Help with old town halls

DS_Digger

The countryside throughout the area I live has small town hall buildings scattered all over. Many of these town halls, based on my own eye test, are no longer used by the township. The county's online tax records typically only show that they are owned by the township and then list the building's address.

So my questions... Has anyone had any luck finding a contact to gain permission to such places? And, has anyone had good luck detecting these old town halls? I know their hayday has long passed, but I'd imagine they had quite a bit more activity around them 100 years ago.

As an added note... the one "solution" I've come up with is to start door knocking at the farms closest to the town hall building to just ask for info. I'd assume most people know everyone else in the immediate area and might name drop who I'm looking for. As an added bonus I may walk into getting permission to hunt an old farmhouse.

The countryside throughout the area I live has small town hall buildings scattered all over. Many of these town halls, based on my own eye test, are no longer used by the township. The county's online tax records typically only show that they are owned by the township and then list the building's address.

So my questions... Has anyone had any luck finding a contact to gain permission to such places? And, has anyone had good luck detecting these old town halls? I know their hayday has long passed, but I'd imagine they had quite a bit more activity around them 100 years ago.

I tried one last season.. Since it was public property I didn't worry about permission. It seemed to be as hunted out as any park in the area...

<*)))>{

...The county's online tax records typically only show that they are owned by the township and then list the building's address.....

My thoughts are the same as ice-scratcher's. Based on the above quote, seems to me that you could just go. I mean, use obvious discretion and don't be a nuisance or an eyesore, etc....

My thoughts are the same as ice-scratcher's. Based on the above quote, seems to me that you could just go. I mean, use obvious discretion and don't be a nuisance or an eyesore, etc....

Right, like not during voting, or a town meeting..

<°)))>{

I have checked out a few town halls in smaller municipalities in my state. I never had any problems and even had a few people interested..... but, I never had any luck. In fact, they where some of the most hunted out, clean spots, that I have ever hunted. Seriously... I can think of one in particular where I could not even find a pull tab.

But that's around here where there are very few diggers anymore. Might be different where you live.

I have checked out a few town halls in smaller municipalities in my state. I never had any problems and even had a few people interested..... but, I never had any luck. In fact, they where some of the most hunted out, clean spots, that I have ever hunted. Seriously... I can think of one in particular where I could not even find a pull tab.

But that's around here where there are very few diggers anymore. Might be different where you live.

Maybe I'll give one or two a shot for about an hour or so "test" hunt. Should be able to tell fairly quickly if what you're describing is true around here as well.

I've tried at least 4 or 5 and no luck either. Hard to understand, as I'm sure they had dances, and at least some drinking going on. A real puzzler. I'll try another some day.

I would think they are worth a shot, and there must be a good one out there somewhere.

I tried one last season.. Since it was public property I didn't worry about permission. It seemed to be as hunted out as any park in the area...

<*)))>{

The disco detector crowd hit them hard years ago, at least in MI. I always give it a try if I get the chance though.
I can usually score a old wheatie that was missed because it was on it's side but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom