were they Indian Heads?:fear:
Nope just zincolns.... Really worth getting a sign put up huh? .25 worth of pennies. I guess searching there was a success though... I mean aren't sports fields and play grounds hunted looking for lost ice cream money? I must be awful not having enough people skills, or balls to ask for permission to hunt some private places. I mean with every ball park hunter having untraceable plugs I'd think getting permission on private land would be a snap. It must be just laziness to ask? Or nervous that those plugs aren't as perfect as advertised.

hey you were the first one to litter the place up with pennies then complain when someone picked up your trash

Ah I see what you're doing there...... Do you have children or are you convinced you're the most important person you know?

I have a personal life experience about running and ruining what could have been a talent I'd used in life. I was 17 back in 1968, in high school, ran like a gazzele. I hit a hole with my right foot when I was peaked in stride, and even the ER doctor said I woulda been best off breaking the ankle.

Did a tector dig that hole? Doubtful. If I was a grounds keeper or in charge of sports fields, I would definitely not open tecting by NOT RUNNING off even one tectors, no matter how they dug or didn't dig.

Other peeps seeing tectors working a field will logically assume it's fine and dandy for them too.

Be it a screwdriver or a shovel, I consider sports fields off limits, if they are currently used all the time. martin

Well sorry guys, I didn't start this thread to start a fight, I started it due to the fact that I found the coach's perspective interesting and logical. I haven't had the urge to dig up a playing field yet but would have liked to have had a shot at the surrounding areas, and yes, it was kind of disappointing, but I'm also a grown up and can take a "no" without being traumatized. There's a reason that fence is up around the field, and I can live with it...

I have a personal life experience about running and ruining what could have been a talent I'd used in life. I was 17 back in 1968, in high school, ran like a gazzele. I hit a hole with my right foot when I was peaked in stride, and even the ER doctor said I woulda been best off breaking the ankle.

Did a tector dig that hole? Doubtful. If I was a grounds keeper or in charge of sports fields, I would definitely not open tecting by NOT RUNNING off even one tectors, no matter how they dug or didn't dig.

Other peeps seeing tectors working a field will logically assume it's fine and dandy for them too.

Be it a screwdriver or a shovel, I consider sports fields off limits, if they are currently used all the time. martin

Pretty much my attitude toward the playing surface too. I had bad ankles as a kid and could twist the holy bejeebers out of them on the smallest hole or bump, and did frequently while playing baseball, and even while playing basketball on a perfectly un-bumpy gym floor...

And yes, as much work as these guys put into those fields, I understand why they're touchy about anyone digging them no matter how skilled they may be.

I hunt baseball fields in winter,football fields in spring.I respect the grounds and the efforts to maintain them.During their respective seasons,I search elsewhere,but these are public areas that I am just as entitled to enjoy as anyone else.The public tolerates the noise,traffic,expense and litter that sporting event crowds generate,but objects to MDing the same areas.I've never seen an athlete replace a plug of grass their cleats kicked up or pick up trash during their games.Until I do,I'll just keep on taking the high road,and digging it.----GL HH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom