Finding old house to Detect

JOEC66

How do you guys and girls find old house to Detect,I have no problem asking for premission to Detect there houses..Please help me how you guys find houses in the 1800's or later,Been trying to go to real estate agencies for old house for sale..

I either see old houses that look interesting when I'm out and about, or compare old historical maps with modern ones for locations. Most of the ones on the old maps are either gone or just ruins but once in a while there's still an old house on site.

Get familiar with the boundaries of the older parts of town. Checking out real estate sites sometimes helps. Also, some local property tax online search sites list age of home. As a quick reference, I check out what a house's foundation is made of. Where I live, a foundation made of natural stone usually puts it at least into the very early 1900s.

Old houses

If your county has property tax aprraisal website it usually shows date built or you can look at county office in their book

Sanbourne maps show some good stuff from 1870s to1930s

Genealogy branch of your local library is a good place for information and maps and most have been digitalized so you can access quite a few of them on your computer and already mentioned Historic map works another site is Digital heritage by state. You can go to a lot of library's on line without a card Kansas city public library isn't bad and you can go to that on line without a card also USGS. Good luck

Joe - where you at? Sometimes that is easier or harder depending on where you live. Where I live there are old houses on every street and it's just a matter of getting to know all the neighbors.

Try your local historical society - if you can't get to the society themselves local bookstores often carry the books that they write about your area, as do libraries. When you go out of town on a research field trip, look for the public library or historical society.

Joe - where you at? Sometimes that is easier or harder depending on where you live. Where I live there are old houses on every street and it's just a matter of getting to know all the neighbors.

Try your local historical society - if you can't get to the society themselves local bookstores often carry the books that they write about your area, as do libraries. When you go out of town on a research field trip, look for the public library or historical society.

I'm on Long Island NY,We have alot of beaches and such,But i need to find the old houses and just ask for premission.Which i have no problem doing as long as the house have enough propity for me to swing on.Will look into the local historical society for sure.

I look for ones that look old! Getting familiar with architectural styles can be really helpful..

Google image "victorian style house"....

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom