How much overlap while swinging?

fjlee

I have a Bounty Hunter 4 with the original OEM 8 inch concentric coil.

The actual outside diameter of the outter coil is about 8 1/2 inches. The inner coil measure 4 inches outside diameter.

If I'm on flat ground thats relatively free of bumps, weeds, obstacles, etc.......I usually swing the coil in an approx. 120-140 degree arc.

I'm usually looking for coins, probably no deeper than 6 inches.

I am NOT very experienced, but have successfully dug a few dollars face value of modern USA coins.

To reasonably ensure that I don't miss too many targets, how far forward should I advance with each swinging arc?

Two inches? 4 inches? 6 inches?? A full 8 inches?

Tips and comments surely welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you......

FjLee Denver CO

Swing suggestions

I'd recommend that you work to shorten your swing so that it is straight, rather than an arc and take several seconds from one end to the other. Then overlap each swing by about half a coil moving ahead a small step at a time to accomplish this. Keep the coil parallel and close to the ground as reasonably possible and don't swing it up at the end of your swing. Low and slow is the way to go.
BB

I'd recommend that you work to shorten your swing so that it is straight, rather than an arc and take several seconds from one end to the other. Then overlap each swing by about half a coil moving ahead a small step at a time to accomplish this. Keep the coil parallel and close to the ground as reasonably possible and don't swing it up at the end of your swing. Low and slow is the way to go.
BB

Yup, like a VERY compact "S" pattern. For pinpointing the finds, do an "X" from one side and then move 90 degrees and do it again.

Dusty

Well if it is concentric the coil lays down a cone shaped detection signal so the deeper you go the less it see's like \/ so say you have a 8in coil, at surface level you will see everything under the coil but 6in down you may only be seeing 2in of ground per sweep. I was always told to overlap about 50%. I suppose with the DD coil and a pattern like [ ] you are seeing the full surface of the coil even at depth.

Folks..thank you for the response.

BarberBill.....you say to move forward "half a coil".....

Which coil?... Big'un...or.... little'un?

Tnx again......

FjLee Denver CO

To BarberBill......

As stated in my original post/query......I have one coil. The OEM concentric coil.

The actual outside diameter of the outer coil is about 8 1/2 inches. The inner coil measures 4 inches outside diameter.

So your advice is to advance 1/2 of the coil diameter per swing. One-half of the diameter of the 8 1/2 inch coil, or one-half the diameter of the 4 inch coil?

I appreciate your response and your advice, but I want to make sure I understand what you're telling me. Are you saying to advance approx. 4 inches per swing, or approx. 2 inches per swing?

The fact that I'm a beginner is showing, isn't it?....... Buy hey....I'm workin' on it!!

Thank you again, folks, for the responses.......

FjLee SW Denver CO

My favorite tip: pretend you're hunting for dimes. Not only that, but my actual dime count DID increase. In other words, I would hunt with the inside width of the smaller inner coil.

Unless your in a hurry, move no more than an inch ahead at a time. 4,8 inches, your missing good stuff. 2 inches at the most........................

Attachments

• depth 1.jpg
    depth 1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 216
  • depth 2.jpg
    depth 2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 196
Hmmmmm........lots of interesting replies.

Lots of illuminating illustrations and graphics, too.

Thank you for that, folks.

Looking at the illustrations, and picturing this in my mind......I can see a "rule of thumb", I think. Maybe this "rule of thumb" would be carrying this topic to the brink of silliness.....but still...... In this case, maybe "over-analyzing" is better than just going out there and thrashing around with a metal detector....hoping to "get lucky"?

If a person is a _THOROUGH_ MD'ing coin hunter, wouldn't that person limit forward movement ((per coil swing)) to a MAXIMUM distance equal to the diameter of the smallest coin expected or wanted? Optimistically assuming that said coin is lying perfectly flat/broadside in relation to the coil?

So if the smallest coin expected is 1/2 inch diameter, forward movement per swing would be 1/2 inch. Or maybe a skosh less, for insurance purposes...?

Swing left, shuffle forward, swing right, shuffle forward......etc.

I'm gonna try this when the ground thaws.

FjLee Denver CO

OK. This is the way I learned. Overlap the coil 2-3 sweeps THEN step forward just enough to start the next 2-3 sweeps. Most people step forward THEN start a sweep. It may even be 4 sweeps depending on your natural stride. What you want to do is find the number of overlapped sweeps that will allow you to NATURALLY and easily step forward till it becomes habit. Just notice other hunters and you'll see what I mean. Most walk a natural gait WHILE sweeping and I have seen some miss an astounding 1-2 feet at a time!

Back
Top Bottom